Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just went to cook my tea and have come back and the whole of the bar across the bottom of the screen (where the start button and task manager is) has disappeared...all i did was leave it for half an hour!!! Does anyone know how to get it back? I still can get to word and explorer (as they are on the left of my screen as usual) but there is nothing at the bottom of the screen, so if i minimise the window i can't get it back.

I shall be eternally grateful for anyone who can help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    I just went to cook my tea and have come back and the whole of the bar across the bottom of the screen (where the start button and task manager is) has disappeared...all i did was leave it for half an hour!!! Does anyone know how to get it back? I still can get to word and explorer (as they are on the left of my screen as usual) but there is nothing at the bottom of the screen, so if i minimise the window i can't get it back.

it should be at the bottom
    close the browser and go to the desktop
    you'll see just the top of the bar; drag it up.

it might be on the sides or the top though
    if it is, drag it to the middle of the screen
    then drag it down to the bottom

ReputationRep:
    Try restarting your computer.

ReputationRep:

yea restart it it must be ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    yea restart it it must be ok
    I've restarted it twice and its still the same.

And kikzen, i can't drag it up because it just isn't there, nor on the top or the sides... :confused:

Stupid computer, i haven't even done anything to it!!

If you have a "windows key" on your keyboard, try pressing that and hopefully it will gove you a clue where your taskbar is because it will pop up the start menu!!!

ReputationRep:
    Stupid computer, i haven't even done anything to it!!
    Yes, they're very stupid. I hate them even though i work with them. But i know that they don't change themselves it's usually user-error.

So you said you went away from your computer for 30 minutes, no-one touched your computer and it's changed itself? Could it be a virus or trojan?

Do ctrl+alt+del then go to task manager and go to the processes tab and list what you have running there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    If you have a "windows key" on your keyboard, try pressing that and hopefully it will gove you a clue where your taskbar is because it will pop up the start menu!!!
    I've got a button that looks like its a windows key but i press it and it does nothing...

This couldn't have happened at a worse time, or to a more computer dunce person!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Yes, they're very stupid. I hate them even though i work with them. But i know that they don't change themselves it's usually user-error.

So you said you went away from your computer for 30 minutes, no-one touched your computer and it's changed itself? Could it be a virus or trojan?

Do ctrl+alt+del then go to task manager and go to the processes tab and list what you have running there.
    Yep nobody went near my computer, i just left it on as usual. I did a full virus scan about 2 hours ago, and nothing came up.

However I did get some emails earlier, and when i tried to open them it came up with something like 'cannot find information' or something...i had only opened them because they were from the swimming club about the social on monday which was a thing i already knew about it and didn't seem weird at first, but could that be it? There were no attachments to the emails i don't think.

ReputationRep:
    Yep nobody went near my computer, i just left it on as usual. I did a full virus scan about 2 hours ago, and nothing came up.

However I did get some emails earlier, and when i tried to open them it came up with something like 'cannot find information' or something...i had only opened them because they were from the swimming club about the social on monday which was a thing i already knew about it and didn't seem weird at first, but could that be it? There were no attachments to the emails i don't think.
    do me a favour please
    take a screenshot (press prtscn; its above insert, which is right of the enter button)
    and paste it in paint
    save it as a jpeg and put it up here.

(if you cant get to teh start menu, right click on the desktop, create a new shortcut and when it asks for the program type mspaint)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    do me a favour please
    take a screenshot (press prtscn; its above insert, which is right of the enter button)
    and paste it in paint
    save it as a jpeg and put it up here.

(if you cant get to teh start menu, right click on the desktop, create a new shortcut and when it asks for the program type mspaint)
    nothing comes up when i press print screen at all :confused:

ReputationRep:
    nothing comes up when i press print screen at all :confused:
    hm? nothing will come up, you just need to paste it in paint...

ReputationRep:

Cry, but silently. Seriously though, what OS are you using?

ReputationRep:
    Unless you opened up an attachment you should be ok.

I looked on the start menu properties and there is an option named: "Auto-hide the taskbar" is it possible that you may have clicked this by mistake?

What happens if you start in safe mode? Does it appear then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Unless you opened up an attachment you should be ok.

I looked on the start menu properties and there is an option named: "Auto-hide the taskbar" is it possible that you may have clicked this by mistake?

What happens if you start in safe mode? Does it appear then?
    hm auto hide! never thought of that. try movign the mouse around the edges of the screen. that should make it popup if its auto hidden

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Cry, but silently. Seriously though, what OS are you using?
    OS? Does that mean XP? I have a laptop (which is barely 6 months old) running on XP.

ReputationRep:
    Have you installed any new software? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Have you installed any new software? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
    I did actually use my floppy disc drive today (its an external USB one as this is a laptop) so that counts as new software. The operating system is microsoft XP.

ReputationRep:
    I did actually use my floppy disc drive today (its an external USB one as this is a laptop) so that counts as new software. The operating system is microsoft XP.
    You can try restarting your PC, and repeatedly press F8. A boot screen menu shall present itself, select initially 'Last known Confiuration', if its still not there, then choose 'safe mode'.

ReputationRep:
    hm, so the task bar has disappeared?
    first try pressing and holding control and escape. that should make the start bar pop up, confirming if its there or not. if its not, then that is weird. ive never heard about a prob like that one.
    if u have sytem restore active on ur pc and u have created a restore point, then refer back to it (i dont bother with this personally). if all else fails, put in the xp disc and choose repai.

but before that, take the mouse to the bottom of the screen and see if someone just took it all the way to the bottom! people do that sometimes to be irritating.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.