vegetarianism Watch

This discussion is closed.
q1w2e3r4t5y
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Is it true that there are such vegetarians who do not even wash themselves so that they can avoid hurting the parasites on their bodies?

Btw can any vegetarians tell me if it's wrong to eat plants, as they are living things and how do we know that plants can't feel pain :confused:
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In all honesty you don't know if plants can feel pain or not, it is unlikely that they would feel pain on the same level as mamals birds or fish as they do not have a nevous system but other than thay you can never be sure. But you have to eat something to survive. I don't eat meat, fish, poultry or shell fish (I think that covers everthing) I also don't wear leather and eat only free range eggs. I know that dietary wise I could do more but I have tried veganism and I couldn't do it healthily and my health has to come first. So in conclusion I think it is unlikely but it is possible that plants feel pain but I still eat them
q1w2e3r4t5y
Rep:
?
because meat eaters could argue that if plants don't feel pain on the same level as animals and you don't eat them partly because of that reason, and animals don't feel pain on the same level as humans, then why still eat plants?

Edit: I think, is there such thing as a fruitanarian or something? (sp) because they don't believe in killing plants :eek:

I'm confused, please help me work out what I'm trying to say :s:
cottonmouth
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by pianist)
because meat eaters could argue that if plants don't feel pain on the same level as animals and you don't eat them partly because of that reason, and animals don't feel pain on the same level as humans, then why still eat plants?

Edit: I think, is there such thing as a fruitanarian or something? (sp) because they don't believe in killing plants :eek:

I'm confused, please help me work out what I'm trying to say :s:
You aren't really saying anything, deary.

Plants don't feel pain. They don't have any sort of complex intelligence, they don't have brains. They don't have nervous systems. And what would people eat if they didn't touch any living thing? Dust? Marjorie would be happy about that though, i'm sure.
q1w2e3r4t5y
Rep:
?
(Original post by cottonmouth)
You aren't really saying anything, deary.

Plants don't feel pain. They don't have any sort of complex intelligence, they don't have brains. They don't have nervous systems. And what would people eat if they didn't touch any living thing? Dust? Marjorie would be happy about that though, i'm sure.
Excuse me, no need to be patronising.

There is possible evidence that plants feel pain, but as randdom said, not on the same level as animals or humans.
You could say that some animals don't have "any sort of complex intelligence" either.
And about not touching anything living, that is the point I'm trying to get at.
cottonmouth
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Excuse me, no need to be patronising.

There is possible evidence that plants feel pain, but as randdom said, not on the same level as animals or humans.
You could say that some animals don't have "any sort of complex intelligence" either.
And about not touching anything living, that is the point I'm trying to get at.
Get at it, then. What would you have them eat? There can't be anything of the sort which you describe, unless they propose to die staunchly once they take up this "fruitarianism" or whatever it is!
q1w2e3r4t5y
Rep:
?
(Original post by cottonmouth)
Get at it, then. What would you have them eat? There can't be anything of the sort which you describe, unless they propose to die staunchly once they take up this "fruitarianism" or whatever it is!
That's the thing, just because it's not convenient, they won't do it. If vegetarians were doing it for moral reasons (which most do) then wouldn't it be a little hypocritical of them?
guitargirl03
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Plants don't have central-nervous systems, therefore they have no pain censors (spelling?).

As for the whole bacteria thing. Vegetarians and vegans are against the deliberate killing of animals, and as far as I know, humans don't deliberately kill bacteria, apart from using anti-bacterial sprays...
Laika
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Plants aren't conscious. Please drop this pitiful excuse for an argument and find a new line of attack against vegetarianism.

Edit: I'd just like to add, why would anyone argue AGAINST vegetarianism? It produces absolutely no victims, and can only be seen as either a positive, or a neutral act. The only excuse you could have for arguing against it is simple insecurity or plain arrogance.
Lawz-
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Laika)
Plants aren't conscious. Please drop this pitiful excuse for an argument and find a new line of attack against vegetarianism.

Edit: I'd just like to add, why would anyone argue AGAINST vegetarianism? It produces absolutely no victims, and can only be seen as either a positive, or a neutral act. The only excuse you could have for arguing against it is simple insecurity or plain arrogance.
Perhaps the fact that many products that are consumed disproportionatly by vegitarians are environmentally damaging. Eg Soya.
cheesecakebobby
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh no, I can't be bothered with another one of these...
Angelica
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lawz-)
Perhaps the fact that many products that are consumed disproportionatly by vegitarians are environmentally damaging. Eg Soya.
True, soya is damaging to the environment. However, about 90% (I don't remember the exact figure, it's a very large percentage) of soya produced is used to feed animals which are then consumed by humans.
q1w2e3r4t5y
Rep:
?
(Original post by guitargirl03)
Plants don't have central-nervous systems, therefore they have no pain censors (spelling?).

As for the whole bacteria thing. Vegetarians and vegans are against the deliberate killing of animals, and as far as I know, humans don't deliberately kill bacteria, apart from using anti-bacterial sprays...
OK but is taking the life of a plant still considered morally wrong as it is a living thing?

I'm just arguing from a meat eater's side because I don't know where I stand on this and I want to know what I'm getting myself into.

Some could say that about religion... but look at the D&D threads.
guitargirl03
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
OK but is taking the life of a plant still considered morally wrong as it is a living thing?

I'm just arguing from a meat eater's side because I don't know where I stand on this and I want to know what I'm getting myself into.

Some could say that about religion... but look at the D&D threads.

I'd advise you to read up on the vegetarian diet, so you can get a better understanding of it.
guitargirl03
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lawz-)
A large majority of products which both meat-eaters and vegetarians eat contain soya.
q1w2e3r4t5y
Rep:
?
thanks, discussion over.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (265)
80.06%
Leave (66)
19.94%

Watched Threads