Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I’m a fairly keen on getting involved in some boxing when I go Uni!

Does Warwick have any facilities or societies that do amateur boxing???

Thanks for any answers

ReputationRep:
    I dont think any unis do, because of insurance reasons i think,.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look on WarwickSport. Even if they don't do boxing you might find something similar. Or find lots of people who want to do it and look into starting up a club?

There might also be something in cov or leam? Google's probably your best bet.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.sunion.warwick.ac.uk/thaiboxing/

ReputationRep:
    ye, i was looking for boxing when i came as well. They only have muay thai (thai boxing) which i tried, and hated. but that could be coz i do taekwondo already and the two are quite different...you might like it who knows, its worth a try.

in case you were wondering...IMO thai boxing is good for big strong people...but useless for most others:p:

ReputationRep:
    Thai boxing? Is that like regular boxing only with nicer food?

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna give Muay Thai a go when I get there. I'm big and strong so I should be alright

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddylad)
    Thai boxing? Is that like regular boxing only with nicer food?
    lol

it's like regular boxing but with some (very slow and rubbish!! ) kicks thrown in. And some head grabbing techniques as well (which is the main bit i was referring to when i said it's only good for big and strong ppl...anybody trying this sort of thing on someone bigger/stronger than them would be annihilated!:p: ).

my advice to ppl would be either find a proper boxing club in coventry or a martial art with decent kicking instead of half-arsed stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I may give Thai Boxing a try, but I’m not been very big will get me screwed over!

I’ve looked at Coventry, there are a couple of clubs there just need to work out if its worth the hassle, Birmingham has a lot more.

Thanks for the help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crosseyed_cat)
    lol

it's like regular boxing but with some (very slow and rubbish!! ) kicks thrown in. And some head grabbing techniques as well (which is the main bit i was referring to when i said it's only good for big and strong ppl...anybody trying this sort of thing on someone bigger/stronger than them would be annihilated!:p: ).

my advice to ppl would be either find a proper boxing club in coventry or a martial art with decent kicking instead of half-arsed stuff.
    Sorry to say, but you clearly have no idea about thaiboxing. Thai boxing is not slow, and by no means does size matter like you say it does. Please research something before you comment like that.

And yes, I have done thaiboxing before as well as various other martial arts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Splinter)
    Sorry to say, but you clearly have no idea about thaiboxing. Thai boxing is not slow, and by no means does size matter like you say it does. Please research something before you comment like that.

And yes, I have done thaiboxing before as well as various other martial arts.
    aha...i knew there would be someone somewhere who hated what i said, i was just waiting for this comment wooo i love martial arts *****fights, nobody ever wins lol

like i've said clearly, all the above is just my opinion anyway. And if by "research" you mean trying the sport (TB) out then i think i've done enough.

(one last small point...i only said i thought the kicking in muay thai was slow not the boxing, and thats in comparison to other martial arts)

ReputationRep:
    *sigh* and karate kicking is fast? Only kung-fu can really be described as fast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Splinter)
    *sigh* and karate kicking is fast? Only kung-fu can really be described as fast.
    i wouldn't know, i don't do karate.
    i do WTF taekwondo which is quite different, and yes the kicking is extremely fast. there is also a wider range of leg techniques, some of which (like the back heel kick) are also very practical for "everyday"(ie.street) use and powerful. Thats what i was using in my comparison to muay thai.
    now, i think i'll stop before this thread gets silly

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 22, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.