Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone studying management know why it is highly advisable to take economics 101 or 102 for those planning on studying in North America/Australasia? I really hate economics so would rather take one of the modules later on that only lasts half the year, and take marketing as a full module in this year. Is likely to affect me much, and did any of you do something similar?

Mike

ReputationRep:
    well as it says it depends on if you want to study abroad. i do Economics as a major and so do Econ 101. and from what i have read i think it's to do with maths. i know for example that in America there management courses tend to be more scientific and they put greater emphasis on quantitative methods as opposed to qualitative. so the Econ 101 course is seen as a good introduction to qualitative methods and a bit more math orientated. but if you are not going to study abroad then it's not so important in English management degrees.

ReputationRep:
    I did Econ 102 (cos I didn't have econ A level) in my first year and would really recommend getting it out of the way early if you're not keen on it. First year doesn't count towards your degree classification so you can afford to just scrape a pass in this module without losing anything! If its not compulsory however then look at possible modules you'll be interested in later on (2nd/3rd/4th year) and check which modules are necessary to do them cos you might be disappointed if you can't take a module you're really interested in cos you haven't done the pre-reqs!

Hope that helps a bit!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.