Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm just wondering how hard was LSE to get into for L101 a few years ago compared to today (up to about 10 years ago and less).

Citigroup Trader suggested it's harder to get into today in this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=212948

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    well my economics teacher got in for L101 with ABC (economics, maths and history), which was for 94 entry i think. I do think it was easier to get in back then (even though the exams were probably harder) but LSE's reputaiton then wasnt as good as it is now, and i dont think it was even part of UoL.

ReputationRep:
    It's obviously harder to get into LSE today because of several reasons:-

1) Grade inflation; more people achieving perfect (or at least improved) scores
    2) Better reputation of the university -> attracts more applicants especially intl ones
    3) Increased global average affluency -> more people can afford tertiary education

etc.

ReputationRep:
    i got in in 2002, have now graduated, and it was very tough...i think something like 10 applicants per place? the most competitive course at lse i think anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mademoiselle84)
    i got in in 2002, have now graduated, and it was very tough...i think something like 10 applicants per place? the most competitive course at lse i think anyway.
    It now stands at ~15 applicants/place, alongside other courses like Govt&Econs (which is less popular but still maintians a similar applicantlace ratio, i.e.competitiveness)

(edit: fixed spelling error)

More people plan to go to university in the UK (domestic and from abroad).
    Economics has become significantly more popular.
    League tables started to be produced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mademoiselle84)

I think I may have read before you got into UCL L100 as well.

What were your offers for the 2 courses and what made you choose?

Cheers

John

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    It now stands at ~15 applicants/place, alongside other courses like Govt&Econs (which is less popular but still maintians a similar applicantlace ratio, i.e.competitiveness)

(edit: fixed spelling error)
    we were told on the open day that Law (M100) also has 15 applicants per place! I was like :eek: Didn't know it was that competitive, even oxbridge have a lower applicantlace ratio!

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was more than that for law...

ReputationRep:
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/under...s/Law/M100.htm

Applicantlace ratio = 13.5:1

Oxbridge has a lower applicantlace ratio, but only the absolutely brightest apply there. They play an entirely different ball game, so it'd be wrong to assume that Oxbridge is easier to get into vis-a-vis LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/under...s/Law/M100.htm

Applicantlace ratio = 13.5:1

Oxbridge has a lower applicantlace ratio, but only the absolutely brightest apply there. They play an entirely different ball game, so it'd be wrong to assume that Oxbridge is easier to get into vis-a-vis LSE.
    of course... and only idiots apply to lse right?
    dude, bright and stupid apply to oxbridge too. If they have a lower ratio it's because they also offer less attractive courses (ie languages, classics...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octavius85)
    dude, bright and stupid apply to oxbridge too. If they have a lower ratio it's because they also offer less attractive courses (ie languages, classics...)
    Are you kidding me?

Just about anyone can apply to LSE by putting down the course code on their UCAS application form - that's all. Whereas for Oxford, the process is a lot more tedious - submitting of written work, written test(s), interviews, etc.

There are practically 0 barriers to applying to LSE, unlike Oxbridge.

And Oxbridge offer *extremely* attractive and competitive courses - an entire panoply of them. From Classical Archeology & Ancient History to Theology to PPE to Chemistry to Engineering, Economics & Management. Name it, and they probably have it.

I'm going to LSE and there's no reason for me to be bias against it. I'm stating fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octavius85)
    that's kinda sarcastic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deathscythe HG)
    that's kinda sarcastic.
    Obviously he was being cynical.. not forgetting to mention:- putting words in my mouth. The brightest *ALSO* apply to LSE. But so do the not-so-bright-ones. This skews the stats.

ReputationRep:
    thats a fair argument.. but to be fair you have nothing to support your claim.. we'll just have to agree that oxbridge offer a more prestigious law course... and inevitably the better students will end up there... but they will almost all apply for both LSE and oxford...

ReputationRep:
    Agree. Given the option between Oxford and LSE, I'd pick Ox.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deathscythe HG)
    Agree. Given the option between Oxford and LSE, I'd pick Ox.
    You'd find that most people will, yes.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, using the very last info (LSE 2007 Undergraduate Prospectus, figures based on 2005), A&F has approximately a whopping 16.36 applicants per place

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge is often has lower ratios because people think it's harder to get in there than other top 10 unis, so they dont apply which just means more applications to top ten.

Some people put top 10 unis on the off chance of an offer, after all they put down up to 6.

LSE is smaller too and is obliged to take loads of foreign students.

You're more likely to take up an Oxbridge offer than an LSE offer if your other 5 choice are good unis. Which is why Oxbridge makes about the same offers as places whereas other unis make 3 offers per place, knowing people will go elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johan C)
    Hehe, using the very last info (LSE 2007 Undergraduate Prospectus, figures based on 2005), A&F has approximately a whopping 16.36 applicants per place
    umm...sorry the word "whopping" has been used to the extreme... refer to BA in Geography a "whopping" 21.88 applications per place (using 2005 figures) ...but seriously who would imagine:confused:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 20, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.