?
Report 13 years ago
I always thought it was Glucose
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Blood glucose....although it does end up being transiently converted to fructose (phosphates) during glycolysis.

In the normal fed state, the brain uses approximately 100g of glucose per day. During times of starvation, this may drop to 60g per day as the brain can synthesis enzymes to begin utilising ketone bodies. But under normal circumstances, glucose is used exclusively.
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
glucose, so yes, fructose as well.... perhaps one should say 'pyruvate'.
Stranded
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by nikk)
Blood glucose....although it does end up being transiently converted to fructose (phosphates) during glycolysis.

In the normal fed state, the brain uses approximately 100g of glucose per day. During times of starvation, this may drop to 60g per day as the brain can synthesis enzymes to begin utilising ketone bodies. But under normal circumstances, glucose is used exclusively.
Thanks
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by darkenergy)
glucose, so yes, fructose as well.... perhaps one should say 'pyruvate'.
I think saying fructose would be inaccurate as that would suggest an absolute requirement for fructose in the diet, which is not the case (luckily considering humans are pretty bad at uptaking fructose!). Again, to say pyruvate suggests that glycolysis is not required by the brain, which I believe also to be incorrect.

/pick pick pick :p:
Comp_Genius
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yes, but without fructose, regardless of its origin, will not result in glycolysis. similarly without enolase, puruvate won't be formed which means that the citric acid cycle cannot occur.

:p:
oxymoron
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by darkenergy)
yes, but without fructose, regardless of its origin, will not result in glycolysis. similarly without enolase, puruvate won't be formed which means that the citric acid cycle cannot occur.

:p:
Although pyruvate isn't the only possible input for the citric acid cycle. The brain can use ketone bodies in certain situations (ie starvation) so the citric acid cycle could still work without pyruvate!
Also, if we're being this picky then fructose isn't actually required, but fructose-6-phosphate is :p:

I can be pedantic too if I want to
Comp_Genius
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yes but our brain only use ketones for so long, and also, the brain needs both glucose and ketones for energy production, but ketones only lowers the glucose requirement.

oops, yes, i meant F6P since F is not actually in glycolysis. :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (45)
47.87%
No (49)
52.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise