The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

why do people hate the police...

Scroll to see replies

Alot of corruption, they have too much power and tbh a solid 70% are corrupted. I could tell you some personal stories you would be shocked at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dukeofwembley
i think that anyone that hates the police should be banned from using any emergency services, even ambulances and hospitals

i was watching the riots episode on bbc about views on the police, and a woman was encouraging violence against them

what if her mother had been killed or raped , do you think she still would have had the same attitude towards the police.

what are your opinions?

the police are amazing but I assume anarchy could be an idiotic reason why
Have you seen American police?

[video="youtube;hZ3dzffVZAI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ3dzffVZAI[/video]

Just one example. Many, many, many more out there.

He got shot eight times whilst reaching for his ID. No comment.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kierensaddlr
Have you seen American police?

[video="youtube;hZ3dzffVZAI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ3dzffVZAI[/video]

Just one example. Many, many, many more out there.

He got shot eight times whilst reaching for his ID. No comment.

So that gives you the right to dislike a single police officer, not the over 1 million police officers in the USA

It's amazing how when all Muslims are blamed for terrorist attacks we call those people ignorant yet when all police are blamed for the actions of a tiny minority it seems to be acceptable to say you hate the police
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Underscore__
So that gives you the right to dislike a single police officer, not the over 1 million police officers in the USA

It's amazing how when all Muslims are blamed for terrorist attacks we call those people ignorant yet when all police are blamed for the actions of a tiny minority it seems to be acceptable to say you hate the police

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/31/the-counted-police-killings-2015-young-black-men

I do not hate the police, but understand why some do. UK police are leagues better than US police. There are stories upon stories of police brutality in the US...

[video="youtube;wzrIR6DAhFs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzrIR6DAhFs[/video]
(edited 6 years ago)
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/31/the-counted-police-killings-2015-young-black-men

I do not hate the police, but understand why some do. UK police are leagues better than US police. There are stories upon stories of police brutality in the US...

[video="youtube;wzrIR6DAhFs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzrIR6DAhFs[/video]

Even if you had 1,000 stories of individual police officers doing horrible things you're still looking at a fraction of a percent of all police in the US. As I said disliking police based on the actions of a tiny percentage is ridiculous. If it's understandable that some people stereotype police because of the actions of some is not also understandable that some police officers stereotype black people based on the actions of a few?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
Even if you had 1,000 stories of individual police officers doing horrible things you're still looking at a fraction of a percent of all police in the US. As I said disliking police based on the actions of a tiny percentage is ridiculous. If it's understandable that some people stereotype police because of the actions of some is not also understandable that some police officers stereotype black people based on the actions of a few?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with you Underscore on both points, but perhaps the number of cases of police misconduct suggests a culture problem in some areas of the police force that needs investigation.

Some also hate the police because of who they protect. Yes, they protect the public, but also the government. And depending on the actions of said government (e.g. tax cuts to the wealthy whilst cutting provisions for the sick, elderly, disabled, homeless etc.) they can be viewed in a way as protecting the individuals responsible for these actions. Case in point, Jeremy Hunt.
I agree with you Underscore on both points, but perhaps the number of cases of police misconduct suggests a culture problem in some areas of the police force that needs investigation.

If you could point to a police department where even one percent of officers have been allowed to continue after a serious misconduct then I'd be prepared to concede that perhaps there is a need to investigate but I doubt you'll find a police department where that's the case.

Some also hate the police because of who they protect. Yes, they protect the public, but also the government. And depending on the actions of said government (e.g. tax cuts to the wealthy whilst cutting provisions for the sick, elderly, disabled, homeless etc.) they can be viewed in a way as protecting the individuals responsible for these actions. Case in point, Jeremy Hunt.

But that's because the police exist outside of politics. Their job is to protect all people, advocating for the police only defending certain people is moronic; unfortunately there probably are some people who are in favour of such a policy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 148
Why did the Fire Service participate in the staging of the Grenfell Tower Fire?

They started the fire. Presumably there was nobody in the building at the time.

Watch crisis actor fireman Leon Whitley perform:

Youtube: Firefighter tells harrowing screams
I dont hate the police - I've witnessed plenty of occasions where officers were truly wonderful - but I think what I would say is that I don't automatically trust them by default. I think the notion that they should be held above criticism is ridiculous, and I mean criticism both of individuals and of inherent problems within the force. Police are just people. They can be great, or they can be terrible, or they can be anywhere in between and to assume anything is naive. At the end of the day, we are the reason they get payed and they should be there to protect & work for us. That gives us the right to air our concerns, surely?
People hate the police and quite rightly so, because they always think theyre right even when theyre wrong, do things like steal your money you worked hard for simply by falsely claiming it was proceeds of crime, handing you out spot fines because through no fault of your own the inside of your windscreen was msty and there was no way of doing anything much about it due ti humidity and as fast as you cleared it up it went misty again, stealing your Ferrairi because it ran out insurance last night and it had slipped your mind and extorting money off you to get it back, sending you fines, letters asking you to gras your mate up for driving knowing full damn well he'll at best never talk to you again, or at worst beat the crap out of you if he was driving because god forbid youre car did 31 MPH in a 30 limit, make your wrists go blue and painful with overtight handcuffs because you called the officer a little devil just because he tasered you with 40 volts of electtricity because oh dear you were caught peeing on street corner cos your were bursting and there were no public toilets, they make false statements in court to get you done for something you didnt do, because they punch you when they arrest you. In some countries like portugal, they wlll even take you in a room and beat the crap out of you with handcuffs on to make you to confess to something you didnt do, then do you for assaulting them in court, they do things like seize your £300 bottle of vintage champagne cos you hadd the ausacity to take a sip out of it in a public place, they lock you in a cell alll weekend and bring you to court on monday when they could have just taken your name and address and sumonsed you, they love throwing theyre weight and power around and trying to make you feel small, they cause old men to get heart attacks by tasering them when in fact they were the victim, I could go on all nght about 1000 other terrible things they do, Other than that the police do a fantastic job and are lovely people
Reply 151
**** the pigs yo.
Well there are few incidences of police doing things such as blasting people who had the audacity to get pissed on a saturday night with 40,000 volts of electricty and causing them heart attacks, shooting dead a brazilian man in london on his way to work, prosecuting victims of headlocks by 8 ft tall bouncers who nearly died, because the victim assaulted the bouncer by touching him with his finger whilst being strangled to death (nearly anyway) seizing lottery wins in POCA proceedings because 5 years ago that person claimed JSA and worked in tescos without declaring it, seizing life savings off illegal immigrant wrokers who had the ausacity to earn £3 per hour working like slaves in simialr proceedings, jumping on pensioners back and nearly killing him, seizing Ferrraris off people cos their insurance expired 2 hours ago and they forgot, making false statements in court to get people done for crimes they never did (and guess who the magistrates believed) on numerous occasions, physically punching suspects, etc ,etc,

but other than that the police do a wonderful job and there is absolutely no no reason why you should hate them ! !! ! ! ! LOL
Original post by Captain Haddock
Well said, 23-year-old-me.

This is becoming a triennial tradition...
This is becoming a triennial tradition...

Well said, 23-year-old-me.

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
It's the worse when you find time capsule you. Makes you feel so old :afraid:

Hello follow old timer.

With regards to my veiws on the police. They are good to have around when you are in a situation which feel dangerouse.

But a police presence in an enviroment where you are normally comfortable and at ease then they become the threat at make me feal uneasy.
(edited 6 years ago)
Every single person I've come across who dislike the police are people with criminal records. :lol: I guess they hate them because they got caught? I had an ex that started to dislike them purely because he was a follower and his friends held that view, he never actually had a reason, so there's definitely a herd mentality, particularly with young male groups.
There's also this huge dislike of people with authority, who they view as people who perceive themselves as above them. Even in school, there were some children who really hated teachers and being told what to do and they almost took it personally. Online, some people have a huge problem with moderators because they think the moderator is someone who views themselves in a high position of power and some people don't like that - they wish for total equality and no moderation, but I think some people can appreciate the chaos that can ensue if a website is not monitored or has enforceable rules - people will run it into the ground in a matter of days.
Actual anarchists challenge the way society is run (though they often wish for total equality), people who hate the police aren't trying to make societal change, they just want to cause a further divide and also be able to behave however they want without any repercussions, which is infeasible. I wonder if they're people who had no repercussions or punishment for their behaviour as children and wish for that to continue in adulthood.
Reply 156
Original post by hannxm
Every single person I've come across who dislike the police are people with criminal records. :lol: I guess they hate them because they got caught? I had an ex that started to dislike them purely because he was a follower and his friends held that view, he never actually had a reason, so there's definitely a herd mentality, particularly with young male groups.
There's also this huge dislike of people with authority, who they view as people who perceive themselves as above them. Even in school, there were some children who really hated teachers and being told what to do and they almost took it personally. Online, some people have a huge problem with moderators because they think the moderator is someone who views themselves in a high position of power and some people don't like that - they wish for total equality and no moderation, but I think some people can appreciate the chaos that can ensue if a website is not monitored or has enforceable rules - people will run it into the ground in a matter of days.
Actual anarchists challenge the way society is run (though they often wish for total equality), people who hate the police aren't trying to make societal change, they just want to cause a further divide and also be able to behave however they want without any repercussions, which is infeasible. I wonder if they're people who had no repercussions or punishment for their behaviour as children and wish for that to continue in adulthood.

Or people just dont like the police for being the ultimate party poopers - not to mention thugs. When you get whacked with a cosh and kettled for having the audacity to accidently walk into the middle of a fight between the EDL and UAF down in London town it tends to poison you to them somewhat.
Original post by Napp
Or people just dont like the police for being the ultimate party poopers - not to mention thugs. When you get whacked with a cosh and kettled for having the audacity to accidently walk into the middle of a fight between the EDL and UAF down in London town it tends to poison you to them somewhat.

I remember the sad case of Ian Tomlinson the newspaper seller who was walking home from work and was hit by a police officer and die from his injuries.
(edited 6 years ago)
From a drivers perspective. They've pretty much become money hounds. They'll sit in unmarked cars just waiting for you to slip up so they can increase their paycheck. Not to mention the hounding of meets.
Don't force me out of a massive, empty car park because you're bored and think i'm being dangerous...
Reply 159
Original post by looloo2134
I remember the sad case of Ian Tomlinson the newspaper seller who was walking home from work and was hit by a police officer and die from his injuries.

Indeed i recall that as well, poor *******.

I remember talking to a friend, ironically enough in the Police, who was bashing his colleagues in the riot control units - apparently theyre a bunch of rabid thugs who deeply treasure the times they get to banton charge people and spend their time pumping each other up in the vans before assaulting the public.

Latest

Trending

Trending