Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I received an offer from Birmingham to read English; after visiting I feel like it's a place I'd like to study at but the offer is AAB. At AS i got ABCC; I was wondering if the university were more flexible to accept me as fewer males tend to go for the course? As it is rather doubtful that this can be answered indefinitely, what grades have other applicants been given conditional offers with and will Birmingham be your firm choice?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    i don't want to let the cat out of the bag, but i'm there at the moment doing english (first year) and received the same offer. when it came to results day, i ended up with ABB. bricking it to the utmost degree possible, i was actually accepted in the end. i have no real idea why; perhaps it was because i still had an A in english, perhaps because i got nearly full marks in the AEA... no idea though. so although you should obviously aim to meet the offer, the degree of flexibilty has been there in the past but i would by no means bank on it.

if you were to miss a grade, they would probably pull out your ucas form to review your entry profile and what you might have to offer to them; yet, i suspect that your gender might be the last thing they look at.

i do feel quite uncomfortable replying, in the sense that it's all speculation on my part. from what i've heard, birmingham can be relatively flexible when it comes to results day, but they'd only consider being flexible if a) you've put them as your firm choice and b) despite missing grades, you still have the required grade in the subject (or most closely related subject) which you'll be taking at degree level.

the best thing to do is to work as hard as you possibly can for the summer exams. have you got an insurance choice?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with silence! I mean, yes, Birmingham uni is quite stiff when it comes to how easy it is to go gain admission to a course. their offers rearly requitre below AAB. However, as silence said, I think that if you put them as a firm conditional choice and get a good grade (A) in the requiered subject they mey overlook that you have missed the overall requiered score. (I would think though that this would not happen if they have many applicants that have gotten AAB in the end.

But anyways, good luck to you and hope to see you at birmingham in the fall. And silenence, I'll buy you a beer when I get to Birmingham in September.

Chill y'all

/9mm

ReputationRep:
    i'm coming to Birmingham in September for definate to do joint honours English and drama. The only thing is when you do joint honours you can only do either Enlish language or English literature, and i really can't choose which to do! I did both for A level and liked language better, but i've heard that it gets really technical and scientific at degree level, which isn't my cuppa tea at all! Does anyone know what you actually study in both or have any advice? Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    hmm, literature is very fun; the modules you'd study for it if doing joint honours are literature foundation and independent study, which are both fab. with regards to language, i've only done the language foundation module this year. there is a degree of technicality to it, but that's what language is i guess. i think that language is also great, but literature can be more challenging, more broad and, as suggested by the title of one of the modules, more independent/individual. with literature you'll follow a basic general course outline, as you would in literature, but there's far more scope to develop an individual in certain areas and apply them in other work. one thing i reckon, however (and this is probably quite shallow in terms of academia), is that it's potentially more possible to get high marks in a language exercise/paper. i'm not saying that it's anywhere near easy to do such a thing, but there is that greater element of certainty (in that scientific way you suggested). i personally find it easier to analyse clauses etc than to hypothesise about, say, the importance of marxist criticism towards renaissance drama (?!). although the former type of study is easier, i would say again that the latter would be more interesting and rewarding.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 12, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.