rich001
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm a mature student and completed my A levels 6 years ago.

I sent my details to a course recently and they said my "Academic qualifications are too old for us to be able to consider them."

I've contacted a lot of universities in the past and no one has ever said this before. So, do A levels expire? :confused:
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
In theory no. However there are apparently certain courses where the Uni's wont consider you beyond a certain time (Maths? but I cant be certain).

I'd ask for clarification/explanation from the Uni concerned - by phone.
Lukeaxx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They don't "expire" - but in some subjects the information gained can become outdated very quickly.

For example with an IT A-level, after six years most of the information will be massively out of date.
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lukeaxx)
They don't "expire" - but in some subjects the information gained can become outdated very quickly.

For example with an IT A-level, after six years most of the information will be massively out of date.
Quite apart from the content going out of date (I'm pretty sure we've actually evolved as a species since I did O level biology for a start), universities often have a cut off for 'old' A levels simply because they want to see evidence of recent academic activity in a mature student to check that they are still on the ball, so to speak. What that cut off point is will vary from course to course and university to university.
rich001
Rep:
?
I self studied A level maths this year (got an A), would that count as recent study and make the rest of my A levels viable? I have AABB in total.
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rich001)
I self studied A level maths this year (got an A), would that count as recent study and make the rest of my A levels viable? I have AABB in total.
Only the universities themselves can tell you that. Call them and ask. We would only be speculating.
rich001
Rep:
?
They told me the maths A level would be acceptable, but they don't accept A levels that are over 3 years old. I've never heard of anything like this before.

I'm not applying for the course but tbh I think that is totally ridiculous and surely against equal opportunities. I'm thinking of reporting them to somewhere if I could.
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rich001)
They told me the maths A level would be acceptable, but they don't accept A levels that are over 3 years old. I've never heard of anything like this before.

I'm not applying for the course but tbh I think that is totally ridiculous and surely against equal opportunities. I'm thinking of reporting them to somewhere if I could.
I'm not surprised. You wouldn't get anywhere complaining. They can set their own admissions rules. I suspect each university you spoke to would set the bar differently.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.94%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (890)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.87%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads