should i press charges? Watch

This discussion is closed.
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I knew what sex involved when I was under 16 - hence me screaming and running away. I don't "not knowing" is a very good reason if the law IS based on that.
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
It's not rape if she consented. How about a 16 and a fifteen year old? Or a 15 year old and a 14 year old. Or an 17 year old girl and a 15 year old boy? It's just the same and I wouldn't call it rape.
It is statutory rape.
happysunshine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by moo100times)
as far as i was aware, it is illegal to have sex with a girl under the age of 16, whether she consents to it or not. it was an act passed something like girls under the age of 16 do not know what sex really entails, and thus cant be trusted to make the correct decision(something along these lines).
I know the law and this is one I disagree with. Girls under 16 don't know what sex entails, maybe but why do so many do it? What is the point having a law passed when so many people abuse it? I wouldn't see it fair that one male can be prosecuted for sleeping with a 14 year old for example and another wouldn't be.

I agree under sixteen year olds possibly are not making the right descisions when choosing to sleep with someone but it's their choice and we can try and prevent them all we like but it wont stop them.
Perplexed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by moo100times)
as far as i was aware, it is illegal to have sex with a girl under the age of 16, whether she consents to it or not. it was an act passed something like girls under the age of 16 do not know what sex really entails, and thus cant be trusted to make the correct decision(something along these lines).
She's talking morally, not legally.

Even if she is under the age of consent, she may feel emotionally and physically ready for sex. At this juncture morality precedes legality as mentally and biologically speaking she is at the same stage as a 16 year old.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
It is statutory rape.
Indeed and I don't like the word 'rape' in it.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Alec)
She's talking morally, not legally.

Even if she is under the age of consent, she may feel emotionally and physically ready for sex. At this juncture morality precedes legality as mentally and biologically speaking she is at the same stage as a 16 year old.
An interesting point I would make is that the Ancients got their wifes pregnant at age 13. In most cases biologically at 14/15 a girl is more fertile than when she is 25.
Perplexed
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
An interesting point I would make is that the Ancients got their wifes pregnant at age 13. In most cases biologically at 14/15 a girl is more fertile than when she is 25.
Very true, but due to excessive mollycoddling (which is by no means a bad thing), girls of this age are no longer mature enough to mother a child in modern Western society, even if they are to have sex.
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
That was me. I was trying to say that if she knew in her heart of hearts that she consented it would be morally wrong to incriminate him. DOn't be pressured by social services (to press charges) or by him (not to press charges). You need to make up your own mind, and like I said in my last post - stand up for yourself from now on because it's an important life skill

It could have happened to me too but I was strong enough to say no and to get out of there sharpish.
I agree 100%, She didn't want to do it, but she didn't say no either. That's not rape, from what was said I think it would be wrong to press charges as it doesn't sound as if she was forced into it at all. So he persuaded her that's what guys do, you have to beable to say no and follow thru.
I have one question for the poster, did he know how old you were at the time?
Digger
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Infinity)
I agree 100%, She didn't want to do it, but she didn't say no either. That's not rape, from what was said I think it would be wrong to press charges as it doesn't sound as if she was forced into it at all. So he persuaded her that's what guys do, you have to beable to say no and follow thru.
I have one question for the poster, did he know how old you were at the time?
through
Perplexed
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Digger)
through
Oh don't be pedantic.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
through

I'm sure "thru" is standard in America. Besides, SO many people use text speak in here. I don't see you correcting the orginal poster's mistakes.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
There is no need to be so pedantic on a forum. Most of the mistakes made by members is not due to poor spelling, but rather not pressing the correct key.
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
through
Grrrr!
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Grrrr!
Grrrrr
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Is this true?

I thought that if it was the case then it is your parents who are the ones who get the choice whether to press charges?
How did social services get involved, if you went for the morning after pill it would be confidential? So unless you contacted social services yourself this wouldnt be an issue. If your parents are involved the prosecution decision would rest with them and the police because you are not deemed old enough to consent because you are a minor.
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
Grrrrr
Don't make me pull out my claws.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Don't make me pull out my claws.
Don't you mean tentacles?
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
Is this true?

I thought that if it was the case then it is your parents who are the ones who get the choice whether to press charges?
How did social services get involved, if you went for the morning after pill it would be confidential? So unless you contacted social services yourself this wouldnt be an issue. If your parents are involved the prosecution decision would rest with them and the police because you are not deemed old enough to consent because you are a minor.
Nice catch viviki. Yeah the whole situation doesn't sit well w/ me, either it didn't happen or there is more to it than is being said.
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
Don't you mean testacles?
Excuse me!? Nah those are Juwels.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Excuse me!? Nah those are Juwels.
lol
Hmm, I attribute your poor quoting abilities due to old age. I am pretty certain I said tentacles.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (100)
39.68%
No - but I will (12)
4.76%
No - I don't want to (16)
6.35%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (124)
49.21%

Watched Threads