The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lawz-
I have no problem with different opinions at all. I have a problem with people who make points that address points I have never made.

Either you havent read it or you havent understood it.

No apologies necessary.

Not at all. I could go through all the white cultures I could name and name their attributes.. but then I have better things to do. If you choose to conclude its because I cant give you some FRENCH cultural attributes - then fine .. good for you. But I think you are in denial.

No Apologies needed.

Nsme 5 things then lawz. Or 10? See, the great problem is that everyine shirks from this question, usually because they don't have many anwers. They cant come up with any examples of "white culture", because they know full well that there isn't a "white" culture, just, as YOU said earlier, there isn't a "black" culture. If we use black in that context, of course. The problem is that "black" and "white" aren't used in the same context. Black is often used to reflect the culture and skin colour, whereas white is used soloey to show skin colour. Now, show me 5 examples of solely white culture? Just 5. And they cant have influences from other cultures, ebcause that wouldn't make them solely white. Or when you say white, do you mean WESTERN? I f so, don't use examples of buildings designed by Frenchmen, Dutch or German composers...... Just 5, yeah?
Paul Bedford
Therefore assistance to people should be metered out in a similar way, based upon social circumstances, not on skin colour.

Agreed. Unfortunately there is still a strong correlation between poverty/social exclusion and belonging to an ethnic minority. However, this is getting off the point as I believe the OP was about societies at uni so I'll leave it there.
Reply 182
Phoenix_down
RELATIVELY similar in what way? This is what i want. Just give me a very clear definition of 'white culture'. One post. And no, 'the cultures of white people' will not suffice. Not exactly the kind of definition you would find in a dictionary now is it?

Look at the way whites' civilisations were built. Look at all similar architecture throughout Europe. Look at periods throughout history, such as European gothic or romantic periods, and how similar cultures were.

Probably bad examples, but I'm not studying culture - though it would be interesting. I'm just saying that there are definitely shared cultures within races.
Reply 183
cottonmouth
Nsme 5 things then lawz. Or 10? See, the great problem is that everyine shirks from this question, usually because they don't have many anwers.

Sure - to appease you - ill take one white culture - French...

Now these things can be, without other similar aspects of other white cultures, celebrated under a "White culture" heading.

The language
French films
French plays
French books
French food.

Happy?

cottonmouth
They cant come up with any examples of "white culture", because they know full well that there isn't a "white" culture, just, as YOU said earlier, there isn't a "black" culture.

I never said there was no BLACK culture - there are cultures which are black, and their aspects are part of the larger subset of black culture, just as that combined with white culture, and asian culture are part of the larger set - human culture.
Reply 184
Phoenix_down
Agreed. Unfortunately there is still a strong correlation between poverty/social exclusion and belonging to an ethnic minority. However, this is getting off the point as I believe the OP was about societies at uni so I'll leave it there.

Why is there still a lot of poor black people in the United Kingdom? Why are black males supposedly underacheiving in British schools? I know some so-and-so will blame racism, when really it is not.
Reply 185
Atomik
Probably bad examples, but I'm not studying culture - though it would be interesting. I'm just saying that there are definitely shared cultures within races.

There are probably greater cultural similarities between say, Brits, Americans, Russians, and Australians - ie the expanse of the globe - than between African Americans, Kenyans, Eritreans and Algerians.

The culture of white people is far less diverse and far more homogenous - mostly because the majority of it comes from a much smaller land mass, and there are far fewer white people.
Lawz-
I have no problem with different opinions at all. I have a problem with people who make points that address points I have never made.

Either you havent read it or you havent understood it.

No apologies necessary.

Not at all. I could go through all the white cultures I could name and name their attributes.. but then I have better things to do. If you choose to conclude its because I cant give you some FRENCH cultural attributes - then fine .. good for you. But I think you are in denial.

No Apologies needed.

My God... you're proving my point with your own words. 'White cultures', not a single 'white culture' because you can't define it. Sure there's Welsh, Irish, English, Russian, Polish, and if there were any such societies at my university I would be quite happy to see them there and I'd have no problem joining if I was interested in learning more about it. But 'White Culture' is a ridiculous notion. You can't even define it yourself. How laughable.

I think i've quite clearly understood what you've said in your posts. And btw, you don't have to explicitly state something to give others some idea of how you're thinking. Hence you might think I'm addressing points you never made, but have a look at your posts about whites being discriminated against in Trinidad and it's quite clear, you're giving the impression that there's some sort of white oppression going on, which anybody coming from Trinidad would flatly deny. You can't say you're not giving that impression because i'm already telling you that you have, though you may think you haven't. Anyway, that is another issue entirely.
Reply 187
cottonmouth
Nsme 5 things then lawz. Or 10? See, the great problem is that everyine shirks from this question, usually because they don't have many anwers. They cant come up with any examples of "white culture", because they know full well that there isn't a "white" culture, just, as YOU said earlier, there isn't a "black" culture. If we use black in that context, of course. The problem is that "black" and "white" aren't used in the same context. Black is often used to reflect the culture and skin colour, whereas white is used soloey to show skin colour. Now, show me 5 examples of solely white culture? Just 5. And they cant have influences from other cultures, ebcause that wouldn't make them solely white. Or when you say white, do you mean WESTERN? I f so, don't use examples of buildings designed by Frenchmen, Dutch or German composers...... Just 5, yeah?

Cottonmouth, you've made this an almost impossible challenge by the clever use of exclusivity.........."Now, show me 5 examples of solely white culture"

Its virtually impossible to talk about even national culture if we try to do so from this angle. We could talk about British culture for example but I can't think of a single British cultural feature that is solely and exclusively British.

Culture as it pertains nations and/or races is a tricky subject but made near nigh impossible if we try to identify exclusive traits. I think we need to stick to commonalities for the sake of sanity.
Reply 188
Phoenix_down
My God... you're proving my point with your own words. 'White cultures', not a single 'white culture' because you can't define it.

Huh? That's like saying you cant talk about History Books because they cover different topics.

Its simple sets and venn diagrams.

Phoenix_down
Sure there's Welsh, Irish, English, Russian, Polish, and if there were any such societies at my university I would be quite happy to see them there and I'd have no problem joining if I was interested in learning more about it. But 'White Culture' is a ridiculous notion. You can't even define it yourself. How laughable.

How idiotic. You are saying that not all white cultures are the same?

What? You want a cookie?

Of course they arent - that is NOT to say that there is no such thing descriptively as white culture. Dont be so lingusitically inept.

Phoenix_down
but have a look at your posts about whites being discriminated against in Trinidad and it's quite clear, you're giving the impression that there's some sort of white oppression going on, which anybody coming from Trinidad would flatly deny.

I never said or implied opression. All I ever said was that I have suffered racism there that people here would complain about.

Not to mention the fact that any trinidadian would tell you that say - going into politicis as a white man would be very hard indeed, and that being white would be a significant handicap.

Regardless - you took from my comments something that wasnt there - thats down to YOU not me.

Anyway - to be honest I couldnt care less. I have recounted my own expreiences - take from it what you will.
Lawz-
Huh? That's like saying you cant talk about History Books because they cover different topics.

Its simple sets and venn diagrams.

Err, no it isn't. It's like saying you can talk about Welsh, Irish, Russian or Polish culture, but there is no such thing as a single defined 'white culture'. Simple.

How idiotic. You are saying that not all white cultures are the same?

What? You want a cookie?

Of course they arent - that is NOT to say that there is no such thing descriptively as white culture. Dont be so lingusitically inept.

Again, here we end up talking about cultures of different countries where the majority of people are white. But you still cannot define what single 'white culture' is simply because it doesn't exist. And if it does you have thus far failed to adequately define it. Don't give me examples of what the French do. That's 'French culture' as i'm sure you know. Have a cookie yourself, I'm helping myself to some nice fudge at the moment.
Reply 190
Atomik
Hah, look what I found:

http://www.ueastudent.com/campaigns/campaignssites/liberations/black/intro

Some of their aims are stupid.

What has bhangra music got to do with black people?

What has Bollywood got to do with black people?

Blacks always bleat on about Black History Month. Why should black people get Black History Month when Jews don't get Jewish History Month, Asians don't get Asian History Month, etc.?

No doubt the only way one can enter this organisation is to be black/non-white. I bet whites cannot join.

This post is very sympotamatic of the conflicts in this topic.

You have both misrepresented and misinterpreted the society. It is not a society there to celebrate being 'black' as such, it's there to represent cultures of certain natures, which as the website says, are underrepresented in the Union. This highlights two points, 1. That it's celebrating a culture, not a race, and 2. A 'White' society would be unnecassary because they don't need representation: they compose the majority of the student body!

If you bother to look around the list of societies at any Universities you will find many societies representing cultures of which the predominant race is white. Because black people compose such a relatively small number of the student body, it is reasonable to group the celebration of those culturesunder one banner. Furthermore people are ignoring the link between a sense of black identity with culture as brought on by historic oppression as I have noted several times without response.

Instead people jump at the chance to offer immature and borderline racist comments like this with an attempt to highlight a double standard in the system.
Reply 191
Phoenix_down
Err, no it isn't. It's like saying you can talk about Welsh, Irish, Russian or Polish culture, but there is no such thing as a single defined 'white culture'. Simple.

This is such a simple concept to get.

There are Books on WW1, WW2, The Crimean, The peleponesian war, The War of the Roses, Churchill, The civil rights movement... etc etc etc...

They all deal with very different topics, and are thus, very much on separate events and in seperate groupings. However, they all deal with history - they have a common factor and thus, mathmatically can be expressed as a set: History books.

There is French white culture, Norwegian white culture, German white culture, Danish White culture etc etc etc...

They all have differnt attirbutes, but they all deal with cultures that were white. They have a common factor and thus, mathmatically can be expressed as a set: White Cultures.

Its really very very easy to understand.
Reply 192
Laika
it's there to represent cultures of certain natures

You mean it brings together separate cultures under the banner of "black". How very interesting indeed.

I thought this was impossible?
Howard
Cottonmouth, you've made this an almost impossible challenge by the clever use of exclusivity.........."Now, show me 5 examples of solely white culture"

Its virtually impossible to talk about even national culture if we try to do so from this angle. We could talk about British culture for example but I can't think of a single British cultural feature that is solely and exclusively British.

Culture as it pertains nations and/or races is a tricky subject but made near nigh impossible if we try to identify exclusive traits. I think we need to stick to commonalities for the sake of sanity.

Precisely Howard! It's impossible because there isn't a "white" culture is there? French culture is French, not "white" And it is different to British culture, even though the predominant colour of skin in both places is white.

The point we are trying to make is that a "white" society, for people with white skin at university is pathetic, given that there isn't a "white" culture, only french culture, or British culture, etc. And we have no problem with a society for British culture at a university. But some people on here are saying there should be "white societies" at university! What the hell would they do? Compare skin shades? Look at blank sheets of A4 paper?
Reply 194
cottonmouth
Precisely Howard! It's impossible because there isn't a "white" culture is there? French culture is French, not "white" And it is different to British culture, even though the predominant colour of skin in both places is white.

The point we are trying to make is that a "white" society, for people with white skin at university is pathetic, given that there isn't a "white" culture, only french culture, or British culture, etc. And we have no problem with a society for British culture at a university. But some people on here are saying there should be "white societies" at university! What the hell would they do? Compare skin shades? Look at blank sheets of A4 paper?

Well, even French culture isn't exclusively French. They drink French wine and eat croissants and escargos, smoke Gitanes etc, but there again so do I.

Hence the need to examine commonality - perhaps that's where Lawz' venn diagrams come in.

I don't know - I've purposely avoided this thread (apart from to remind everyone how popular I am) because its not really my thing - too complicated.
Lawz-

There are Books on WW1, WW2, The Crimean, The peleponesian war, The War of the Roses, Churchill, The civil rights movement... etc etc etc...

They all deal with very different topics, and are thus, very much on separate events and in seperate groupings. However, they all deal with history - they have a common factor and thus, mathmatically can be expressed as a set: History books.

There is French white culture, Norwegian white culture, German white culture, Danish White culture etc etc etc...

They all have differnt attirbutes, but they all deal with cultures that were white. They have a common factor and thus, mathmatically can be expressed as a set: White Cultures.

Oh, okay. So lets set up a white society at university which celebrates french, norwegian, german and dansih cultures and traditions! Or we could separate them, becuase of ho vastly different they are, in comparison to the huge similarities between those of "black culture"- particularly westernised blacks. Africans and Jamaicans here act similarly as a group identity. they like the same music. They talk in a vastly similar manner- Africans have even adopted the jamaican creole-type style accent. Westernised black people are way more similar than the french in comparison the the british in comparison to the german, etc etc.
Lawz-

ohhhh here we go again. I feel like I've just been telling you the same thing over and over again with no breakthrough. So we both acknowledge that there are countries where the majority of the population is white, and we can talk about different attributes of the cultures in those countries. But what is single 'white culture'?? You still haven't explained it. Because you can't. THAT is very very easy to understand.
cottonmouth

OMG FINALLY someone who sees the light (no pun intended!) :biggrin:
The argument for a 'White Society' at university is pointless and quite frankly, laughable, especially as we can't seem to even define what 'white culture' is.
Reply 198
Phoenix_down
ohhhh here we go again. I feel like I've just been telling you the same thing over and over again with no breakthrough. So we both acknowledge that there are countries where the majority of the population is white, and we can talk about different attributes of the cultures in those countries. But what is single 'white culture'?? You still haven't explained it. Because you can't. THAT is very very easy to understand.

When did I say there was a SINGLE white culture? Please point me to it?

Look Ive made you a nice diagram ... here:
I have neither the time nor patience to read all of the pages of this. However, it must be said that the MINORITIES are far better placed to have societies than the MAJORITIES who have an assumed control.

Latest

Trending

Trending