The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
not always, have you considered the fact that some may want to do a lot better than others and what if they enjoy their subjects? I suppose everyone has different ways of working and it's not right to say which is right, its different for everyone.
Reply 21
rahmed
not always, have you considered the fact that some may want to do a lot better than others and what if they enjoy their subjects? I suppose everyone has different ways of working and it's not right to say which is right, its different for everyone.
Sounds like the OP is really enjoying it...
Reply 22
I don't really think the "you just need to pass" thing is the best attitude! Surely when you are actually a doctor the more you know the better.
Reply 23
Like what? Pre-clinical medicine? Knowing the krebs cycle inside out and backwards?

All you really need to know as a PRHO is how to stop a patient dying for long enough that someone with a clue can deal with it.
Reply 24
Like what? Pre-clinical medicine? Knowing the krebs cycle inside out and backwards?

Now you're talking! Actually i revised that a few days go, very interesting if you ask me.
Sounds like the OP is really enjoying it...

Yep! :p:
I don't really think the "you just need to pass" thing is the best attitude! Surely when you are actually a doctor the more you know the better.

:ditto:
Reply 25
rahmed
Now you're talking! Actually i revised that a few days go, very interesting if you ask me.

Yep! :p:

:ditto:

Actually, I'm a tad bit of a nerdy swot at med school, and ususally do well in exams, but I have to agree with Renal to some extent. Outside of people working in metabolic medicine, if you asked a doc, 5 years post medical school about the intricacies of the krebs cycle, I'm sure they'll crash and burn...

For practice, you don't need to know every step, every enzyme, every substrate. At best all you might need to know are the rate limiting steps and which sustrates feed to and from the different pathways that feed into Krebs...
Reply 26
Fair enough, but there is nothing wrong with wanting to know the stuff, even if you can pass without it.
Reply 27
rahmed
Fair enough, but there is nothing wrong with wanting to know the stuff, even if you can pass without it.

Agreed. But it doesn't give you the right to judge people who would rather dedicate their time to other, equally valuable (actually more valuable if this years F1 apps are anything to go by!) persuits and just learn what they need to know...

But I can see both sides and to be fair, at the end of the day, sometimes the 'I just need to scrape a pass' types often end up being better clinical students, as most have a honed ability to recognise what is important, and can cut to the point much faster than someone who has learnt absolutely everything, because they felt they had to, without necessarily recognising the importance.

This is medicine, not an academic degree...
You've just justified my lazyness ^^
I'm gonna have such a fab time at uni, even if it is Imperial..
and hears me trying to just pass the exams thinkin thats hard enough :O

Latest

Trending

Trending