Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How would i go about connecting a mac mini to a tv, what cables do i need etc?

I havent got the mac yet, but might be getting one so need to know before i do.

ReputationRep:
    If your using a normal tv, then I don't think you can connect it without some kind of convertor to convert the monitor output to scart. If however, you've got a plasma screen with DVI in, then you can connect it with a DVI cable.

ReputationRep:
    Its a normal tv, is there an s video output on the back of the mac, i had a look on the website but it was slightly unclear, and difficult to tell from the pictures.

ReputationRep:
    The Mini comes with a DVI - VGA converter, but that's not really much help for tellies, unless yours is brand new, in which case it may well have a VGA port on it...

However, you can buy a DVI - Video converter for £15. Click here to see it.

Also, check out this page, near the bottom for more info on hooking the Mini up to a telly: http://www.apple.com/uk/macmini/accessories.html

The DVI - Video converter will have a standard co-ax output. Looking at the ports on the Mini, there's no S-video out.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, i know what i need now.

ReputationRep:
    One other thing: you might want some decent speakers

I'm not sure if the mini has an internal speaker, but I know you won't get any sound out of the telly. There will be a standard 3.5mm headphone jack on the back of the mini which you can plug into any sound system with a 3.5mm line in.

ReputationRep:
    For sound, you can hook the 3.5mm stereo output to the phono inputs on your tv with one of these cables:
    3.5mm male to 2 phono male

The sound quality will only be as good as the quality of your tv speakers though. So as ThomasP suggested, it would be better to hook it up to dedicated speakers.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.