Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Who else hasnt made their firm choice yet? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I havent chosen yet cause im changing course and ucas havent put it up yet...i duno if im leaving it till really late, has anyone else not made their final choices yet?.

hope i still get the good accomedation

ReputationRep:
    I haven't put my firm yet and I am 99% sure where I want to go. I am going to see the university on April 22nd.

As for your accommodation, most universities do not operate on a first-come, first-serve basis, with many leaving it until after results have come through before allocating accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't just have to discuss it with family next week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m1kes)
    As for your accommodation, most universities do not operate on a first-come, first-serve basis, with many leaving it until after results have come through before allocating accommodation.
    Basically :ditto:. Some universities have accomodation systems with dealines in June (I'm thinking about KCL) and those who apply in this first round are given preferred consideration or something like that. It makes no difference if you apply now for acoomodation or in May.

Everything will be fine as long as reply by the date shown on track.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, i've still got to see Cardiff before i make my firm, although i think i know my insurance (Reading).

BTW Mikey: you're grades scare me!! Especially considering you are such a NAUGHTY NAUGHTY boy in our English lessons!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eccentric Man)

BTW Mikey: you're grades scare me!! Especially considering you are such a NAUGHTY NAUGHTY boy in our English lessons!
    hah - How so Ted? I thought I was the cornerstone of the class

And Ted, you should no - it's your not you're...

ReputationRep:
    I did it last night! Just make sure you do it before the deadline, or you'll be in trouble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m1kes)
    And Ted, you should no - it's your not you're...
    He's awake Just testing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m1kes)
    I haven't put my firm yet and I am 99% sure where I want to go. I am going to see the university on April 22nd.

What do you think you'll go for. I can't decide between Bristol and Exeter for Law and French.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by law_lad_88)
    What do you think you'll go for. I can't decide between Bristol and Exeter for Law and French.
    I went to the Law open day for Exeter and have discarded it since. It was an awful open day IMO. There was absolutely no sign for the Law open day, resulting in everyone waiting outside for someone to direct us. The talk by the Head of Law lasted around 3minutes and was proceeded by a talk by the Head of Admission, who, frankly, was awful. He seemed to be nervous and his presentation was rushed.

This was followed by a walk on campus and a guide explaining that most of the accomodation is catered! So I asked what time breakfast is on till - 9:30AM!!! She suggested buying cereal before a night out to which I was astounded - why pay £100+ for catered halls and not eat the food? She commented that the food 'had gone down hill.'

I have a friend who had a similar experience on his open day. I was disappointed but this was before my offer from Warwick - which seems set to be my firm.

Hope that helps. I don't mean to paint Exeter as having an awful Law faculty - because clearly it doesn't. But the experience I had instilled very little confidence of spending three years there.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't made firm choice, booked accomodation, arranged finance issues, decided if i want to do course...

ReputationRep:
    I haevn't made my firm choice yet, but thats because my parents don't agree with where i want to go

ReputationRep:
    me....
    but that's because im scared i'll change my mind!!! and im not 100% sure on insurance yet. i might go do it now though.

ReputationRep:
    If you are undecided about where to go, why not check out http://www.qaa.org.uk/reviews/default.asp and see the Quality Assurance Agency's independant academic reviews of every course and University in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Good idea, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m1kes)
    I went to the Law open day for Exeter and have discarded it since. It was an awful open day IMO. There was absolutely no sign for the Law open day, resulting in everyone waiting outside for someone to direct us. The talk by the Head of Law lasted around 3minutes and was proceeded by a talk by the Head of Admission, who, frankly, was awful. He seemed to be nervous and his presentation was rushed.

This was followed by a walk on campus and a guide explaining that most of the accomodation is catered! So I asked what time breakfast is on till - 9:30AM!!! She suggested buying cereal before a night out to which I was astounded - why pay £100+ for catered halls and not eat the food? She commented that the food 'had gone down hill.'

I have a friend who had a similar experience on his open day. I was disappointed but this was before my offer from Warwick - which seems set to be my firm.

Hope that helps. I don't mean to paint Exeter as having an awful Law faculty - because clearly it doesn't. But the experience I had instilled very little confidence of spending three years there.
    Sounds like you had a bad time! It's weird, because when I went there I fell in love with it and everything was well-organised (although this was for English). Really, if possible, you should visit; some people will love a given uni and some will hate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by law_lad_88)
    If I were you I'd go with Bristol. Well, I'm a bit bias.. So what? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Well, i cant talk for all universities, but i know for a fact that the uni ive applied to has started allocating accommodation out. Ive been given my top choice for accommodation which is good and already paid a deposit. I reckon some unis must do a first come, first serve basis.

ReputationRep:
    I still need to sort out a few e-mail before I make my firm and insurance...

is it ok to choose your firm and insurance in the same Uni?

ReputationRep:
    ^^yeah it is okay!
    I'm still completely undecided and now wish I had applied to unis in London so might have to take gap year and re-apply.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.