Is 18 too late to start gymnastics? Watch

WhiterunUK
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
As title says, i'm thinking of going down and having a go at my uni but is it too late?
SebMurphy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by WhiterunUK)
As title says, i'm thinking of going down and having a go at my uni but is it too late?
Its probably too late if you want to be a world champion, but as a way of keeping fit i don't see why you shouldn't.

Your best bet is to go and speak to the uni team or coach, they will probably be able to give you some good advice about what to start off with.

Even though the world beaters are really young, there are still plenty of people who do gymnastics regularly who are well on their way to middle age. You just have to take it a bit easier.
Z-6H820
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Too late to be in the Olympics but not too late to have a good go at it
I read recently about a woman who started up gymnastics much older (might have even been in her 50s?) and there was a picture of her, at 80 years old, doing the splits. So it's definitely possible to get good at it
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by WhiterunUK)
No, it's not! there are enough appropriate sports for you which you can do. It depends on what do you want. If you want to begin with football or handball, then I would recommend against this thought. These are sports which you must begin in childhood to be good.
llessur123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you're looking to become a pro, yes. It's alright if you're looking to get fit but there are easier, safer and more efficient sports for that kind of thing.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
alexkol
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Never too late, for anything you have passion for
fineas
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
depite all the cheesy quotes it is indeed too late. Your body will need to change and adapt a lot, but if you really like it then give it a go
StarsAreFixed
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It is too late if you wanted to progress to any kind of serious national or international competitive level. 11 would usually be the cut-off point for that, and most would start at 6 or even earlier- females especially as they need to start earlier than males because they peak earlier.

It is NEVER too late for recreationally using it as a means to keep fit and have fun learning new skills. It's a great sport and I hope you enjoy it! Just don't rush anything or take risks because no matter what level you're at, it is an injury-prone sport. Maybe look up some videos of NCAA meets on youtube for inspiration? For the most part they are doing skills quite far below elite level (though a lot of them were elite) but the emphasis is on execution and they have huge amounts of fun and a great team spirit.
Aspen_x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nooo of course not. Well yes as stated if you want to be Olympic champion but that would be very unlikely any even if you had started when you were 4 :P Do it, I love gymnastics, I started when I was 14 and I'm 17 now, I thought I was too old to, it takes a while, but slowly you make progress, at our clubs adult class we have loads of people starting from scratch and its great to see the steady progress. Also, I have read that at lots of unis, lots of people starting gymnastics haven't done it before- I doubt you'll be the only one!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (62)
32.29%
Spring (36)
18.75%
Autumn/Fall (48)
25%
Winter (36)
18.75%
I love them all equally (10)
5.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise