Turn on thread page Beta

I have already done German and got an A, but couldn't do it at AS because my college didnt offer it so now I want to do another language GCSE whilst doing A2's then do an A Level in it alongside my degree, then some sort of higher qualification than an A Level but not a degree if that is possible.

Anyway when I started the German GCSE I had already done basic German in yr7-9 so would it be advisory to learn the basics of the next language I want to do? Which I would be able to do over the summer then start the GCSE in September?

ReputationRep:
    How much do I have to squint to read that post!

ReputationRep:
    If you're starting a new language, my advice would be to check whether an 'ab initio' course in available in the language you choose. This would mean that they'd teach you the language from the foundation upwards, and you would have little need to 'self-teach' any of the material before you begin the course. If this type of course is not an option at your particular place of study, then I'd definitely recommend buying a good study guide (Letts are very good) and learning the basics. To be honest, a lot of the course material from one MFL to another is similar; the school usually uses the same exam board for all languages. So basically try and learn everything you know in German in your new chosen language.

Hope this helps,

Good luck!

Thanks, I will look into the Letts study guides as no where around here does ab initio courses in ANY language!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstinx)
    Thanks, I will look into the Letts study guides as no where around here does ab initio courses in ANY language!

Aww that sucks...Well, if you end up picking French then let me know because i'm very good at it and can provide you with any necessary help!! If not, then good luck and I hope the Letts study guides serve you as well as they have done me so far... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It depends whether the GCSE course starts right from the basics or not. I'm doing GCSE Spanish this year alongside A2s and my course covers everything I need to know, from 'hola' right up to the A* material, so it didn't matter that I'd never studied the language before. Find out what sort of level the course starts from, and if you do need to know the KS3 level material first, try to pick up a basic teach yourself book.

ReputationRep:
    Bear in mind that quite a lot of schools do a "fast-track" language GCSE as well, where you only start the language from Year 9, or Year 10. So you probably won't be at a huge disadvantage. When you say you want to start another language from scratch, does this mean you'd be taking it at your school? If not, you might be able to do German A level at evening classes or another school. Just a thought.

Another thing - you could continue German at university even if you didn't take the A level. My sisters did GCSE Spanish, didn't do the A level, then went into the intermediate classes at uni and are now both quite good at it.

In terms of which language, it's entirely your choice, but I'll be partial to Spanish because it's apparently the 'easiest' langauge. Though it's not really related to German, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excalibur)
    Bear in mind that quite a lot of schools do a "fast-track" language GCSE as well, where you only start the language from Year 9, or Year 10. So you probably won't be at a huge disadvantage. When you say you want to start another language from scratch, does this mean you'd be taking it at your school? If not, you might be able to do German A level at evening classes or another school. Just a thought.

Another thing - you could continue German at university even if you didn't take the A level. My sisters did GCSE Spanish, didn't do the A level, then went into the intermediate classes at uni and are now both quite good at it.

In terms of which language, it's entirely your choice, but I'll be partial to Spanish because it's apparently the 'easiest' langauge. Though it's not really related to German, unfortunately.
    Tis what our school does for GCSE Spanish

I was going to continue German at university as the two universities have a language course to go alongside your degree I just want to learn another language as well.

Theres no evening classes anywhere around here that do any language classes at any level.

ReputationRep:
    Are you gonna do it by Distance Learning then?

Yes

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    Prepare to be broke, it's very expensive! :p: My course is excellent though, it seems to include everything I'll need to know for the exams and lots of exam-style questions to practice. It's www.olci.info if you're interested.

ReputationRep:
    You will be okay because you have german under your belt and any languages you learn from now on will just get easier to pick up.

I would say start trying to read and listen to basic things on revision websites or whatever.

(Original post by kellywood_5)
    Prepare to be broke, it's very expensive! :p: My course is excellent though, it seems to include everything I'll need to know for the exams and lots of exam-style questions to practice. It's www.olci.info if you're interested.
    Thanks, I'll check the course out. I have already bought a distance learning business studies which my bf paid for so I will see if he will pay for this

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I'll check the course out. I have already bought a distance learning business studies which my bf paid for so I will see if he will pay for this
    Lol that's the kind of boyfriend you want! :p:

ReputationRep:
    take a language that is similar to German.. Like it is easier to learn Spanish, Itilain if you have french

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma_310)
    take a language that is similar to German.. Like it is easier to learn Spanish, Itilain if you have french
    tbh I don't think there are any Germanic languages offered at GCSE.... it's usually French, Spanish, and more rarely, Italian, Chinese, Japanese etc. Spanish is not that hard to pick up though in any case

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.