The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey :smile:

Firstly- Seriously, go & see your Doctor asap! It is unlikely to be cancerous at your age, more like a fibroid adinoma (sp?) or a cyst but you need to get them checked out.

I went through the same thing when I was about 15/16. I found quite a large lump in my right breast & I was too scared to say anything. I didn't want to worry my mum because she had breast cancer a few years before & had cysts. To begin with, I tricked myself into believing it was nothing. Eventually I had to courage to tell my mum & she was really worried. My best friends sister (who was also my age) had also found a lump, so it was more common than I thought. I went to the doctors & he refered me to the hospital. I went & the doctor was lovely. Firstly she examined me & then I had a scan- I didn't need a biopsy. Turns out it was a fibrioid adinoma (a benign lump). I was told the only reason to have it removed was if it grew & really hurt. That was 4 years ago (almost!!) & it hasn't grown yet *touch wood*.

So seriously, go & get it checked out. :smile:
This poor girl is probably gonna be terrified now with all this talk of needles and cysts etc....well done everyone!
Reply 42
beach_surf_babe
This poor girl is probably gonna be terrified now with all this talk of needles and cysts etc....well done everyone!

Cysts are totally harmless 99% of the time.

Personally, as the OP was worried enough to start a thread, I'm just very happy that she's going to do the sensible thing and seek GP advice, rather than worrying herself stupid and unneccessarily that she might have breast cancer, or even worse, ignoring it and then finding out that she does have it, and it's too late.

Personally, I think that if she does seek medical advice, then this thread is one of the most positive indications of an important role for hte H&R forum.

Unless you would rather we all said 'oh! It will be nothing, ignore it' :rolleyes:
Reply 43
Anonymous
I realised that my left breast has got one or two small lumps last year(and the year before). Recently (these few days) i can feel slight pain when i was checking the lumps. I even feel that when i was trying to wear my bra or when i have contact with it.

I wonder if that's just somekinda common problem that most girls have or I've got BREAST CANCER? (my family has no history of Breast cancer)I'm 19 and i thought that slight pain might because of my breast still growing. I know i should visit GP but i thought i might share this in TSR as some ppl might experience this.

Any advise GIRLS?:frown:

Lumps are quite common in breasts and only about 1 in 9 lumps are breast cancer but still Id get it checked out. I have a lump Ive had it for years I had the needle thing done where they check the cells and they said it was benign.
If I were you Id get it checked out as soon as you can at least to put your mind at rest. Don't ignore it!
No, but I think people may have been giving worst case scenarios when all that needs to be said is to see the doctor. We can't tell exactly what it is (or even know!) so I think its silly to guess what it could be.
Reply 45
Fluffy
Cysts are totally harmless 99% of the time.

Personally, as the OP was worried enough to start a thread, I'm just very happy that she's going to do the sensible thing and seek GP advice, rather than worrying herself stupid and unneccessarily that she might have breast cancer, or even worse, ignoring it and then finding out that she does have it, and it's too late.

Personally, I think that if she does seek medical advice, then this thread is one of the most positive indications of an important role for hte H&R forum.

Unless you would rather we all said 'oh! It will be nothing, ignore it' :rolleyes:

Yea it would be stupid if everyone said ignore it, what are the chances of a benign lump turning to cancer do you know? Ive had a lump since I was 16, had it checked out but now im 20 and still have it:confused:
Ive also had one in my neck for 2 years the doctor gave me antibiotics thinking it was an infection but its still here and moves round quite a bit. :redface:
Reply 46
beach_surf_babe
No, but I think people may have been giving worst case scenarios when all that needs to be said is to see the doctor. We can't tell exactly what it is (or even know!) so I think its silly to guess what it could be.

Go see a doctor as a stand alone often has no effect at all.

I don't think anyone has tried to diagnose the OP, and if painting a worse case senario is what it takes for the potential seriousness to hit home enough for someone to actually go to their GP, then great. At worse, it's probably nothing more than the thoughts going through the OPs head, and not voicing them might have the effect of making the OP think they're being paranoid, making them seeking medical advice even less likely.

I'm sure my sister-in-law, and Jackie's 17 year old friend would have coped better if people had been more open than saying 'I'm sure it's nothing'. I can't even begin to tell you how harrowing it is to watch someone who is only 6 months older than you go through mastectomy and breast cancer treatment.
Reply 47
goodLife
Yea it would be stupid if everyone said ignore it, what are the chances of a benign lump turning to cancer do you know? Ive had a lump since I was 16, had it checked out but now im 20 and still have it:confused:
Ive also had one in my neck for 2 years the doctor gave me antibiotics thinking it was an infection but its still here and moves round quite a bit. :redface:

The best person to speak to is your GP. However, if it hasn't changed at all in 4 years, it's more than likely a fibroadenoma (benign).
Reply 48
beach_surf_babe

Sometimes people need to be scared before they will go and see a doctor lol or else they won't bother, its for her own good really as it could be what everyone fears.
Reply 49
Fluffy
Go see a doctor as a stand alone often has no effect at all.

I don't think anyone has tried to diagnose the OP, and if painting a worse case senario is what it takes for the potential seriousness to hit home enough for someone to actually go to their GP, then great. At worse, it's probably nothing more than the thoughts going through the OPs head, and not voicing them might have the effect of making the OP think they're being paranoid, making them seeking medical advice even less likely.

I'm sure my sister-in-law, and Jackie's 17 year old friend would have coped better if people had been more open than saying 'I'm sure it's nothing'. I can't even begin to tell you how harrowing it is to watch someone who is only 6 months older than you go through mastectomy and breast cancer treatment.
agreed fluffy - sometimes it takes hearing abou the worst case scenario to do something about it. If it was a case of just saying "Go to the doctor" ten the OP probably wouldn't have started this thread as she'd already highlighted the fact that she knew she needed to go
Reply 50
Is it not possible to scare someone too much though? As in they won't even go to the doctor in fear of hearing the worse.
Reply 51
Riddy
Is it not possible to scare someone too much though? As in they won't even go to the doctor in fear of hearing the worse.

Of course it is, it's usually accompanied by total denial. But I've not seen anyone tell the OP that she has incurable cancer... And the OP clearly is not in denial, alse they wouldn't have posted.
Its probably more likely to be cysts as has been said breast cancer in women under 20 is generally rare (except in cases with a strong fmaily history-which you say you don't have anyway). The best thing to do is go to the doctor. They will check and tell you if anything is wrong. I once had a friend who went through similar, but a trip to the docs put her mind at rest. If on teh very unlikely chance it is cancerous, the success rate for curing it at an early stage is fairly high as its meant to one of the easier cancers to treat. Get yourself checked out and hope your ok :smile:
Reply 53
xXMessedUpXx
Its probably more likely to be cysts as has been said breast cancer in women under 20 is generally rare (except in cases with a strong fmaily history-which you say you don't have anyway). The best thing to do is go to the doctor. They will check and tell you if anything is wrong. I once had a friend who went through similar, but a trip to the docs put her mind at rest. If on teh very unlikely chance it is cancerous, the success rate for curing it at an early stage is fairly high as its meant to one of the easier cancers to treat. Get yourself checked out and hope your ok :smile:

OP - if you're reading this, how did you get on?

Hope everything was OK.

Latest

Trending

Trending