The Student Room Group

Solutions to Racism. Please Discuss :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
paint everyone in the world in one single colour. BEST SOLUTION EVER
Reply 61
Original post by kevin6767
Not really a troll. More like taking the piss.

Got nothing better to do I guess? :smile:
Kill all the racists.
Well, racism is very complex.

We need to cleanse the media, add a few hundred years of history, and attack it from it's grass roots.

If you want a long term fix, it will take a while.

1. be the change you want.
Not really a troll. More like taking the piss.

As above, so below. Just making a parallel to some of the posters in this thread. A.k.a taking le piss :smile:
Reply 65
paint everyone the same colour . then everyone is the same
Reply 66
Original post by cl_steele
heres the dictionary definition of what race is and then what racism is;
Racism:
noun
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Race:
noun
a group of persons related by common descent or heredity.
a population so related.
Anthropology .
a.
any of the traditional divisions of humankind, the commonest being the caucasian, Mongoloid, and Negro, characterized by supposedly distinctive and universal physical characteristics: no longer in technical use.
b.
an arbitrary classification of modern humans, sometimes, especially formerly, based on any or a combination of various physical characteristics, as skin color, facial form, or eye shape, and now frequently based on such genetic markers as blood groups.
c.
a human population partially isolated reproductively from other populations, whose members share a greater degree of physical and genetic similarity with one another than with other humans.

now does it say anything about religion? No so stop being ignorant and 'open your eyes' Someone who hates people based on religion would simply be a bigot.

Yuo go by the books, I go by what i see.
Reply 67
Original post by anil1
Yuo go by the books, I go by what i see.

Then you see nothing, racism is racism it has nothing to do with religion no matter how much you want to compare the two.
It is not the argument the EDL put out at all. They are solely obsessed with islam and no other faith, wanting to see it removed from Britain. I was saying criticise all religions and highlight their inherent nonesense.

Yes it is. It is exactly the argument that the EDL trot out. When the accusation of racism rears it's head, they point to the fact that Islam is a religion and not a race. However, when people decide that they hate muslims, the reasons they offer can sometimes go beyond religion - immigration issues, culture, dress, skin colour (majority) - some of which extend close to the realms of racism. So whilst it isn't racism in the literal sense it can have definite racial undertones to it. So it doesn't matter that religion transcends race because it all boils down to one thing - discrimination. You can dance round words all day but ultimately this is what matters. This is what matters at grass-roots level and this is what matters to people who are the victims.

To summarise all of the above, I felt that the point made by the other forum member was worthy of consideration rather than simply being dismissed as 'incorrect' because of a poor choice of words.

Just to clarify a further point in case you raise it, I would have thought it was obvious to anyone with a brain-cell that criticising the specifics of a religion is in no way racist.

Are you a muslim yourself? Or of any particular religious affliation? If you are a Christian or a Muslim I would like to point out that you are almost as much of an atheist as me. Well then again I don't consider myself a full blown atheist because I believe anyone that tries to tell me what will happen to me when I die is either a fool or a liar. Since humans started writing things down there have been a documented account of over 2870 deities. I don't believe in 2870, muslims don't believe in 2869

I'm an atheist, so I don't believe in a God or Gods. On that point, the idea that you can be 'almost atheist' in terms of the number of Gods that you believe in is as absurd an idea as it is childlike. Can you imagine a pious muslim who devotes his entire life to the teachings of Islam describing himself as almost atheist because he only believes in one God? I certainly can't.
Reply 69
So far,no one has given me a sensible solution yet! :facepalm:
I think banning the words 'racist' and 'racism' would actually help the situation.

Very few people actually know the real meaning of the words anyway.
Before I give what I believe to be the best way to stop racism, just want to clarify things with a few definitions:

Firstly, what is racism? A common sort of definition which I think most people would agree with is 'Discrimination against someone based on their race (i.e. certain natural characteristics such as skin colour) '

Now, I'd like to point out that the umbrella concept which racism and all other things like that e.g. sexism comes under is discrimination. Every single version of mistreatment based on some kind of superficial trait is discrimination. Therefore, rather than focusing on just racism we could focus on how to stop discrimination.

The way to find out how to stop discrimination is to look at what causes it. This is simple: all discrimination happens due to one person's belief that they are superior to another person. As this is discrimination generally, it could be any kind of discrimination e.g. racism, sexism. Note that I say 'belief' which means they have no logical proof for believing that a certain superficial thing about them makes them better than someone else.

So what makes people compare themselves to other people and sort of 'rank' themselves as either better or worse? I'd say pride, but I only use the word 'pride' for lack of a better word. What I mean is, people who have pride and then act opon it. So you could be proud of the fact you've earnt a lot of money, but as long as you're modest about it and don't start thinking and then subsequently acting as if you're better than a poor person, you're okay. The second pride becomes a problem is when people actually act upon it.

Another example for you:

Imagine two people who both have a PhD in medicine. One may say "I'm really happy with how I have such a good expertise and so much knowledge in this field - I'm really lucky." The other may say "I'm so brilliant I'm a doctor, look at all these other people who aren't as intelligent as me."

See the difference? The second person is prejudiced towards everyone who isn't a doctor, and will likely discriminate due to that prejudice. The first person however shows no prejudice with which to discriminate based on.

So thats my take on it anyway; people's pride lead to them becoming prejudiced and then discriminating against other people - totally irrationally in the case of racism.

You can't really stop it in my opinion. As long as its socially condemned, thats as good as we can get, so we're doing good at the moment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending