The Student Room Group

27 too late to graduate and behind in life?

Hey guys,

A bit about my background, I studied business at uni but during my 2nd year I dropped out since I was not enjoying my degree and a career in finance is not really my beckoning.

Now at 23 I'm starting my access couse in computing and looking to read computer science at uni with the intention of getting into software development, which is a job I would enjoy and computer science is intriguing to me.

My worry is that I feel I'm behind in life and think I'm late to start career when I graduate at 27. My younger cousins are graduating this year and my friends have graduated last year too and I can't help feeling inferior.

Would appreciate advice.

Scroll to see replies

Yep you're behind, but you've got to make the most of your situation, the thing to concentrate on is the fact that you're back and track, you know what you're doing, and that you're progressing.

If you're going to neg then at least have the decency to explain why. The OP IS behind compared to his friends/cousins, he wasn't comparing himself to the rest of you people who happen to be starting their degrees at 29 or whatever.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Hey it is not some massive competition... just enjoy your course and get a good job you like doing afterwards. As they say in Hungary "Even the King has one nose"
Reply 3
Of course it's not too late. I'll be 28 when I graduate. Loads of people on my course are in their 30's and older.

Would you rather be a bit behind, or go through life thinking "What if...?"
well so what, you could live to be 100, what difference would a 4 year head start make?
Reply 5
Behind in what sense? I won't graduate until I am 26 but I wouldn't say I am behind in life compared to my friends who graduated last year and this year, how far along a career path you are isn't all that matters. In my case I tried uni and dropped out after first year as I just wasn't ready to take on that kind of study, it wasn't the right stage of life for me. Now I am a few years older, I've done stuff I wouldn't have done had I stayed at uni and I am now in a much better position to go off and study for 3 or 4 years than I was at 18. Personally I am glad I've done it this way round.
Reply 6
No one can make you feel inferior without your permission. Just think about yourself and your future.
Reply 7
I am starting uni at 27, so what the heck have you got to moan about?
Reply 8
There are people who don't have a second chance. You are still young and you are heading in a direction that will ultimately make you happier. 27 isn't too old.
(edited 11 years ago)
Life isn't a race. Well done for finding something you want to do. It doesn't matter if you are a bit older. I'm doing medicine as a second degree (grad entry) and I will be older than people who did it as there first UG. Does it matter? No. I really want to do this. You have plenty of time to work. :smile:
Original post by star10159
No one can make you feel inferior without your permission. Just think about yourself and your future.

real talk
Reply 11
Original post by star10159

Thanks for this. Who's it by?

Edit: found out it's by Elenor Roosevelt. This women is simple amazing, another quote from her 'do the thing you think you cannot do!' got me through a hard time. Most pick up a book bout her.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
My Mum just graduated at 41! Also, I swear some woman on my Law course is at least 45! You're still a spring chicken :smile:
Original post by Vortex9

Seriously, grown ups rarely compare ages. I have no idea whether my Boss is older than me or if I am older than some of my team members or colleagues. We've all taken different paths in life and we all have different priorities and ambitions. No-one is going to care about your age unless you do.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by 419
Thanks for this. Who's it by?

Edit: found out it's by Elenor Roosevelt. This women is simple amazing, another quote from her 'do the thing you think you cannot do!' got me through a hard time. Most pick up a book bout her.

You're welcome mate :smile:
I'll be graduating at 31, and will most likely spend the next 37 years working, and I'll be pleased that I did it. I wouldn't say you're 'behind' in life if you go to university later on, you're in the same place via the scenic route. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Your life before university isn't a waste, and in honesty you probably won't stay in the same career all your life anyway. Few people do these days unless they study medicine, dentistry, etc.
Your not behind at all, think of it as a positive in that you now know what you don't want to do..
These people that are graduating could go into a job and realise it actually not what they want to do anymore. Then whose behind!! you have to think that you'll be working for the next 50 odd years of your life! i'm in exactly the same position, i too shall (hopefully) be graduating at 26, but i'd rather graduate later than stay in the same mundane job not really doing alot. Thik of it in a different mind set :smile: will make it so much easier lol
The sooner you stop worrying what everyone else is doing and concerntrate on yourself, the easier it will become to accept your position and make the best of it.
Considering you'll work until you're 65 give or take, graduating in your late 20s or your 30s is not even close to being late. It may not be the norm, but it's not uncommon at all.
Reply 19
Don't think of it like a race. I'll be 30+ when I graduate, and then I'll have a bunch more years of studying after that to become a clinical psychologist - so I'll probably be 40 by the time I'm in the right place! I see it like this; I can carry on earning minimum wage for the rest of my life and be unhappy with my lot in life, or I can be proactive and do something about it!

Latest

Trending

Trending