Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Sony mp3 players - whats so bad about the software watch

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody who has a sony mp3 player please tell me whay is so bad about the sonicstage software? I'm seeing mixed reviews on it. Some say its fine, while others are saying its a nightmare. Which is it?

BTW, I'm considering the HD3 or HD5. I don't want a zen, ipod, iriver or anything else as I simply want a smallish mp3 player with no silly gimmicks.

ReputationRep:
    it's ok, it looks very nice, but it's a bit clunky, everything moves in swishy animations which annoys some people.

It used to be alot worse, when I got my first netMD player it would crash every 5 minutes, seriously, I could only transfer about 10 songs before I had to disconnect it and start again.

nowadays though, as long as you're gentle with it and let it do what it's trying to do before clicking other stuff it should be fine. Don't try to import too much at once, it just confuses it, and artist at a time is quite good, then you can correct the tags as you go too.

it has an odd way of deciding what albums songs belong in, and if you plan on ripping cds with it remember to change the settings to encode to mp3 not atrac or whatever sony uses these days.

Basically, it's just not as good as itunes, but alot of people hate that too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KidA)
    it has an odd way of deciding what albums songs belong in, and if you plan on ripping cds with it remember to change the settings to encode to mp3 not atrac or whatever sony uses these days.
    I know a lot of people hate ATRAC, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. It can be an inconvienence to rip your CD's again, but you get a smaller files, and the all important gapless playback.

The newest versions of Sonicstage are good, however their newest software is still pretty bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axiom)
    I know a lot of people hate ATRAC, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. It can be an inconvienence to rip your CD's again, but you get a smaller files, and the all important gapless playback.

The newest versions of Sonicstage are good, however their newest software is still pretty bad.
    I thnk atrac is ok, but when you want to give some music to your frinds it's not too helpful.

ReputationRep:
    The only problem I've found with Connect is that it seems to crash every third CD...

ReputationRep:
    Mine refused to install the first time round, i was due for a reformat anyway so it was fine after that.

Pretty awful once it has installed as well. As people have said, if you try and do too much it crashes. Also, if you are transferring more than a couple of hundred of tracks you can guarantee it will takes ages and probably crash

Whenever you plug the mp3 player into the computer the software goes through every single file on it before you can actually do anything.

Also, every now and again it finishes exporting, and my MP3 player says database not found, or something along those lines.

Its a shame really, i have always thought of sony highly (and still do in some respects) but they have really let me down on this. Even the buidl quality of the thing itself doesnt seem to be up to scratch.

Also, on that note it takes ages to navigate the menu's, loads of sometimes up to 10 seconds, whereas ipods seem to be virtually instant.

ReputationRep:
    I've decided against getting a Sony now after doing some research. I won't need really 20GB either unless I use it as a mass storage device as well, which wouldn't be often. I'd also prefer a flash memory player over HDD - less moving parts, more reliability. I think I'll take the plunge on a Samsung YP-Z5 4GB unless I can find a Nano 4GB for cheap (yes I know getting a nano would go against my original post ).

ReputationRep:
    Great battery life, might be able to live with the software. But couldn't live with the navigation button

ReputationRep:
    the latest sonicstage (3.4... I Think) is actually pretty decent doesn't crash. The only problem is with the copyright protection but thats pretty much it. Just don't overload it. Connect is a whole different story. Absolute pile of ****e. Don't touch with a barge pole. Its not worth it just so you can listen to music from a random year. BTW the artist link is awful. Sony aint that bad just use sonic stage.

ReputationRep:
    it took a while getting used to, now its cool.

im not the administrator and it wont let me transfer songs when im not logged on as one.

does anyone know how to add to those 5 pre-existing empty playlists, havent worked that one out yet.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 23, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.