Turn on thread page Beta

First year exams?!?!?!? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I need help...the amount we have 2 knw is immense ....ne medics out there??? how did u get through it?? EMBRYOLOGY AND GENETICS ARE IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!:mad: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Don't learn 'em then.

You don't need to know all that much, you just need to pass. Simple.

Concentrate on what you can do, learn what you can learn. Although christ alone knows why you're revising for your first year exams in Easter! A week or two should be more than enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Although christ alone knows why you're revising for your first year exams in Easter! A week or two should be more than enough.
    What!! It takes me a few months to revise properly for my A levels! I'm pretty sure you need to spend more than a week! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Few months?! Dear me... How come you could revise being barerly half way through the course. I didn't start the revision until couple of days before the exam for most modules lol. A levels that was great time...

Renal obviously gets the knowledge in by osmosis in no time at all. *bows in respect of unique abilities and wisdom that comes with experience*

Seriously though, if you do some work regularly during the term there is no need to revise like crazy when it comes to exam. About 3 weeks over Christmas was fine for me in semester 1. Saying that, irtualy no anatomy was required for this exam and that is what am I worried about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahmed)
    What!! It takes me a few months to revise properly for my A levels! I'm pretty sure you need to spend more than a week! :eek:
    That was A-Levels, this is medical school.

ReputationRep:
    I aint even started..
    I think u mite be revisin for most ur med skool life.

ReputationRep:
    So you would spend the whole of a module revising for it? Despite the fact that you won't have a full enough picture until towards the end of a block? Not a very time efficent method when it comes to med school exams... Especially with all the essays and other stuff...

ReputationRep:
    Well firstly, i revise as i go along, this means during any holidays that may come up (especially christmas and easter). Then i try and revise in the other half terms as well. That way i have a solid foundation when it comes to the few weeks before the exams. What's so wrong about that?
    As for med school, i don't see why you can't revise as you go along. Fair enough you won't have the whole picture, but at least you have a foundation in place so that when you have to reference back to the earlier work it is in your head rather than having to learn everything in one go!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ant1337)
    I aint even started..
    I think u mite be revisin for most ur med skool life.
    Nothing new there!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, 'revising as i go along' i'd interpret differently to making sure you consolidate in the holidays.

Latter has been a must (they don't even call outside term time holidays - it's "vacation", so study but without the lectures & labs :rolleyes: ). But the former wouldn't have been possible - we're too busy learning the content & doing the work to be revising at the same time! :p:
    In terms of designated 'study leave' revision time we had 2 weeks before preclinical exams.

HOTP - i got the syllabuses & went through point by point. Be effective with your revision - focuss on the hard/hated subjects & learn what you need to. Then enjoy reading around the things that interest you more.
    Although precise tactics will probably depend on the format of your exams?
    For my preclinical this worked fairly well = we had core factual papers & then essay based extention papers.

ReputationRep:
    That's crazy. Surely you have enough UMS to be able to relax a bit by now? So far this easter (a week and a half) I have done virtually nothing. But that is probably a bit bad....

ReputationRep:
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    Well firstly, i revise as i go along, this means during any holidays that may come up (especially christmas and easter). Then i try and revise in the other half terms as well. That way i have a solid foundation when it comes to the few weeks before the exams. What's so wrong about that?
    As for med school, i don't see why you can't revise as you go along. Fair enough you won't have the whole picture, but at least you have a foundation in place so that when you have to reference back to the earlier work it is in your head rather than having to learn everything in one go!
    That's not a good use of time at medicial school, you need to become efficient - also you might not get the whole picture on something until later in the course - then you might have wasted 4 hours on something that isn't relevant. You might not have a holiday to revise in either - here all our exams are before holidays, so you can actually relax for 2 weeks and mentally prepare yourself for the next term, maybe ensuring that the previosu terms notes are in order, and concentrating on revising things you don't get - if you are that way inclined.

At BL we get no time before an in course exam - they're usually held the last day of the module, and 1 week before end of year 1 exams and 2 weeks before end of year 2 exams (bearing in mind you can be examined on year 1 and year 2 stuff).

ReputationRep:
    it sounds like the poster is at uni with me....i dont know what renals exams are like, but discouraging him from revision isnt a great idea. if he is with me, which sounds liek he is, our exams are next week not in summer. and yes there is just too much to learn, and we do have to know so much! we have 14 units to know here....7 exams in the space of 4 days, they arnt nice. we dont have essays etc anythin in our first yr, its purely exams. and im stressed.

ReputationRep:
    nope im at UCL...but uniz uni i guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wednesburywench)
    it sounds like the poster is at uni with me....i dont know what renals exams are like, but discouraging him from revision isnt a great idea. if he is with me, which sounds liek he is, our exams are next week not in summer. and yes there is just too much to learn, and we do have to know so much! we have 14 units to know here....7 exams in the space of 4 days, they arnt nice. we dont have essays etc anythin in our first yr, its purely exams. and im stressed.
    Renal is in my year at BL, and he isn't discouraging him from revision, from what I can see. He's advising that it's just an exam and there are other things in life.

I guess it goes back to the old aphorism: What do you call a medic who passed his degree with a 90% average? Dr. What do you call a medic who passed his degree with a 50% average? ... Get the picture. And your patient will never know how well you did at medical school, unless you a) tell them or b) **** up somewhere and end up at tribuneral!

Stressing yourself out too much will seriously impeede your ability to revise and to do well. Chilling out a bit is definitely sage advice.

ReputationRep:
    Some ppl are just wired that way:rolleyes: .... you cant change them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ant1337)
    Some ppl are just wired that way:rolleyes: .... you cant change them
    No, but you can unwittingly sit back, taking that as 'just how they are', when the police knock at your door to tell you they've hung themselves :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    lol yea, im just lookin to get 50% in my exam, a pass will please me, but i think even thats impossible, maybe thats what hes thinkin too?

ReputationRep:
    Some ppl are just wired that way
    Perhaps they are just a bit insecure about their own ability and just try to make themselves feel better by working really hard? I know a good few ppl in my year who are like that...me on the other hand...

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.