The Student Room Group

Physio question, can you help me?

Hello people! I'm new here, it's a great site, very informative. Thanks to everyone, from people with the stupidest question, to the ones who rub it in everyones faces(e.g. I got 400 offers, but I'm not sure which I'd prefer to go to...) Ye're all great!
Could anyone help me out. Here's my predicament, I just had an interview at QMUC in Edinburgh two weeks ago, which is a 4 year programme with full fees(as in the NHS don't pay your tuition fees). Now, QMUC has a great reputation for Physio, however, I am wondering as it is my last chance, before extra, would I better off, looking at one of the universities offering places in Extra, or even the Allied Health Professionals course at UWE. It's a case of double or nothing really.
Also, how hard is it to get into that AHP course in UWE (loving the acronyms)? It's hard to know what chance you have of getting into these courses, as I am not too familiar with the UCAS system. I have a degree, but no A levels. I'm Irish!
Reply 1
I'm on the UWE AHP course at the moment, well nearly finsihed it anyway. It's a great course and pretty easy to get onto. They don't look at your quals, just how much you want to be a Physio etc. I came from a Corporate Banking background with no science A levels and I got on, so it can't be too hard. Let me know if you need any further info. It is getting more popular now that it's so hard to get onto the full degree programme though but it's still not that well known about.
Reply 2
Improbably
Hello people! I'm new here, it's a great site, very informative. Thanks to everyone, from people with the stupidest question, to the ones who rub it in everyones faces(e.g. I got 400 offers, but I'm not sure which I'd prefer to go to...) Ye're all great!
Could anyone help me out. Here's my predicament, I just had an interview at QMUC in Edinburgh two weeks ago, which is a 4 year programme with full fees(as in the NHS don't pay your tuition fees). Now, QMUC has a great reputation for Physio, however, I am wondering as it is my last chance, before extra, would I better off, looking at one of the universities offering places in Extra, or even the Allied Health Professionals course at UWE. It's a case of double or nothing really.
Also, how hard is it to get into that AHP course in UWE (loving the acronyms)? It's hard to know what chance you have of getting into these courses, as I am not too familiar with the UCAS system. I have a degree, but no A levels. I'm Irish!

personally I wouldn't want to get stuck wiht the full fees - its NOT cheap! There are some good uni's going in extra (or there were when I looked last!) and provided you have a relevant degree you may be ok without the a-levels. Or as Nick said try the AHP course at UWE.....it sounds good from what I heard - and the fees are covered! Your best option at the mo is to check though extra and se ewhat courses are available. Phone and ask if they would consider you without a-levels.......and see what they say.
Reply 3
Improbably

you have a degree but no a-levels...........but do you have the highest school qualfications availabel from ireland? If so then you'll be alright!
Reply 4
I do have the equivalent qualifications from Ireland, and a relevant degree. Thanks everyone for your help.
Reply 5
Improbably
I do have the equivalent qualifications from Ireland, and a relevant degree. Thanks everyone for your help.

Ah you'll be fine then! Check out extra and see how you get on :smile:
Reply 6
I'm not too sure, I've been rejected from a few other universities, and QMUC is my last one. If I am accepted on to that, I don't know whether to take it, or have a look at extra. Do you know how long they take to decide on extra?
Reply 7
Improbably
I'm not too sure, I've been rejected from a few other universities, and QMUC is my last one. If I am accepted on to that, I don't know whether to take it, or have a look at extra. Do you know how long they take to decide on extra?

I think it varies.............and you can only apply for one at a time

I personally wouldn't want to pay the fees...........but thats just me.............can you get a tuition fee loan with your student loan to cover the fee costs? That wouldn't be so bad
Reply 8
Jackie, sorry to be bombarding you with all these questions, but do you know if the NHS pay the fees for all Physiotherapy programmes in England and Wales, or does it vary?
Reply 9
Improbably
Jackie, sorry to be bombarding you with all these questions, but do you know if the NHS pay the fees for all Physiotherapy programmes in England and Wales, or does it vary?

to my knowledge its all unis in england and wales......only ever heard of scottish uni's not being covered......
i am sure that the fees in scotland would be paid for, no matter what course you are doing. Depending on your or parents Income.

Or maybe you need to be scottish :biggrin:
Reply 11
NorthCountryBoy
i am sure that the fees in scotland would be paid for, no matter what course you are doing. Depending on your or parents Income.

Or maybe you need to be scottish :biggrin:

i think you need to be scottish. SamJL who posts on here is doing a physio course in Scotland and her fees aren't covered....
Reply 12
JackieS
i think you need to be scottish. SamJL who posts on here is doing a physio course in Scotland and her fees aren't covered....

Jackie's right, england and wales physio courses have fees payed by NHS. But scotland doesnt, making it very expensive to do physio in scotland.

LJ

Latest