The Student Room Group

i cant chose between Maths and Engineering

I am currently a A2 student studying Maths F.Maths and Physics.I really loved some of the maths modules i done especially mechanics , proof by induction ,trig,differentiating , other proofs and really enjoyed further maths modules alot. i get this great thrill when i do maths questions and get a great satisfaction after i get a question right , and i would go to whatever lengths to get the answer right even if it takes me hours to get it right. i love doing maths and it makes my happy i guess. but i also love cars , i am fanatic about them and loved every thing about them and the technical stuff. i am really passionate about them every since i was a little kid. i like watching engineering programs and reading about new technolgies out there. but i am so confused as what to do as a degree. i love maths but people say at degree level its so abstract that it gets boring. and i have no idea what type of things you would do in a maths or a engineering degree. please advise . also what is a average work day of a maths / engineer in a career.

Maths-A
F.Maths-A
Physics-B
Chemistry-B dropped

predicted A*AA ,
Also what universities should i be aiming and have a chance of getting an offer from?

sorry i written a bit of a essay here. :colondollar:
What do you want to do for a career?

The maths that you do in an engineering degree is very similar to the style of maths taught in school, plus a lot of physics as well. Throw in some hands on work in the workshops, labs, and business modules and that's essentially an engineering degree.
Reply 2
Choose maths and engineering then :smile:
Reply 3
There's plenty of maths in an engineering degree, more than any other single subject (my degree, anyway). It's not all mechanics either, which was a misconception I had. I wasn't much good at maths (relatively) and it caused me a lot of problems with mech eng - it's often near enough impossible to get marks unless you can solve the maths of the question, even if you understand what's happening. Mind you, some of the best marks on my course were achieved by people I wouldn't trust to pick up a hammer by the right end - one was averaging 90% or so across the first two years but couldn't identify a spark plug...
Reply 4
I believe there is a course called 'Mathematical Engineering' look it up :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Smack
What do you want to do for a career?

The maths that you do in an engineering degree is very similar to the style of maths taught in school, plus a lot of physics as well. Throw in some hands on work in the workshops, labs, and business modules and that's essentially an engineering degree.

what exactly do you mean by 'similar to maths taught in school'? In what way similar?
Reply 6
is there alot of course work or project that you have to make , and is there alot of scale drawing, blue prints , and computer work . i also heard that nowadays most engineers just work on the pc doing drawing, plannings ect...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by CurlyBen
There's plenty of maths in an engineering degree, more than any other single subject (my degree, anyway). It's not all mechanics either, which was a misconception I had. I wasn't much good at maths (relatively) and it caused me a lot of problems with mech eng - it's often near enough impossible to get marks unless you can solve the maths of the question, even if you understand what's happening. Mind you, some of the best marks on my course were achieved by people I wouldn't trust to pick up a hammer by the right end - one was averaging 90% or so across the first two years but couldn't identify a spark plug...

what type of maths?? thanks for the reply
Original post by bestofyou
what exactly do you mean by 'similar to maths taught in school'? In what way similar?

Well in my experience university maths was essentially a continuation of my higher maths course taught in school. Lots of people in the Maths forum say that maths at university isn't like maths taught at school in that it's a lot more abstract. I didn't do A-levels, but I'd imagine that Highers are almost identical, and maths at higher and in an engineering course is about using maths to solve problems, rather than the actual maths itself.
Reply 9
Original post by rany345
what type of maths?? thanks for the reply

Lots and lots of calculus, matrices, vector calculus, Taylor's theorem, trig identities, vectors, Fourier series, partial differential equations.. that's what I remember (covering, not how to use!). Mechanics was a separate course, and there was at least one optional maths module. It's also used a lot in other modules, structures in particular can be quite vicious with solutions taking a good couple of pages. Try having a look at the engineering maths syllabi - I know Southampton has them up online, outline at least. Obviously you're not going to be covering the variety of maths topics you would in a maths degree, but you get plenty of chance to use maths. If you're good at maths it probably won't constantly challenge you, I took 2 attempts to get a B in maths A level (a few years back now) and managed to get through the course.

No scale drawing or blueprints. Some CAD work, not a massive amount though. There's coursework in most modules, and some projects - best bit of the course! As for careers, depends what you want to do - tons of scope to be doing things beside design. Any idea what you want to do as a career? That might give you a better idea which course to study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending