The Student Room Group

How do you write your degree on your CV?

I mean, if you studied a degree such as Politics with a Year Abroad.

Would you just write:

BA Politics - 2:1
Durham University

or

BA Politics with a Year Abroad - 2:1
Durham University
Reply 1
I think at ours it would be BA Politics (International) or (European), not sure if that's the same everywhere.
Mine I'll probably write BSc Politics with Economics (Sandwich) and then in the work experience section I'll put the job I did in my placement year.
Reply 3
NAME/EMAIL/MOBILE

BA/BSc/BEng/MA/MSc/MEng/ETc Subject of Faggotry, 1st Class Honours
University of ____________

WORK EXP.

OTHER INFORMATION HERE

--fin
September 2008 - June 2012
University College Genericville
BA Klingon and Pig Latin, upper second class honours

September 2001 - June 2008
King John the Terrible's School
Three A levels (Klingon, Pig Latin, English) at AAA
Eleven GCSEs at A*-C including Maths, English and Science
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Theresa C
I mean, if you studied a degree such as Politics with a Year Abroad.

Would you just write:

BA Politics - 2:1
Durham University

or

BA Politics with a Year Abroad - 2:1
Durham University

2008-12 University of Durham, BS (Hons) Politics (2.1)
2010-11 University of Overseas, Year abroad
Reply 6
Mine is similar to threeportdrift's, except I do not include my classifications.

2010 2011 University of Bristol MA European Literatures
2007 2010 Manchester Metropolitan University - BA English
Was it a year abroad studying not working? If so, I would put BA Politics 2008-2012, and then in a paragraph underneath, where you include details of modules studied, skills learnt, etc, mention the year abroad.
Reply 8
It depends, if you're a new graduate then you probably want to write a few sentences describing your degree (focusing on the parts that are relevant to the job you're applying to, and transferable skills). If you do this, then this is the natural place to mention you did a year abroad.

So:

BA Politics, Durham University (2:1): This degree provided me with blah blah. During my final year I worked on a group research project blah blah. As part of this course I spent 1 year studying abroad which blah blah.

After you've been graduated for a few years you typically wont bother describing your undergraduate degree or mentioning that you studied abroad.
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Mine

Degree: BA Politics (Hons), 2:1, MA Middle Eastern History, ongoing

Should probably put what unis they're from too..

I would also recommend putting a few units studied and key transferable skills (like you would do with work experience).

Mine goes:

Work experience (Page 1)

Education + other skills/achievements (page 2)

MSc XXXX at XXXX received a classification of XXXX

Units studied: Design and statisical analysis of surveys, qualitative research, etc (just a few good sounding units)

Dissertation title:

I personally like that way of displaying the MSc and BA. Gives some background info to the employer of the area of study and the research skills that you have. Inclusion of the dissertation title also informs the employer what you spent months writing about and just gives more background info.

Only takes up half a page of my CV with A levels and GCSEs only being given a line each now.

A levels: Politics B, Geography C... etc

GCSE: 5 or more at grade C or above including maths and English.

The A levels and GCSEs really don't need any more than that. I have not even included where I studied as it is a waste of space.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending