Turn on thread page Beta

Can't sleep but so, so tired. Please help me. watch

ReputationRep:
    Please read this and help if you can

For the last few nights, I have had real difficulty sleeping. I am so tired that I could cry or be sick, but as soon as I get to bed, I am restless and wide awake. I'm sure this lack of sleep has contributed to my cold, which of course is making me feel even worse and even more tired. In addition to this, I've lost my appetite and just don't have the energy to do anything. I have that feeling where your eyes are heavy and you're struggling to keep them open, but I can't actually fall asleep, it's torture

Last night, went to bed at 11pm, tried my best to fall asleep but didn't manage it until 5am. Woke up at 9am and couldn't get back to sleep. Have been trying to nap this afternoon (which I usually manage with ease) and haven't succeeded, not even for a minute or two.

- I don't smoke
    - I don't take drugs
    - I don't drink tea or coffee or red bull or anything with high caffeine etc because I have a slight heart condition which could be triggered by these things
    - I don't drink much alcohol, obviously since it's freshers I've drank a bit, but not since Friday and I was already feeling low by then
    - I eat healthily
    - I'm fairly fit and healthy
    - I've never had trouble sleeping before, not even when I'm ill
    - I'm not spending more time than usual on my laptop
    - I'm not stressed about uni, really enjoying it and everyone's nice and I'm not terribly homesick or anything so I don't think there's any psychological or emotional issues which could be causing this complete inability to sleep

It's my first uni lecture tomorrow at 9am til 1pm and I really, really urgently need to feel better by then. I'm going mad. If anyone has any advice I would hugely appreciate it. I'm getting so desperate for sleep right now.

ReputationRep:
    Any help would be massively appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Make an appointment to see your Dr; tell them you're stressed and not sleeping. They'll probably prescribe you a week or twos' worth of diazepam or zolpidem/zopiclone.

ReputationRep:
    If you usually take a nap in the afternoon your body clock is probably shot to pieces which won't help. See a doctor and get the 'knock-you-out' cold medicine.

ReputationRep:
    You should see a doctor. How about trying to drink hot milk before you go to bed. What works for me is so have a bath before i go to bed which normally send me nodding off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mad Dog)
    If you usually take a nap in the afternoon your body clock is probably shot to pieces which won't help. See a doctor and get the 'knock-you-out' cold medicine.
    I don't usually sleep in the afternnoon (work / school / usually busy!), but I know from past experience that if I ever feel the need to (late night or illness or worn out from exercising or whatever), I can easily sleep pretty much whenever I want. I usually have a regular sleep pattern.

I am planning to see a doctor if this doesn't improve, any advice / meds that can help me tonight though?

Thanks for the reply

ReputationRep:
    It could be possible (although it's extremely hard to tell) that you have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. It's difficult for anyone on an online forum to properly diagnose what's wrong with you, so I'd try and book a doctor's appointment ASAP so he can test you for anything or possibly give you sleeping aids such as diazepam or melatonin. I live with my mum, who experiences what you do and I can see how exhausting it can be physically and mentally so I really sympathise to your situation. I would talk to someone at the university to let them know your situation that you may not be 100% for the lecture and ask if you can pick up some worksheets or look for the lecture online instead so you're not worried all night that you have to be alert for a 10am lecture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixelated)
    Make an appointment to see your Dr; tell them you're stressed and not sleeping. They'll probably prescribe you a week or twos' worth of diazepam or zolpidem/zopiclone.
    I'm not stressed though. There's literally no obvious reason why I can't sleep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simran Mars Foster)
    You should see a doctor. How about trying to drink hot milk before you go to bed. What works for me is so have a bath before i go to bed which normally send me nodding off.
    I've really lost my appetite, hot milk doesn't great to me right now (cold water and cold pasta is all I'm able to stomach right now) but thank you for the advice. I'd love to have a nice relaxing bath but unfortunately my uni bathroom only has a shower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    It could be possible (although it's extremely hard to tell) that you have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. It's difficult for anyone on an online forum to properly diagnose what's wrong with you, so I'd try and book a doctor's appointment ASAP so he can test you for anything or possibly give you sleeping aids such as diazepam or melatonin. I live with my mum, who experiences what you do and I can see how exhausting it can be physically and mentally so I really sympathise to your situation. I would talk to someone at the university to let them know your situation that you may not be 100% for the lecture and ask if you can pick up some worksheets or look for the lecture online instead so you're not worried all night that you have to be alert for a 10am lecture.
    Thank you for this. I'm definitely gonna go to the doctor if this doesn't improve, it's driving me mad and it's only been a few days. I know it's unlikely that anyone knows of any home remedies / easily available pills that could help me overnight, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

(Just realised it's a 9am start, which means I'd like to be awake by 7am... The possibility of not being able to sleep till 5am like last night is killing me aghhr)

ReputationRep:
    Maybe is just the fact that your in a new environment and need to get used to it. I'd suggest a vist to the Dr though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilie18)
    Thank you for this. I'm definitely gonna go to the doctor if this doesn't improve, it's driving me mad and it's only been a few days. I know it's unlikely that anyone knows of any home remedies / easily available pills that could help me overnight, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

(Just realised it's a 9am start, which means I'd like to be awake by 7am... The possibility of not being able to sleep till 5am like last night is killing me aghhr)
    Just a few things for now I can think of...turn the computer/all activities off an hour before you get into bed, make sure your bed is comfortable, that your room is a decent temperature, have a hot bath, have a peppermint tea, try a yoga video on youtube or just breathing exercises, make your room as dark as possible so no light can get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilie18)
    I'm not stressed though. There's literally no obvious reason why I can't sleep
    Hmm, I can't really offer any other advice than see your Dr. a.s.a.p. - if you have any particular thoughts which are consistent, try writing them down before you try and sleep and as has been said, a hot bath is always a great muscle relaxant + sleep inducer. In terms of meds you could get tonight - Nytol is an over-the-counter sleep aid, but it won't knock you out (it's an antihistimine).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    Just a few things for now I can think of...turn the computer/all activities off an hour before you get into bed, make sure your bed is comfortable, that your room is a decent temperature, have a hot bath, have a peppermint tea, try a yoga video on youtube or just breathing exercises, make your room as dark as possible so no light can get in.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixelated)
    Hmm, I can't really offer any other advice than see your Dr. a.s.a.p. - if you have any particular thoughts which are consistent, try writing them down before you try and sleep and as has been said, a hot bath is always a great muscle relaxant + sleep inducer. In terms of meds you could get tonight - Nytol is an over-the-counter sleep aid, but it won't knock you out (it's an antihistimine).
    Thank you for your help x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawrice)
    Maybe is just the fact that your in a new environment and need to get used to it. I'd suggest a vist to the Dr though
    Maybe, slept fine for the first 5 or 6 days though. If it was the new environment surely I'd have struggled from the first night... Thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    The worst thing you can do is to THINK about going to sleep. Just try and let your mind drift, go into your favourite story/film until it turns into a dream. Do you get plenty of fresh air and exercise during the day?

ReputationRep:
    I'm having this problem lately too. I have to get up for work at 7am and the past day I Havre been a zombie. I slept from 11pm-3am then I woke up n haven't got back to sleep. I'm so tired because of past two days like this and it's affecting me at work. I'm so tired I can cry but I close me eyes n my mind is awake. I really don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomas2)
    The worst thing you can do is to THINK about going to sleep. Just try and let your mind drift, go into your favourite story/film until it turns into a dream. Do you get plenty of fresh air and exercise during the day?
    Yeah I've tried, usually I can fall asleep really easily, but nothing is working... Did the day-dreaming thing last night 10pm-12pm, fell asleep by 12.30pm-ish, but woke up at 3am and wasn't able to get back to sleep. Went for a walk at 4am. Tried to go back to sleep when I got back. Couldn't. Been awake ever since.

Yep, I get plenty of fresh air - been walking around local Birmingham a lot in the last few days to get to know the city since I've just moved here. Went for a long walk before bed last night, too. Haven't really changed my exercise habits recently - apart from moving from home-uni, my routine hasn't changed much.

aaaagggghhhhhhhrrrrrr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikko)
    I'm having this problem lately too. I have to get up for work at 7am and the past day I Havre been a zombie. I slept from 11pm-3am then I woke up n haven't got back to sleep. I'm so tired because of past two days like this and it's affecting me at work. I'm so tired I can cry but I close me eyes n my mind is awake. I really don't know what to do.
    I hate it... Been like this since friday and my brain feels like it's turned to mush, what great timing when my first lecture is in less than two hours. What a great impression I'm going to make ha

Well if i find a solution i'll let you know on here.. hope it gets better soon for both of us!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 1, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.