Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Apart from the clifton Vs Stoke Bishop issue which is better? Durdham or Goldney? All the prospectus says is Goldney has a grand piano, but durdham has en suite. the prospectus really doesnt help with anything else. Help!:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely choose Goldney.

When I went to Goldney I was just so impressed by it. It has by far the best bar in Clifton, and while the flats look sort of futuristic from the outside there's also the really old building and grounds which are gorgeous. There is also a great chilling room with games and a TV, and a really nice big room for studying.

Durdham is lovely but known as being a bit quiet, plus there's the location factor.

ReputationRep:
    Whats the communal area in the flats in goldney like??

Size facilities etc.

Also - what size are the rooms themselves??

TIA

ReputationRep:
    durdham rooms are great, nice and big, modern, warm, nice large kitchens, and all the other stoke b hals nearby. also cheaper at 73 quid a week. id choose durdham again, cus its cheaper. goldney is about 90 a week, for the same rooms.
    also durdham has a piano.

ReputationRep:
    Goldney 0wns!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straas)
    Whats the communal area in the flats in goldney like??

Size facilities etc.

Also - what size are the rooms themselves??

TIA
    I went to visit my friend there and was really impressed. The rooms are HUGE (i am only comparing this to my boyfriend's room at bath which is like living in a cabin)! You also get a sink and loads of storage space. The only thing was, the windows weren't exactly huge so there wasn't a whole load of light (though i didn't see anyone else's room so i can't generalise).

The kitchens were gorgeous- really big, with lots of light, and modern aswell. A good place for a party! There were 2 fridge/freezers, a microwave and i think a toaster but i didn't take enough notice of that.

The bathrooms were nice enough- not disgustingly dirty but not ikea style white and new, lol.

There was this big area in the middle of the flat which basically had this funny bench thing in the middle- people were sorting out their washing when i was there so i couldn't scout around, but i imagine if your flatmates made enough of an effort you could turn that into a really cool area to sit around and watch tv in (but why would you need to do that when you have an amazing common room with cable tv!??).

Okay, i'm done.

ReputationRep:
    every year i dig this up go here to get pics of accomodation rooms:

http://neocode.co.uk/phpBB/viewforum...7be0dbc6f8d953

ReputationRep:
    Goldney:

+ It's in Clifton, so much better location.
    + Flats are lovely, gorgeous grounds, bar and common room in Goldney House.
    - Much more expensive, even though most rooms don't have ensuite.

Durdham:

+ It's in Stoke Bishop. This makes it automatically cheaper, and means you're near all the other SB halls (& more importantly, the bars!)
    + All the rooms are ensuite. This is the only hall where that is the case, apart from Woodland Court and Winkworth House, which aren't proper halls!
    + Personally I think the rooms are nicer.
    - You have to do the walk from Stoke Bishop. 2,000 people do this every day, every year. Most of them survive.
    - Reputation for being a bit quiet. Basically it's a small hall with a very big bar, meaning it looks fairly empty a lot of the time. Also being arranged in flats you normally have to go and find the fun, although that would apply to Goldney equally.

ReputationRep:
    durdham....even my nan likes it! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wednesburywench)
    durdham....even my nan likes it! lol
    I'm thinking that's not neccessarily a good advert...:p: ! No offence to your nan's opinions or anything, but what the average fresher wants from a hall is likely to be a bit different!

But yeah i agree, Durdham- for the en suite if nothing else! Really missed it the last couple of years with one shower between 5 (or 6/7/8/9 depending on the number of significant others in residence...). Plus i think Durdham is bargainous compared to Goldney.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apricot Fairy)
    + All the rooms are ensuite. This is the only hall where that is the case, apart from Woodland Court and Winkworth House, which aren't proper halls!
    Sorry to thread hijack but I will be going to Bristol in October and I wanted en-suite but close to the main university precinct as I am not most punctual student as I am going to be hopefully studying medicine I cant afford to be late. I was thinking of goldney or manor hall (I want to go self-catered wherever I end up), but those two mentioned halls? Would you recommend a 1st year/fresher to choose one of those as I am going as much for the studying as the social side?

Sorry if my post rambles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr_SS_Lecter)
    Sorry to thread hijack but I will be going to Bristol in October and I wanted en-suite but close to the main university precinct as I am not most punctual student as I am going to be hopefully studying medicine I cant afford to be late. I was thinking of goldney or manor hall (I want to go self-catered wherever I end up), but those two mentioned halls? Would you recommend a 1st year/fresher to choose one of those as I am going as much for the studying as the social side?

Sorry if my post rambles.
    Woodland Court is a private hall and Winkworth House is a very large student house. The only reason I wouldn't recommend them is that they're not in large student areas so a bit isolated and they don't have hall bars, which isn't so good on the social side.

If you apply to Goldney you probably won't get ensuite, because I think the ensuite rooms mainly go to returners. You'll probably have to decide between Clifton/shared bathroom or Stoke Bishop/ensuite. To be honest, the walk from Stoke Bishop isn't as much of a problem as you'd think, but I don't imagine sharing a bathroom would be either. Just decide which is more important to you. There are loads of medics in Durdham, and they all seem to manage fine though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apricot Fairy)
    Woodland Court is a private hall and Winkworth House is a very large student house. The only reason I wouldn't recommend them is that they're not in large student areas so a bit isolated and they don't have hall bars, which isn't so good on the social side.

If you apply to Goldney you probably won't get ensuite, because I think the ensuite rooms mainly go to returners. You'll probably have to decide between Clifton/shared bathroom or Stoke Bishop/ensuite. To be honest, the walk from Stoke Bishop isn't as much of a problem as you'd think, but I don't imagine sharing a bathroom would be either. Just decide which is more important to you. There are loads of medics in Durdham, and they all seem to manage fine though.
    Thanks Apricot_Fairy! I think i will have to go and do the durdham to main uni area walk.

ReputationRep:
    a lot of medics live in durdham this yr...i dont no any from clifton atall and i know quite a lot of ppl.

ReputationRep:
    a lot of medics live in durdham this yr...i dont no any from clifton atall and i know quite a lot of ppl.
    I know loads of medics from Clifton, and none from SB. It's just cos you're a Stoke Bishop person!

ReputationRep:
    Lol! Damn you bristol....goldney or durdham that is the question!

ReputationRep:
    durdhams cheaper

ReputationRep:
    durdhams cheaper
    Exactly and also ensuite for all ...i may get a BMX for the Stokey B to uni treck!

ReputationRep:
    Exactly and also ensuite for all ...i may get a BMX for the Stokey B to uni treck!
    I heard there were some/one tricky hill(s). BMXs having no gears may not be the right choice of bike on this occasion? But don't listen to me.. I know nothing but what I have heard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biffy Clyro)
    I heard there were some/one tricky hill(s). BMXs having no gears may not be the right choice of bike on this occasion? But don't listen to me.. I know nothing but what I have heard.
    Ah but i will have thighs like tree trunks after a couple of months! :p: Also a BMX has more style appeal to it than a crappy gear one as i will take my silver one i have at home Or i would buy a fancy oen with rear and front suspension but it would get taken quicker than the virginity of a 16 year old at a school disco!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.