Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So where would the best place for PPE be? Oxbridge I would presume?

Also I'm just in the process of choosing my A-Levels. I have provisionally settled on

English Literature
    Economics
    History
    French

I presume these are suitable subjects for the course whilst still allowing me to diversify in other areas?

Would maths be essential for a PPE course? Is there a lot of maths involved?

Is there quite a demanding work load? Are people taking it on here enjoying it?

Is there anything else I should know?

p.s I found an ideal course at Kent PPEE (politics, philosophy and economics in europe however no other universities offer this course) This course also gives me the chance to incorporate my linguistic skills i.e French.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford. Cambridge don't offer it. After Oxford, York.

Have a look at the social sciences forum, and the PPE guide which is sticked at the top of the Oxford forum.

If you are aiming high (ie Oxford) I would strongly advise you to do maths. The subjects you have got are good, and people have gotten in w/o maths, but it is important when you get there and they like people to have it. (My subjects are maths, eng lit, history, and rs (philosophy & ethics).

Shout if you've got any more questions. There are a fair few PPEists dotted around this site.

Tom

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in my GCSE year (year 11). The thing that worries me is Maths!

I would say Maths is one of my least favourite subjects and probably the subject I find the most difficult.

Although I'm predicted an A*/A at GCSE I feel the Maths involved in PPE might be too taxing for me? It would be difficult for you to judge, but would you recommend battling on with Maths at AS Level and risking getting a lower grade? Or continuing with my choices above?

At the moment I'm working at the Local Conservative HQ (voluntary). Is it crucial to do related work for PPE at Oxford? I.E more important than concentrating on sporting activities and other extra curricular stuff?

ReputationRep:
    Uh, well, you don't have to do maths for A level or AS level, but you will only be putting it off - you'll have to do it at Oxford, and any other university with a respectable economics department. If you can get an A* in GCSE maths, then, with a bit of work, an A at A-level is wholly manageable.

My Oxford offer is AAAB in my four subjects, but they specifically ask for an A in maths. It is an important subject for PPE, and if you cannot do the maths, you probably won't enjoy studying economics. However, you can give up economics after the first year at Oxford - so you wouldn't be battling with it for the whole of your degree.

As for extra-curriculars - basically, Oxford admit people on academic merit alone; your extracurricular stuff will not count for much. Doing stuff relevent to the course, however, WILL
    (a) demonstrate a genuine interest/passion for the course, which they will like
    (b) help you understand and learn about politics etc., and so will indirectly help you
    I did some work in a think-tank, the House of Lords, and the British Embassy in the Hague (where my parents live), and I certainly found them interesting and informative experiences. Other universities will definitely like to see stuff like that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Oxford, and 3 of my close friends do PPE. None of them has A or even AS level maths, you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    My friend has got an offer for PPE at Oxford. Very tough to get into - he had to go for 3 days of interviews and exams.

He does Politics, Business Studies and Economics. Up until recently he was doing English Lit as well, but when they made him an offer of AAA (and that had to include Politics & Economics) he dropped English to dedicate more time to the other subjects.

I have another friend who has been made an offer who does RS (with a Philiosophy based syllabus) and Politics, I think that her other subject is Maths.

ReputationRep:
    BTW, LSE has Government and Economics, which is pretty darn close to PPE (less philosophy). Many PPE applicants also put this course down (LL12).

ReputationRep:
    Your A-levels is good. I like the way you still have French allowing you to diversify if necessary. I confined myself to Maths, Economics, Politics and English for PPE. Head for Oxford, York, Durham, and Warwick for PPE.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone please tell me if PPE at manchester is any good. Please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noelmodarres)
    Can anyone please tell me if PPE at manchester is any good. Please
    No its not.

ReputationRep:
    hey,

Im in year 11 trying to sort out my A-level choices and I am considering PPE.

Is English, French, R.S and Economics acceptable?
    I reckon I'll get A* in maths Gcse, but would really not enjoy the A-level. Does this matter? Am I unlikely to be chosen without the maths A-level?
    Also considering History A-level. I'd appreciate any thoughts

cheers x

ReputationRep:
    One thing I learnt, for PPE maths is preferred. Seriously at least do it to AS.

I've applied for Eco at university now, and a lot of places prefer maths although it is not strictly essential.

So if you're in a position to do Maths, do it, it will be better. But if you decide not to do it, for whatever reason, then don't let it put you off applying..

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, Im in year 11 and I already have an A in IGCSE maths, A* in geog, and am predicted A's and A*'s. I would like to do PPE at a good uni such as Warick, Durham, York, maybe Oxford. But im not sure whether the A levels I've chosen are relevant enough..

Im planning on doing:
    French
    Spanish
    Physics
    Design
    and am doing Chinese gcse next year too.

I really enjoy my languages and design so they are'nt something I would want to give up, however do you think its worth doing maths instead of Physics? and would it be good enough to only do maths until AS level?

Thaks

ReputationRep:
    Im in Year 11 and i am thinking of doing PPE at university but im not sure about my a-levels

Im thinking of doing

Chemistry
    Biology
    History
    Philosophy

Im considering changing Economics for one of the sciences.

Is is vital that i do either maths or economics?
    I really enjoy all of PPE and have read many books on the different parts.

Do i need to change my choices to give myself the best chance.

ReputationRep:
    If you are looking for answers specifically for PPE (or even SPS at Cambridge) you might be better going to the oxbridge forum. There's a subject specific thread I believe which will tell you more information and there's people there to ask who have experience of studying the subjects.
    Also here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=72

ReputationRep:
    May I ask how you got such experiences? Social/ parental connections, or is there a formal structure for applying?

ReputationRep:
    PPE courses : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/PPE_at_Oxford
    Economics courses : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Economics_Degree

Also worth looking at courses in Liberal Arts at Birmingham, Exeter, Bristol etc- these allow you to study a range of Arts/Humanities/Social Science courses together and do a Year Abroad (USA, Australia etc).

ReputationRep:
    If you're interested in politics don't restrict yourself to PPE. Many really good Russell Group Universities offer politics courses which wouldn't require you to do maths, i.e. Politics and Philosophy at LSE or Politics at Warwick or Durham

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.