Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I did apply to do an MSci in NATSCI when I applied for tut university. I still wish to do this, well, as much as I want to do anything else...

However, im a little concerned for the upcoming exams, especially physics where I could fail possibly... and want to know that even if I do get my 40%, are there special conditions to be able to continue on and do the masters??? LIke do I have to get a higher grade or something this year??

I just became paranoid of this possibility, because 1. my friend from another uni seems to have been told this is the case for her and 2. We werent told anything similar. Then again, we werent told the day of our collections till 2 days before. 3. I have no faith in the organisation of Durham university.

Holla back, yall.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a social scientist but my housemates are all scientists. From what I gather if you're already on the MSc or whatever then to make sure you don't get dropped down to BSc you have to get at least 50% average each year.
    So I guess if you wanted to switch from BSc to MSc you'd have to have an average above 50%?

ReputationRep:
    In science apart from engineeering you need 40% to pregress regardless of what you want to do after, it's only in the 2nd year you need to get 50% if you wish to continue to a masters also if you don't get 40% in all your modules you can retake some in the summer (this isnt uncommon) and then they let you carry on

ReputationRep:
    This is the system as i understand it (though i may be wrong):

You need 40% average every year, if you get less than 50% in any year you may be advised to change to the 3 year but they can't force you since you passed.

I think you can only resit one module, if you fail one you will be made to resit and if you fail the resit be forced onto the 3-year and if you pass will be allowed to stay on the 4-year.

If you fail 2 you can resit one and stay on the 3-year if you pass the resit, otherwise you are out for good

Fail more than 2 and your gone. no resits.

I may be wrong on this and it may even differ from different departments. Good luck anyway

ReputationRep:
    yeah most of that is wrong, you can retake as many exams as you need in the first year but can only retake them if you get under 40% first time, if you fail 2nd time you still are not kicked out, it's just suggested that you move to a non masters course. In NATSCI you need 50% in all your modules in the 2nd year and after to to do a fourth year

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i think that might only apply to physics in the 2nd year and beyond now i think about it. I definately remember that you can take as many resits as you like in the first year now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Itchynscratchy)
    Yeah i think that might only apply to physics in the 2nd year and beyond now i think about it. I definately remember that you can take as many resits as you like in the first year now
    yeah resits do change after the first year in all subjects, but of what I previously said applys physics students

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra)
    yeah resits do change after the first year in all subjects, but of what I previously said applys physics students
    Are you sure? I had a brief talk on later year physics courses at the end of the first year and thought that they said they can only make you change if you fail a module

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Itchynscratchy)
    Are you sure? I had a brief talk on later year physics courses at the end of the first year and thought that they said they can only make you change if you fail a module
    yeah thats what I said isnt it? I'm not exactly sure about resits in later years but I know they make you change regardless of your first year result

ReputationRep:
    First year counts for sod all regardless of course structure, unless you fail (i.e. >40%) modules. I believe you can resit all 6 if you need to.
    Stop worrying, as we've been telling you all year.

ReputationRep:
    Ill stop worrying when I start revising... The Physics collection had better have been to scare us, that was some perverse **** right there.

I don't like the fact that it seems unclear what exactly we have to do, so I am just going to try and get better than 50% across the board and see what happens!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.