Protocol Question Watch

This discussion is closed.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
The is the question Im struggling with....

11) When a processor needs to communicate with a hard disk drive it is necessary to use a protocol.

a) Describe the meaning of the term protocol

b) Describe two parts of this protocol

The protocol is arranged in a layered fashion and a half duplex data transmission is used

c) State what is meant by layering a protocol giving a reason why it is done

d) Explain why half duplex is suitable

I know how to answer little bits of the whole thing but I cant quite put it all together in a way that makes sense. I have no idea about (c) though.
mexx
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Leekey
The is the question Im struggling with....

11) When a processor needs to communicate with a hard disk drive it is necessary to use a protocol.

a) Describe the meaning of the term protocol

b) Describe two parts of this protocol

The protocol is arranged in a layered fashion and a half duplex data transmission is used

c) State what is meant by layering a protocol giving a reason why it is done

d) Explain why half duplex is suitable

I know how to answer little bits of the whole thing but I cant quite put it all together in a way that makes sense. I have no idea about (c) though.
First Of all, alsalam alikom,
May peace be upon You,
then i say, i may not be able to answer all the Questions here, but we may share our knowledge to get the best.
so i think that i will answer the first two Qs, and it's from my understanding to the T171 subject.

“A protocol is a set of rules which determine how two or more entities interact and communicate”

hence, when saying that the processor needs to communicate with a hard ware drive, this means that we aer trying to logon to the net, and that means that we will use two protocols, ( or maybe more ) the PPP, SLIP which are used in the link layer.
-What goes on in this layer?
--> Setting up a connection between the transmitting Computer and the Internet ( e.g. by dial-up modem)
so i think that we may need to use the telnet protocol ! do we?

n e wya, i think that you may know these information, but what i'm sure of is that i dont know the rest of the answer, i'm so sorry. just wanted to help as much as i could.

Good luck, hoping you all the best.
God Blesses...
salam now,
may peace be upon You.
Yours,
mexx
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Cheers for the reply
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.66%
Excited (154)
9.11%
Worried (303)
17.92%
Terrified (376)
22.24%
Meh (162)
9.58%
Confused (37)
2.19%