Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Prob a realy studpid q...but im just wondering why some unis go by points and others by specific grades? Has it got anything to do with the reputation of the uni?? obviously it makes it easier if theres points, as u r not tied down to certain grades...but how does the uni decide on whether to or not?x x x

ReputationRep:
    ...all i know is that when i went to Leeds on an Open Day they said they make grades offers because they don't accept anything lower than B grades, whereas if they made points offers people with C's could still get in by getting higher grades to balance it out and they don't want that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prettyinpunk)
    ...all i know is that when i went to Leeds on an Open Day they said they make grades offers because they don't accept anything lower than B grades, whereas if they made points offers people with C's could still get in by getting higher grades to balance it out and they don't want that
    It usually makes little difference, as often the points is cited something along the lines of: 'XXX points from 3 A-levels', sometimes followed with 'with subject Y at at least grade Z'...

ReputationRep:
    Points are less specific so if you are going for a course like medicine they are likely to ask for e.g. 'A' grade human biology because it might be essential that you have that specific knowledge before you start the course. For history they might ask for a high points tally instead because if you did badly at English literature but well at English language then that won't affect your ability to learn history too badly. Although more prestigious Uni's can ask for higher or more specific grades than less prestigious ones because they have more applicants to choose from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prettyinpunk)
    That can't be a university-wide policy because I was offered BCC for French and Russian and for German and Russian as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnny)
    That can't be a university-wide policy because I was offered BCC for French and Russian and for German and Russian as well.
    Joint honours degrees tend to have slightly lower entrance requirements on the whole.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the department etc as well.

If a course requires 300 points then that could be made up from key skills and all sorts of crap like that. By being specific about the grades they ensure it is genuine grades.

My course just said 220 points with the majority being from A2.

ReputationRep:
    I wish more English unis would go on points rather than on grades! If I included my core skills, I've got about double the points of someone with three As at A level :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If they just gon on points then that means you can make up points with rubbish subjects, or lots of as-levels.

Many uni's specify "x points from 3 a-levels" which ties it down quite alot. Other uni's give grade offers but there isn't much between them.

The only important difference is that if somwhere gives you a ABB offer, then getting AAC would not fullfill it. Whereas an equivalent points offer they would be considered equal. Which is a way of making sure the grades you get are at least B's i guess.

ReputationRep:
    It's just a notation that different institutions use, but I think the more 'respected' universities will tend to opt for the grading system.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.