Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i was wondering has anyone been to any of the headstart courses that take place in the summer. are they any good? how useful are they to have taken part in, in terms of university applications for engineering at oxbridge/imperial?

thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I went on the Chem Eng one at Nottingham last summer. You have to apply the knowledge you already know into various challenges as a member of a small team. The challenges aren't that in-depth but give some idea of possible tasks involved in engineering and it also gives you the opportunity to talk and meet current engineers and undergraduates.

Basically headstart is about meeting new people for 3/4 days in the summer and having something nice to put on your personal statement that you can talk about if required. It won't get you into any university though (you'll need to show you can get the grades) but it shows that you have the right attitude for an engineering degree.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have thought it would prove to be a massive advantage but it will certainly show you have an interest in the given field which may improve your chances over someone who has the same grades as you.

ReputationRep:
    when do u have to start booking the headstart courses?

You are a few months too late.

ReputationRep:
    I sent off my acceptance form for the Aeronautical Engineering just a few weeks ago.

"Application Forms must be returned to Headstart before 14th March of the course year. "

I sent mine off before Christmas

ReputationRep:
    Sent mine off in Feb. Got a place, its just a matter of forking out £800 to go now...

ReputationRep:
    Mine went in Feb too. Now off to Sheffield in the summer

ReputationRep:
    Anybody else fancy coming to Colorado? You can still apply, and you need to send the money off by July.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lapsaJ)
    Sent mine off in Feb. Got a place, its just a matter of forking out £800 to go now...
    £800 ?? How? Why?!:eek::eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henryt)
    £800 ?? How? Why?!:eek::eek:
    Because if you look at my location: Yorkshire, UK. And Im going to the Headstart course in Colorado. Teachers at school reckoned it'll kinda show in a way that Im 'passionate' about the subject which helps at uni interviews. But heck, it'll be an experience and we're staying for a few extra days to see Colorado n stuff.

Oh yea, and its $325.00 for the course. Then flights aswell.

So, anyone fancy coming .

I stick for Cambridge at £150. I don't have enough money for Colorado

ReputationRep:
    Same here. But Im saving lol. Thats the good thing with it being a late payment date - 1st July. But hopefully Ill get there...

"Recreational evening activities by the poolside" Sounds good

ReputationRep:
    are there any courses for which i havent missed the deadline??? anything similar to headstart?
    i'm scared now!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, headstart in Colorado , and it'll look twice as good.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll stick with england for now, Colorado's a bit far. I'm going to the headstart course at Warwick uni, anyone else going?

ReputationRep:
    I went on an insight course for engineering last summer at bristol, it was very helpful to me, i didnt really have a clue what engineering was untill then. It shines on your personal statement too.

ReputationRep:
    I did engineering experience at Luf, was only 40 quid but was for 2 days, just showed you the types of engineering. TBH though a few weeks of work experience in the summmer will replace the headstart course your missing on the ucas form.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if we are allowed out at nights??

And if so hows the nightlife?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2007
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.