Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Converting a conventional headunit to DAB radio? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I have a pioneer head-unit (I cant remember the model number off by heart), but on the pack it says "Sat-ready". I presume this means I can convert it to a DAB radio?
    Anyways, coming to the point... Has anyone converted their Car stereos/Head units to DAB before and if you have, how did you go about it + how much does it cost?

Thanks
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    *watches closely*

I want a DAB radio in my car...couldn't find anything about it when I last looked

ReputationRep:
    I also wanted DAB in my car, so after a bit of research had one of these fitted Revo.

It's a top quality product, but unfortunately my area's DAB reception is too poor for mobile DAB, it's fine if you're stationary. Can't wait until they get the new transmitter up. So if you live near a DAB transmitter then this will be perfect!

ReputationRep:
    Would "Sat ready" not be referring to sat nav? Just a thought..

ReputationRep:
    I have a Pioneer stereo (DEH-P70BT I think) and it has DAB Ready on the front of it.

Usually it's achieved by the addition of the Pioneer DAB unit - it's like a metal box with wires coming out of it. You'll also need a DAB aerial (either a tax disc holder/glass mount patch or a roof mounted one) and it (I assume) plugs into the IPbus connector on the back of the stereo and will probably also want a positive/neutral power feed.

Don't know whether you can connect these DAB boxes to any Pioneer stereo with an IPbus or whether just certain ones. The box is quite a size IIRC so you might need to have your glovebox out to mount it behind? The IPbus can daisy-chain, so if you've already got other stuff (like the iPod adapter or an OEM display adapter - then it just plugs into the end of the chain).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    Would "Sat ready" not be referring to sat nav? Just a thought..
    Sat Nav on a car radio? :s: Don't think so..

It's referring to sattelite radio, the thing is from Austria, maybe that's what they call it there might need to change it anyways

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingspharm)
    I have a Pioneer stereo (DEH-P70BT I think) and it has DAB Ready on the front of it.

Usually it's achieved by the addition of the Pioneer DAB unit - it's like a metal box with wires coming out of it. You'll also need a DAB aerial (either a tax disc holder/glass mount patch or a roof mounted one) and it (I assume) plugs into the IPbus connector on the back of the stereo and will probably also want a positive/neutral power feed.

Don't know whether you can connect these DAB boxes to any Pioneer stereo with an IPbus or whether just certain ones. The box is quite a size IIRC so you might need to have your glovebox out to mount it behind? The IPbus can daisy-chain, so if you've already got other stuff (like the iPod adapter or an OEM display adapter - then it just plugs into the end of the chain).
    Thank you I might need to look into that, probably take it to Halfords or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smellysocks)
    I also wanted DAB in my car, so after a bit of research had one of these fitted Revo.

It's a top quality product, but unfortunately my area's DAB reception is too poor for mobile DAB, it's fine if you're stationary. Can't wait until they get the new transmitter up. So if you live near a DAB transmitter then this will be perfect!
    That looks good, I haven't managed to read the website yet but I will ASAP thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dimexi)
    Sat Nav on a car radio? :s: Don't think so..

It's referring to sattelite radio, the thing is from Austria, maybe that's what they call it there might need to change it anyways
    I was just thinking it might be an input for sat nav voice instructions, merged into the radio. Digital radio is a terrestialy transmitted system in the UK, not sattelite.

ReputationRep:
    dunno if this is what you are loooking for but argos sell a FM to DAB coverter

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/5004159.htm

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 13, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.