Turn on thread page Beta

My mother won't let me cut my hair! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My mother absolutely refuses to let me cut my hair how I want it, I am 16 in a month and get good grades and it is MY hair and it does grow :P I have persistently been asking her to let me get side bangs and layers for about a year now and I've just about given up! I was thinking of just going out and getting it done (with my own money) but I am not sure how angry she will be (bearing up in mind that she is extraordinarily prone to over reaction) does anyone have any advice? Thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Go to the hairdressers, say how you want it cut. Get it cut the way you want it.

Sorted.

Really not a problem here at all :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Why doesn't she want you to cut it?

ReputationRep:
    It's hair, it grows back and you mum will get over it.

ReputationRep:
    Tell her that if she doesn't let you cut your own hair you'll shave hers while she's asleep.

Done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chezzaz)
    My mother absolutely refuses to let me cut my hair how I want it, I am 16 in a month and get good grades and it is MY hair and it does grow :P I have persistently been asking her to let me get side bangs and layers for about a year now and I've just about given up! I was thinking of just going out and getting it done (with my own money) but I am not sure how angry she will be (bearing up in mind that she is extraordinarily prone to over reaction) does anyone have any advice? Thanks

Reading this bit makes me feel so out of touch, I have no idea what it means!

It sounds crazy (girls with half shaved heads type of thing), in which case I'd side with your mother... On the other hand, if it's pretty normal-looking, then I'd just get it done. My sister had the same situation with my mother (who also has a tendency to over-react), so she just went off and had her hair done the way she wanted it (nothing particularly drastic), and she was remarkably relaxed about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrogInABog)

It sounds crazy (girls with half shaved heads type of thing), in which case I'd side with your mother... On the other hand, if it's pretty normal-looking, then I'd just get it done. My sister had the same situation with my mother (who also has a tendency to over-react), so she just went off and had her hair done the way she wanted it (nothing particularly drastic), and she was remarkably relaxed about it.
    I think 'bangs' are either an american word for 'fringe' or just longer pieces of hair by the side of her face. Layers are what pretty much everyone gets to add some sort of texture to their hair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrogInABog)

it's like a side fringe with layers which sort of add volume so it is fairly normal looking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabian92)
    Tell her that if she doesn't let you cut your own hair you'll shave hers while she's asleep.

Done.
    Hahaha that may increase the likelihood of my early death drastically

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Go to the hairdressers, say how you want it cut. Get it cut the way you want it.

Sorted.

Really not a problem here at all :lolwut:
    Maybe I will just do that, just a little scared of what she will do because she essentially told me that I can't go on a trip if I do get that done but I guess I want my new hairstyle more than pretty much anything but once it's done it's done and theres nothing she can do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexandra's Box)
    Why doesn't she want you to cut it?
    My hair has always been long (waist length) and i know that she likes that but I think she is just being unreasonable

ReputationRep:
    Well, if it's that long then I can understand why your mum isn't so keen on the idea. It does take a long time for hair to grow back (I had mine cut short seven years ago and it's only just getting back to original length) so it's a relatively big decision, but it will grow back eventually so it's not as permanent as if you were getting a tattoo.

If you don't want to risk problems with your mother, then I would advise trying to talk her round with reason, rather than just getting it done in secret. It's not just that she would be upset about your hair, there's a risk that she will find it more difficult to trust you in future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plumstone)
    Well, if it's that long then I can understand why your mum isn't so keen on the idea. It does take a long time for hair to grow back (I had mine cut short seven years ago and it's only just getting back to original length) so it's a relatively big decision, but it will grow back eventually so it's not as permanent as if you were getting a tattoo.

If you don't want to risk problems with your mother, then I would advise trying to talk her round with reason, rather than just getting it done in secret. It's not just that she would be upset about your hair, there's a risk that she will find it more difficult to trust you in future.
    I guess you're right but I think she may be really difficult to reason with as she refuses to talk about it when I bring it up did you regret it a lot when you cut your hair, was it a massive difference? I have never had short hair before and although I want it I'm a little scared to change it...

ReputationRep:
    On the other hand, my mum insists I don't keep my hair long

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha that may increase the likelihood of my early death drastically

End of the day, it's your head, if you cut it and she then finds out, what is she realistically going to do? Make you put it back?

ReputationRep:
    I guess you're right but I think she may be really difficult to reason with as she refuses to talk about it when I bring it up did you regret it a lot when you cut your hair, was it a massive difference? I have never had short hair before and although I want it I'm a little scared to change it...
    No, I didn't regret it; I have since come to the conclusion that long hair is best for me after all, but it suited me at the time and I loved the fact that it was so much easier to look after, so no regrets there.

At the end of the day, it's your decision and my only caveat would be that you think about whether you yourself may come to regret the decision in the time it would take you to grow it back. Hair that long is something a little special, but if you have taken these things into account, then it really is up to you. After all, if you're nearly 16 then you're almost old enough (legally; I'm not recommending it!) to have children fro goodness' sake!

With regards to talking to your mum about it, I know that with mine it's quite effective to point out what you could have done e.g "I was considering just going to the hairdresser's in secret and getting it cut, but I know how much that would have upset you so I want to discuss if with you properly." I find that this helps me come across as a mature, responsible, well-reasoned individual and she is more likely to listen to me. If, on the other hand, your mum stops the conversation before you even start it, then you could always write it down in a letter. It may seem old fashioned, but it means that you don't get caught up in arguments and it really can work.

ReputationRep:
    What the hell? Are you actually joking?

Tell your mum to get a ****ing grip. Does she also select what music goes on your iPod?

ReputationRep:
    Your Mum sounds like a ****ing nutter tbh :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone you've given me alot to think about, I really appreciate it and maybe soon I can reply with a 'got my hair cut' x

ReputationRep:
    Look, your 16 and ur mom trusts you to do the right thing I know this is what u want to hear taking from personal experiences, but ur mom loves u a ton and only wants the best for you. She is on your side. If she says no it’s no and it’s probably for a greater reason then u thinkHair is more than just dead cells it’s part of how u present yourselfIf u really want it cut wait two years that’s when you can decide for yourself to get it cut

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.