7.Bloc Party
8.The Mars Volta
9.The Strokes
10.Animal Collective

Very nice.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 61
Original post by YMLT
All right, using a knife and fork, then.

It's not really relevant, they're still rubbish.

Haters gonna hate right?
Reply 62
Original post by benpearson1
Skrillex was actually on someone's list on here.

Regarding the rest of your post, while I think you have some excellent tastes, I can't say I agree with much; though I do agree that the Vaccines are totally bland and boring. They really pander to the indie crowd, NME etc.

AM are good and AF are alright, but other than that, I don't think very much of the other bands you listed. I especially dislike The Libertines - they are horribly overrated.

This is why I stopped reading the NME a few months ago, it's absolute tosh. I realised they haven't actually mentioned Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd anywhere in their magazine or on their 'best of' lists, yet they entertain the Gallagher brothers at every opinion and aren't as on the ball with new bands as their readers believe. They're also obsessed with trying to find a Britpop revival that they let a lot of other non-British non-bland non-guitar bands go unnoticed. I just had a quick look on the website now and a band called 'Palma Violets' seems to be 'the best new thing since ever!" right now. Let's see where they are in sixth months :rolleyes: Sorry for the rant I just despise the NME and the unprofessional way the journalists conduct themselves in.

Spoiler because these reccomendations will take up too much of the page (probably) otherwise:

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by g_star_raw_1989
I love Tame Impala! There was a decent interview with Kevin Parker in The Guardian today.

Yeah I saw :smile: He seems like a really interesting and creative person. Lonerism has got all 8/9/10 reviews so far, I haven't listened to the online leak (apart from Elephant and Apocalypse Dreams) but it seems it's going to be one of the albums of the year. Can't wait to buy it on Monday.
Reply 64
Original post by mynameisntbobk
3OH!3
Coldplay
Maroon 5
Kings Of Leon
The Vaccines
Snow Patrol
Breathe Carolina
The Midnight Beast
Mumford and Sons

I'll just edit this if I think of any more

:eyeball:
Original post by glousck

Spoiler because these reccomendations will take up too much of the page (probably) otherwise:

Spoiler

I love Portishead and Dummy! :tongue: Didn't you see them in my list? :O

Not really interested in Prodigy or Daft Punk, so perhaps my comment was a little too offhandish regarding them.

Never really liked MGMT, either, and this is coming from someone who really likes late 1960s (in particular) psychedelia :tongue:

I've not listened to Interpol much, though I'm fairly sure they had one song I hated, hence why I probably didn't listen to them more (my own fault). Heard they're good, might check them out.

However, I will never, ever retract my views on The Libertines. A lot of their stuff is just generic guitar music, not much real substance. I also vehemently dislike Doherty. It especially gets me when people call him a 'poet' :rant:

As for KoL, maybe you're right. There's plenty of psychobilly blues (etc) out there to keep me satisfied so I don't need to listen to the rest of their bull****.

Sorry for doing this in reverse :tongue:
Reply 66
Finding 10 consistently excellent 21st century bands who have made at least two good albums (and fewer than two sub-par albums) this century is surprisingly difficult.

1. Opeth, by a country mile.
2. Dream Theater
3. Transatlantic
4. Epica
5. Threshold
6. Shadow Gallery
7. Circus Maximus
8. Haken
9. Karnivool
10. Tool
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by glousck
:eyeball:

Yupp, is there a problem with me liking them?
Reply 68
Yupp, is there a problem with me liking them?

No problem atall, everyone has their own musical opinions. Well, also the fact they're a group not a band but nvm. I was just surprised to see that some-one named a comedy music group as one of the best ten things to have happened to music in 12 and a bit years.
Reply 69
Original post by glousck
No problem atall, everyone has their own musical opinions. Well, also the fact they're a group not a band but nvm. I was just surprised to see that some-one named a comedy music group as one of the best ten things to have happened to music in 12 and a bit years.

Well, to be fair, listening to a cat being put through a mangler is better than most things that have happened to music in 12 and a bit years.
Original post by glousck

I take it you didn't notice 3OH!3 either since they're a group aswell. And I'm not the typical die hard rock music fan, I don't even like rock if I'm honest. tbh, music has died lately, so I prefer to laugh and listen instead of listen to generic music which has no purpose to serve whatsoever. I also like the lonely island, and they're pretty damn funny.
Original post by glousck
Yeah I saw :smile: He seems like a really interesting and creative person. Lonerism has got all 8/9/10 reviews so far, I haven't listened to the online leak (apart from Elephant and Apocalypse Dreams) but it seems it's going to be one of the albums of the year. Can't wait to buy it on Monday.

I'm really looking forward to listening to the album on Monday and also jealous that you're seeing them live!

Have you heard any of Oddience? Bit more on the hip hop side of psychedelia but worth a listen. Smile and Lit Lava Lamp are decent tracks.
Reply 72
I take it you didn't notice 3OH!3 either since they're a group aswell. And I'm not the typical die hard rock music fan, I don't even like rock if I'm honest. tbh, music has died lately, so I prefer to laugh and listen instead of listen to generic music which has no purpose to serve whatsoever. I also like the lonely island, and they're pretty damn funny.

That seems like a fair reason. :smile: I've never listened to 3OH!3 so I didn't know if they were a group or a band.

Original post by g_star_raw_1989
I'm really looking forward to listening to the album on Monday and also jealous that you're seeing them live!

Have you heard any of Oddience? Bit more on the hip hop side of psychedelia but worth a listen. Smile and Lit Lava Lamp are decent tracks.

They still have tickets available for their shows in England & Glasgow I think!
I haven't, no, and hip-hop psychedelia sounds interesting :lol: I'll make a note of them and listen to them tomorrow.
Reply 73
Original post by mc1000
Well, to be fair, listening to a cat being put through a mangler is better than most things that have happened to music in 12 and a bit years.

Don't really get why people say this tbh. Sure, you'll never beat the 60's & 70's, but there are still come bloomin' good bands emerging. You just have to look for it, rather than go 'oh, it's just rubbish chart music that if popular now, music is dead.'

Original post by glousck
They still have tickets available for their shows in England & Glasgow I think!
I haven't, no, and hip-hop psychedelia sounds interesting :lol: I'll make a note of them and listen to them tomorrow.

I'll have a look into into tickets really would love to see them live, thanks :smile:

Yeas lol, it is a bit 'different' but worth a listen.
Reply 75
Original post by benpearson1
I

As for KoL, maybe you're right. There's plenty of psychobilly blues (etc) out there to keep me satisfied so I don't need to listen to the rest of their bull****.

Kings Of Leon were probably the best at doing country/blues/southern/whatever rock when they were at the their prime. First three albums were fantastic, Because Of The Times was one of the tops albums of the last decade. Then 2008 hit, they released Sex On Fire, it became popular because it had the word 'sex' in it & they completely sold out. It's a shame.

Listen to their stuff up to 2008, then pretend they broke up & aren't coming back.

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 76
My favourites (will be very generic):

1. The Mars Volta
2. Jimmy Eat World (based on Bleed American mostly)
3. Fleet Foxes
4. We Are Scientists
5. Royksopp
6. Biffy Clyro (mostly on Puzzle)
7. Bon Iver
8. The Naked and Famous
9. Blink 182 (due to Take Off Your Pants and Jacket being 01)
10. The Killers (only listened to their first two albums)
Reply 77
In no particular order:

Dream Theater
Machine Head
System of a Down
Opeth
Tool
Stratovarius
Sonata Artica
Lamb of God
Arch Enemy

and my final pick, Iron Maiden, have been one of the ten best bands spanning over three decades (though their best stuff was in the eighties.)
Original post by adsm_inamorta
Do you even know half the bands on that list?

Do you even lift?
Linkin Park
My Chemical Romance
Green Day
Maroon 5

Latest