Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've only ever met 3 or 4 Germans and in my experience they've been pretty much the same as us, except they speak incredibly good English, as opposed to our generally rather mediocre German (apologies for those who speak marvellous German....)
    You all know what's coming next: it was the Nazis not the Germans, people forget that many many Jews are German, I'm Jewish and understand that modern Germans have nothing to do with the world wars, etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, thats what I mean, normal Germans werent the baddies, the Nazi's were. But it's all in da past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    Yeah, thats what I mean, normal Germans werent the baddies, the Nazi's were. But it's all in da past.
    Well, I wouldn't say that it's all in the past. It's still muchly relevant now - people who were in concentration camps are living today - we just shouldn't blame modern Germans for the actions of their grandparents. Cos if we could do that then most of the modern world should loathe us for enslaving them and squashing their cultures - British imperialism (sp), you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    I've only ever met 3 or 4 Germans and in my experience they've been pretty much the same as us, except they speak incredibly good English, as opposed to our generally rather mediocre German (apologies for those who speak marvellous German....)
    My mum speaks excellent German and she's not even German It's actually quite debatable about the role ordinary Germans played at the time. The view has changed that the mass of Germans were unaware of what was happening, Daniel Goldhagen (Proffessor at Harvard) has challenged the view - by saying ordinary Germans were willing executioners, - the sources he studied found ordinary Germans (not nazi party members willingly participated and to some extent even revelled in the brutality and mass murder. But then again there are alternative views, judging that propganda wasn't overly successful most historians accept that anti-jweish atrocities were widespread - it being a secret that could not be kept = but for some different and complex reasons the Germans did not act to stop the horror....

okay better stop there, feel like i'm giving you all a history lesson!
    just keep an open mind about these things!

ReputationRep:
    Well, you know what, I wouldnt know, seeing im tucked away in my little corner of Oceania far form the rest of civilisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    My mum speaks excellent German and she's not even German It's actually quite debatable about the role ordinary Germans played at the time. The view has changed that the mass of Germans were unaware of what was happening, Daniel Goldhagen (Proffessor at Harvard) has challenged the view - by saying ordinary Germans were willing executioners, - the sources he studied found ordinary Germans (not nazi party members willingly participated and to some extent even revelled in the brutality and mass murder. But then again there are alternative views, judging that propganda wasn't overly successful most historians accept that anti-jweish atrocities were widespread - it being a secret that could not be kept = but for some different and complex reasons the Germans did not act to stop the horror....

okay better stop there, feel like i'm giving you all a history lesson!
    just keep an open mind about these things!
    No, I like to hear about this stuff from all angles.
    And I will keep an open mind, but if you'd care to turn your gaze towards my brilliantly coloured sig....

ReputationRep:
    No, I like to hear about this stuff from all angles.
    And I will keep an open mind, but if you'd care to turn your gaze towards my brilliantly coloured sig....
    like your sig, did you know procrastinating is my hobbie?

ReputationRep:
    like your sig, did you know procrastinating is my hobbie?
    I do now! After all, right now, I'm sposed to be writing an essay on Chaucer....

ReputationRep:
    I do now! After all, right now, I'm sposed to be writing an essay on Chaucer....
    Thank god chaucer was last year couldn't bear studying the Wife of Bath again.

ReputationRep:
    Thank god chaucer was last year couldn't bear studying the Wife of Bath again.
    Oh, I don't know... she's alright, but maybe I'm only saying that because I've only just started her - my essay title is "Compare and contrast the ways in which Chaucer presents the Wife of Bath, Franklin and Miller".
    But I spy an Othello quote in your sig - now that's something I look forward to leaving behind!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I don't know... she's alright, but maybe I'm only saying that because I've only just started her - my essay title is "Compare and contrast the ways in which Chaucer presents the Wife of Bath, Franklin and Miller".
    But I spy an Othello quote in your sig - now that's something I look forward to leaving behind!

lol. No i like Othello. It's not an open book exam but i'm still okay with it, i learn quotations pretty fast.

ReputationRep:
    lol. No i like Othello. It's not an open book exam but i'm still okay with it, i learn quotations pretty fast.
    It's not the quotations that bother me, it just doesn't inspire me in any way. And I don't fully understand it, either. Not looking forward to the exam...

ReputationRep:
    It's not the quotations that bother me, it just doesn't inspire me in any way. And I don't fully understand it, either. Not looking forward to the exam...
    I think partly why i love it is because my teacher is brilliant at teaching it. Get a studyguide if you can on it, they're usually quite helpful. And have just realised that i am once again responsible for changing the topic on this thread -! Must stop!

ReputationRep:
    V. Quickly back to Goldhagens view - don't take it literally - he's been crititicised for his selective use of evidence and sweeping generalisations!

ReputationRep:
    we have to know that we prefer to be with certain races more than other races, perhaps due to differences or similarities of traditions etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woodsy)
    I hate every single thing about Germany. The fact that we allowed them to have their country back immediately after the war astounds me more than anything, considering the ****ing huns started two world wars. How can a nation be so blind to the evil that was in Hitler's regime. The army let itself be run over into mass killing squads. Would that have ever happened in this country, not a ****ing chance!
    There language is also the most barbaric on earth, it is absolutely disgusting to hear them speak. This sounds like racism I know, but we hate Germans and they hate us. The difference is, we beat them twice.
    You are a fool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    You are a fool.
    we pretty much figured that out.

ReputationRep:
    we pretty much figured that out.
    Yeah, I know. I just had to say it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Yeah, I know. I just had to say it.
    Hows your head? I hope you didn't drink anymore last night.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.