Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was chatting to some people at work today and i was shocked at the negative way which they talked about germans. I am studying alevel german, and hoping to do german as part of my degree next year, i have visited germany on 3 occasions and have found the germans to be really nice.

Can it be that some people still havent got over the war? Or that their parents indoctrinated them to think germans were bad? It seems that germans, out of all countires, get the most stick from the Brits.

At my school only 3 people took alevel german when i did, and the following year nobody took it as an AS level, ive heard the same story from many other schools.

Why do people hate germans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladyluck)
    I was chatting to some people at work today and i was shocked at the negative way which they talked about germans. I am studying alevel german, and hoping to do german as part of my degree next year, i have visited germany on 3 occasions and have found the germans to be really nice.

Can it be that some people still havent got over the war? Or that their parents indoctrinated them to think germans were bad? It seems that germans, out of all countires, get the most stick from the Brits.

At my school only 3 people took alevel german when i did, and the following year nobody took it as an AS level, ive heard the same story from many other schools.

Ze germans ar ere. I should imagine that those whom lost a lot of their family during the two major conflicts still harbour some bitterness and resentment.

ReputationRep:

i find germans very strong-minded, i also study a-level German. I have to say that i find it difficult to be a great friend with a German

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I don't, they have excellent beer and sausages.
    and the famous Oktoberfest

ReputationRep:
    It's because a large proportion of our population are backwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    i find germans very strong-minded, i also study a-level German. I have to say that i find it difficult to be a great friend with a German
    What i have found to be true is that germans are quite full on with time keeping, if you are a few mins late they will frown upon it! And humour, germans do have a sense of humour but not a particularly funny one. They dont understand sarcasm at all, when i stayed with a german as part of an exchange my friend and i kept calling each other names like *you piss-head* and *tart* just in passing as you do to tease. The family didnt get this at all! why would you say something so supposedly nasty to a mate ! lol

ReputationRep:

im kinda in ur situation....i go 2 a jewish school though which kinda makes it hard...
    we had a german student coming into school last year...nice as anything...just to speak 2 ... improve our german....and a jewish guy in my yr had a go at her asking her why she came 2 the school when she was german...she was extremely offended and the boy was told off....
    another thing is that the germans are truly sorry for what "they" did...if they publicly deny the holocaust or war, they can be arrested...
    the weird thing is...my german teacher told me that they had jewish parents asking why theyre kids werent allowed to study german at the school...(in yr7-9 the jewish kids learn ivrit while the non-jewish have german)...these parents believe german to be a huge part of their heritage coz theyre grandparents and great-grandparents were germans despite the war etc...!
    if a lot of jewish people can get over it why cant every1 else?
    this yr we have a german guy who comes in 2 speak ...he's so nice and doesnt apologise for what hitler did...coz he wasnt around, didnt do anythign so why should he say sorri?
    its just a stereotype people have....
    i dunno 2 be honest but....

ReputationRep:
    Veltins is the best beer ever, i never get a *****y hang over on it. I think its something to do with the beer purity laws, they cant fill been full of pig scrotum or whatever they add to it here! lolz.

ReputationRep:
    Veltins is the best beer ever, i never get a *****y hang over on it. I think its something to do with the beer purity laws, they cant fill been full of pig scrotum or whatever they add to it here! lolz.
    deutsche Würste...yummmm :cool:

ReputationRep:
    The Germans I met were looking down their noses at me and talking too fast for me to understand them.

ReputationRep:
    Yes they do. I've met a couple since i've been at uni and they were cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    sausages :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    Im scared- ive got to spend my third year at uni in germany. I dont want to be the billy no mates english girl!! They are supposed to be really into thier studies? Ja?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    The Germans I met were looking down their noses at me and talking too fast for me to understand them.
    Where did you have to meet germans?

ReputationRep:
    The two i've met have been good with their studies but good socially too. I forgot about the ex-East German girl in my foreign policy seminar, and she is quite into her studies - nothing wrong with that though, she seemed nice anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Where did you have to meet germans?
    In Germany?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    In Germany?
    LOL funny, I meant was it on an exchange, here or in germany , what situation, business trip, whatever whatever.

but yes it is an accepted fact that germans are from germany

ReputationRep:
    We have a guy in my hall who's over here for a year from Germany, I have to say he's one of the funniest people i've ever met! He does have typical German fashion sense though, but he couldn't be a nicer guy (although if he starts taking the micky out of one of us we just say "two world wars and one world cup" to him and he'll stop!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    He does have typical German fashion sense though, but he couldn't be a nicer guy (although if he starts taking the micky out of one of us we just say "two world wars and one world cup" to him and he'll stop!).
    Haha, we have an exchange with a sports club i am a member of, you would not beleive the amount of lycra that they wear when they come over, if that itself wasnt bad enough try the colours!! lol.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, we have an exchange with a sports club i am a member of, you would not beleive the amount of lycra that they wear when they come over, if that itself wasnt bad ebough try the colours!! lol.
    Well he has a lovely shell suit jacket, tight jeans that are slightly too short and flip flops with socks!!!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.