9600pro 256mb AGP
    550W PSU
    17 inch CRT (with horrible picture)
    1 x 120gb + 1 x 40gb ATA's

-----

I plan to do the following:

Athlon X2 4200+
    Asus SLI mobo, 939, s-ata pc3700 etc.
    Thieve the 1GB from my current setup, get another 1GB and dual channel them.
    1 x 7800GTX
    Thieve 550W PSU from old setup
    New 19inch LCD
    1 x 300gb S-ATA

Now, this all comes to £850 on both ebuyer and dabs. I'm sure if i really shopped around i could get it cheaper, but for now i'm using that as a base number. I plan to perhaps get a second 7800GTX later on when i have the cash.

Why? Well, it's partly a joint birthday present (my 18th, no less) and christmas, as well as being fairly necessary to have a beastly rendering PC for my uni course. That said, i'll have to chip in a load myself too, but that's fair enough.

Anyone got any recommendations for changes. I was thinking perhaps getting one 7900GT right now, or perhaps a pair, as they are far smaller, making a pair in SLI much easier to fit. Also, I was wondering if getting a 74GB raptor @ 10,000 for my boot/windows drive was worth the extra (fairly considerable) ammount of cost for the performance increase (i'd use it just for windows).

So, basically, any ideas? I won't be getting it for a few months yet, so anything coming out by half way through june i should be aware of?

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanGrover)
    Also, I was wondering if getting a 74GB raptor @ 10,000 for my boot/windows drive was worth the extra (fairly considerable) ammount of cost for the performance increase (i'd use it just for windows).
    Probably a S-ATA @7200 won't be too much different really. Performance difference too small for the large price difference. I got a SATA2 320GB for about £90 and that does me fine.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. Raptors only truly show their potential when put in RAID-0 array - thats where it gets REALLY noticable.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's what I heard. Sod RAID, I can't afford that right now. My HDD access times don't need to be amazing, it's not like that'll be the limiting factor in anything I do - any video editing I do will purely be touchups, all other stuff will be done in post-prod programs like Combustion which eat ram, not HDD access time. So I think i'll give them a miss.

From what I've seen, the 7800GTX beats the 7900GT, but presumably not the 7900GTX - but the 7900GT is considerably cheaper than the 7800GTX - is the performance (and size!) increase from a 79gt to a 78gtx worth the considerable extra cost?

ReputationRep:
    DanGrover ar eyou reading my mind........that is exactly the setup i want for my custom build for uni but i was thinking a 4400+ X2 AMD as 1MB cache rather than 512K...? from what i read dual channel doesnt work with AMD's unless it does with the dual core CPU's? So 7900Gt's smaller than 7800GTX..? From what i read on the below forum and the link, i would say 7900GT but try get 512MB or 7900GTX ; 7900 uses 90nm chip. Also the price. Make sure your HDD has like 16MB buffer ( i assume the higher the better) and reliable.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardw...ict180267.html

http://sg.vr-zone.com/?i=3335

ReputationRep:
    I was gonna buy a PC for uni but I'm gonna wait till the new AM2 by AMD (skt 940) come out in june. Then buy a PC that will stay up-to-date for at least a bit longer. I'd say go for a 7900GT and overclock it - you'd be amazed how easy it is to overclock nvidia gfx cards. 7900GTX are way too expensive, just because they're top of the line.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be tempted to go for a 17" TFT LCD if I were you. Sure, the 19" monsters are nice, but 17" TFT's which can equal many 19"ers on levels of contrast ratios and response time are going for really low prices now. They're a bargain if you ask me, and you could save yourself a good £60~

ReputationRep:
    You may have stability problems running different brands of RAM. Sell your old one on ebay and get 2 new modules at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the 7900 GT is either the same speed or faster than the 7800 GTX depending on the benchmark. It's generally ahead, though.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.