Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Ive come to a decision now, chosen Manchester... please help and tell me why this is the right choice.....(or not):confused:

(studying Optometry - unconditional offer)

ReputationRep:
    You'll have a great time cos there's so much to do, both night and day. You'll leave with a degree where you'll easily get areally good well paid job, anything you may be inetersted in will be catered for in or around manchester.

In short, the place is fantastic and whatever makes you happy, you will find that something in manchester.

ReputationRep:
    if ur lucky and i mean real lucky, u might get to meet me!!! lol, just jokin!!! ive put it down as my firm is well!!! i think its wicked!

ReputationRep:
    Huge university so you're likely to meet a diverse cross-section of people, well organised student union so you can get involved in lots of stuff according to your interests, well respected academically and good job prospects, the city itself is just ace and not too bad in terms of the cost of living… erm, lots more.

Honestly, I wouldn't change my choice, and all of my friends feel the same way. That's a fairly good peer review.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to butt in, I've been to Manchester a few times and people here have praised the social life.. but I'm afraid I'm not really into the whole clubbing culture and that really scares me lol.. will Manchester still be good for me? I mean academic-wise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonacristel)
    Sorry to butt in, I've been to Manchester a few times and people here have praised the social life.. but I'm afraid I'm not really into the whole clubbing culture and that really scares me lol.. will Manchester still be good for me? I mean academic-wise?
    Well yes. First and foremost it's a university with high standards.

ReputationRep:
    There are alot of foreign students on my course who don't do the whole nightlife scene and they all seem to be having a good time. There are lots of union events, there are enough cinemas, theres a bowling alley and laser quest in didsbury, as well as plenty of other things to do at night.

ReputationRep:
    hi, me again,but what if I am not that much into night scene (I had my days), but am a mum with kiddies and married:p: , so we only do the odd night now and rather in quiet romantic places hehe , I also love the countryside and love hiking and maybe just going for a walk, is there enough for the nature lover and outdoors-person in that area, I know North Wales is not too far...... thats the only thing that worries me, not really a city babe!

ReputationRep:
    The Lake District isn't far away - all the countryside you can handle up there!

ReputationRep:
    THE NIGHT LIFEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! enuff said

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really into the night life.

There is however a lot of TA unit in and around Manchester if that is your sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by norelle)
    The Lake District isn't far away - all the countryside you can handle up there!
    Wales is a 45min car journey away, far better than the lake district.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've seen the TA around Manchester but I thought that was just for the army..? So what do students have to do with it? I'm not really your army kind of girl lol.

And it's nice to know the countryside's not too far away! The city itself is great but a bit of greenery's good too

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've seen the TA around Manchester but I thought that was just for the army..? So what do students have to do with it? I'm not really your army kind of girl lol.

And it's nice to know the countryside's not too far away! The city itself is great but a bit of greenery's good too
    TA is a good source of income while at university! You go when you want, as much as you want, as little as you want. It's also a good laugh.

ReputationRep:
    I personally love Saddleworth. Its only a very short (20 mins or so) train ride away and there are some great little villages and lots of hills, forests and moors for hiking if thats your thing. Personally, I love getting my mountain bike out of the city to where its meant to be.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.