Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

New thread for all self-funded (or low funded) Americans watch

ReputationRep:
    OK, I'm going to use this thread as an idea forum. If a lot comes out of it, I may set up a site, or at least a myspace page.

I'm going for a PhD in the humanities (archaeology), at UCL, self-funded, and I'm pretty sure there's a bunch more of you doing similar things (ie not getting paid to do this). So, rather than complain about the near-impossibility of getting, say, an ORS grant (I didn't even bother--got a high 2.1 in a UK master's program), maybe we can devote this thread to collaborating and finding money!

OK, this may mean that there's a bit of competition for the occasional $100 dollar grant, but hey...there's a ZILLION small grants out there. Why aren't we finding them? I'm thinking that some collaboration may be good for everyone.

So this thread is basically a forum to share ideas, so that we all come out of this a little less broke than we would have.

All I've done so far is contact IREX, which has some research grants, and I've checked with some general forums like TheFoundationCenter...

So let's hear what people have, and good luck!

--s

ReputationRep:
    Hello, fellow pauper! I am also taking up archaeology, the MPhil in European Archaeology at Oxford. I have not heard yet about ors/Clarendon Bursaries, but my hopes aren't high at this late stage. I have been looking for other stuff, but the pickings seem fairly slim. II did find an obscure $12000 scholarship from the Institute for Humane STudies, but again I don't think I am getting that as I should have heard one would think. The deadline has of course passed, but they can be applied for every year, so here is the link.

http://www.theihs.org

PS where in the States are you from?

ReputationRep:
    From DC, although I got my MA from Durham, and lived in Boston the last few years (before the MA). Actually, I'm back in DC waiting for cash to fall out of the sky (it doesn't).

Actually--I know someone who is considering the MPhil at oxford, possibly in European arch...where did you do your MA?

ihs, hmm, I'll try them out. I've also been looking into funding sources that focus specifically on specific regions..they don't get wide press, and sometimes have money to give out. Not, of course, to me....

Good luck with the ORS, though--there's ONE option left from UCL for me--these graduate open scholarships...about 2500 pound/year....

--s

ReputationRep:
    VivaNepal, you should definitely try the ORS next year and the Grad School Research Scholarships (GSRS) since you have a rather good MA degree in the UK. I studied at the U of Maryland (close to DC) before I came to UCL for my PhD (I'm not an American, though). I got awarded the ORS in my first year. ORS award holders would have a better opportunity to get awarded the GSRS. But I didn't get the GSRS until my second year. It's said that if ORS holders finished their MA degrees at UCL or other prestigious UK unis are more likely to get awarded the GSRS from the very beginning.

Also, try the Marie Curie Fellowships offered by the European Commission under the UCL Centre for European Studies if you study has something to do with European stuff in a broad sense. You'll be rich if you can get the Marie Curie fellowships (€29,500 per annum, plus allowances): http://www.ucl.ac.uk/ces/admissions/index.htm

In addition to those mentioned above, check this out as well: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...shtml#marshall

ReputationRep:
    Actually--I know someone who is considering the MPhil at oxford, possibly in European arch...where did you do your MA?
    Actually, I don't have an MA, I was offered to read for the MPhil directly. I will finish my BS in History at South Dakota State University in about 4 weeks. I think I have almost given up on finding a good way to pay for Oxford. I am selling my house, but won't make much profit from it. With the current exchange rate, maybe enough capital gain to fund 1 year's accommodation. :motz: So I have resigned myself to having my "financially secure" brother co-sign a bunch of alternative loans which will take me 20 years to pay off. Still, Oxford is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Worth almost any price to go!

ReputationRep:
    Pharmakos:

So if I didn't apply for ORS/Grad Research scholarships the first year (basically I was advised that it was basically not worth it without the distinction, which is why I held off), I can apply in the second and third year? That's somewhat heartening--so if I can prove some sort of really good academic merit during the MPhil part of the PhD, there might be a stronger case for those awards?

SouthEssex:
    Yeah, your feeling about Oxford matches mine about UCL--I'm going WAY in the hole for it, but hell--student loans aren't the worst thing in the world--interest is low, and they're forgiving. Free money would be BETTER, but...

ReputationRep:
    So if I didn't apply for ORS/Grad Research scholarships the first year (basically I was advised that it was basically not worth it without the distinction, which is why I held off), I can apply in the second and third year? That's somewhat heartening--so if I can prove some sort of really good academic merit during the MPhil part of the PhD, there might be a stronger case for those awards?
    You should have given it a shot whatsoever. It's not quite true that one needs a distinction in order to apply for the ORS. My BA GPA kinda sucks. My MA GPA looks rather impressive, though. One's research potential is a key factor. A good research proposal and good references from one's supervisors will help a lot.

At UCL, yes, 2nd-year (not 3rd-year, though) PhD students are eligible for the ORS, the Grad School Scholarships, and the Marie Curie Fellowships.

ReputationRep:
    That's good info--thanks!

I figure I'll try to get a weekend job as well...keep food on the table.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.