Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham!

The city centre is nice despite what some people on here have said. C'mon people! All you LSE applicants (and there are lots of you), could you really describe London as being 'pretty'? Or any big city for that matter....
    Bham University is very leafy, clean, safe, and has some beautiful historic red brick buildings. There are shops, and even a Uni branch of Waterstones! The cross city line goes through The on-campus station, and Cadbury's World is nearby! Need I say more?
    All in all, Durham feels more like a small town, with far less going on in the way of major cultural events or nightlife!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katini)
    My cousin went to Birmingham and absolutely loved the place. She graduated two years ago with a First in English Literature and went straight into a very good job at Lloyds of London. She's now doing post-grad teaching at Homerton College, Cambridge (after deciding working in the City is not for her). So basically- she found she had a really good lifestyle there, she really enjoyed the course to excel at it and is now doing exactly what she wants to do. When I applied, she suggested I look round Birmingham and see what I thought about it but it wasn't really for me and I found Durham to be exactly what I wanted.

I think that at either university you can do very well and a lot of the choice over the two will hinge on what you feel when you visit Durham compared with when you visited Birmingham. I don't think you will do badly picking either over the other.

This obviously doesn't make your decision for you but I don't think you should dis-count either until you've seen them both. You could decide to choose Durham right now and then see it and hate the place etc.

Hope this helps somewhat.
    Thanks, can I ask why you decided on Durham over Bham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    Thanks, can I ask why you decided on Durham over Bham?
    I didn't like the course there and in the end I didn't apply to any campus unis because I found every one that I visited, inc Bham, to be stifling. For some reason, despite its size etc, I didn't find Durham to be like that at all.

Obviously there are loads of advantages to being in Birmingham over Durham but when it came down to it, I chose the place where I felt I could live over all of the other factors.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.