JaPanEse MovIEs Watch

judi_lover
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hey what do y'reckon the all time best japanese films are?
Axiom
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Battle Royale
My Neighbour Totoro
Dark Water
hello_miffy
Report 12 years ago
Battle Royale is the only Japanese movie I've ever seen, and I have to say it was very "enjoyable", I actually sat through the entire thing which I can't normally do during films.

I'd already read the English translation of the novel though.
judi_lover
Rep:
?
hm im looking for some really gd japanese movies... not really horror like The Ring, and i already know kurasawa and Studio Ghibli stuff........ any other films? maybe some other gd anime films?
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
WoHoAh PrOmOtInG sTeReOtYpEs!1!!

in addition to kurosawa i'd recommend films by ozu, mizoguchi, shindo, and yamanakas humanity and paper balloons - really original take on life in 18th century japan.

i'd also strongly recommend the akira for anime, if you haven't already watched it
jb_sweden
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Spirited Away
beecher
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Anime that isn't Ghibli?

Perfect Blue, Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, Blood: The Last Vampire, Patlabor, Metropolis, Jin-Roh, Roujin Z.
Marrissey
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Tokyo Godfathers is an excellent anime film - give it a go.
judi_lover
Rep:
?
ok thankyou!

and no not promoting stereotypes thankyou very much!
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
try looking out for some films by Takashi Miike like Gazu, Ichi the killer, Audition, visitor Q and dead or alive.
Narin
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
All About Lily Chou-chou
Nobody Knows
Tony Takitani
films by Takeshi Kitano
Sorani
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Grave of the Fireflies
Battle Royale
Lady Snowblood
Kikujiro
Ili
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
memoirs of a geisha is currently out at the cinema as far as I know (where I am at least). that's supposed to be a japanese film but chinese actors play the roles.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by layla*)
memoirs of a geisha is currently out at the cinema as far as I know (where I am at least). that's supposed to be a japanese film but chinese actors play the roles.
that is a western film, made in English, not a Japanese film made in the native language.
judi_lover
Rep:
?
is Audition worth watching?
Gravastar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes, actually, it is. It's a good film and makes some valid social points, but knowing Miike, I'm fairly sure that it's a good film by mistake. Miike in general is overrated in my humble opinion - he sets out just to shock, rather than to make an insightful or entertaining piece of cinema.

My favourite director atm is Toshiaki Toyoda, specifically 'Blue Spring' and '9 Souls', who is very much on the new wave of directors. Also try 'Twilight Samurai', which is a more traditional (but very well executed) period drama that almost won the Foreign Film Oscar a few years back. And for something more lighthearted, I suggest "Ping Pong", by Sori, which is just wonderful.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Gravastar)
for something more lighthearted, I suggest "Ping Pong", by Sori, which is just wonderful.
Seconded, much fun.
Yuki Kashima
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Jeeze this is a hard one... anything Beat Takeshi Kitano the man is a legend! The old Zatoichi's, Lady Snowblood, Hanzo the Razor... Miyazaki stuff, Ghost in the Shell... and jesus don't forget Kurosawa ppl... oooh oooh and babycart/lone wolf and cub... i'm gonna shut up now lol
BandanaDan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My personal favourites are:

Rashomon
Battle Royale
Space Adventure Cobra

johnsonimrodgd
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I recommend 3 Iron (aka Bin Jip). This is Korean not Japanese but it is one of the most unique and thoughtful love story I have ever seen. Put it this way, the 2 main characters do not have a single line of dialogue so a lot of it is left to your own imagination. Ideal for people who hate reading subtitles. This is the synopsis of the movie:

"A transient young man spends his days breaking into people's empty homes. But instead of robbing them, he simply partakes of the vacationing residents' lives for a few days. He tastes a little of their food and poses for pictures next to valued possessions but, in return, he also fixes any household items if they're broken and cleans up any laundry or mess left around.

One day he illegally enters an affluent businessman's large house only to be discovered by the inhabitant's battered wife who is hiding in a corner. Sensing the young stranger's gentleness, the woman doesn't turn him in and , she eventually leaves with him, in the process abandoning her hot-tempered, careerist husband.

This pair are just companions escaping from reality, the unlikely couple travelling the city living a phantom life in other unsuspecting people's homes. However, the enraged husband is soon on their trail and determined to have them caught..."

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (849)
80.7%
Leave (203)
19.3%

Watched Threads