Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Connecting apple laptop to internet watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I just bought an apple ibook, and by God's grace it has been a very pleasurable purchase !

I also use my computer which is connected to the internet via. broadband (phoneline) I'm with wanadoo. The modem I use is the speedtouch USB.
    I was meant to install the modem software on the laptop and just connect the modem to connect to the internet, but upon using the modem installation software disk, there were some problems.
    Firstly, I click the option for mac and it installs the modem, but apparently with version 10 macs, there is a problem with the software so I downloaded an update to the software and transffered the file to the mac (via. bluetooth) and installed the updatefrom this site; http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/support.htm

Now I start-up the modem software and connect the modem, but it indicates that the modem isnt ready :confused: and doesnt detect the modem.

Help please well appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Get a router, USB is rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid question, but did you download the Tiger update (OSX 10.4.x), rather than the earlier OSX update (10.1 - 10.3)?

If you have a new mac, you'll have Tiger on it, so will need the Tiger updater.

Also, I agree with banksy - connecting to the internet via ethernet or Wireless through a router is much better than USB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomasp)
    Stupid question, but did you download the Tiger update (OSX 10.4.x), rather than the earlier OSX update (10.1 - 10.3)?
    Yep, downloaded the Tiger version.

How much would a router cost? How does it work?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really sure how much routers cost, but they should be less than £100 (even if you get one with an ethernet hub and wireless capabilities).

They plug into your broadband splitter (which is connected to the phone line and separates the "broadband" signal from the "telephone" signal) in the same way your current USB modem does, but allow you to connect more than one computer to the internet either wirelessly or via the ethernet socket.

The computers are then all on a local network, so you can share files between them. Routers also tend to have their own firewalls, and you can restrict a certain computer's access to the internet as well

In this thread, AT82 reviews wireless routers - it might be worth a read : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=209596

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much thomasp!

Looks like I'll have to buy a router, but otherwise would there be any other way to get the internet working on my laptop without the need to spend anymore money? I've really gone over my budget.
    I don't actually mind the speed, as long as it's not too slow, I would be happy to try any other options to connecting to the internet ?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnarl)
    Thank you very much thomasp!

Looks like I'll have to buy a router, but otherwise would there be any other way to get the internet working on my laptop without the need to spend anymore money? I've really gone over my budget.
    I don't actually mind the speed, as long as it's not too slow, I would be happy to try any other options to connecting to the internet ?

Thanks.
    You'll have to contact Wannadoo direct and see why it isn't working...

ReputationRep:
    its nothing to do with wanadoo its the modem

I have had problems with badly set up Macs before (no offence) that there is USB conflicts and you get these problems. Try using the modem with no other USB devices connected

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 14, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.