indiekid
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Probably the last thing anyone on this forum is worrying about but anyway...

I'm determined NOT to get a laptop. They're expensive, break, get stolen, can't be upgraded etc. Do many people take their own PC's? Or would that be a ridiculous amount of hassle?

The way I see it atm, my dad's going to be doing 400-mile round trips six times a year anyway, shifting all my shtuff across the country... Is this what everyone does?

Any ideas? What are YOU doing/planning to do?

I like my PC... :rolleyes:
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
erm...you can upgrade laptops. I'm definitely going to be taking one. Generally most Colleges have ample computer facilities so its not necessary to have your own, but bear in mind how much stuff you can fit into the car and how much you're going to need - as to whether taking your PC is a viable option.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
There's a reasonable number of people with both. Probably slightly more have laptops but I'm really glad I have my PC - I hate laptop keyboards and it doesn't take up much more space than a laptop would - flatscreen monitor, and I keep the tower on the floor next to my desk. Mine comes home with me at the end of each term, it only takes 10 mins to pack up into its boxes.

However, if you want to be an irritating type who works on their computer in the library, (*clickyclickyclickyaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh*) then a laptop would be the way to go.
*Mike*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ive had my laptop since i was 16 (just over a year) and ill probally take mine to uni in 2007.
Jan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I am in love with my laptop..btw, all you british folk, stop complaing about 400-mile journeys 6 times a year in a car and think about internationals who have to carry all the stuff in their baggage on flights..ever thought about transporting a PC that way?
popop12345
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I bulit my PC with the intention of it coming to UNI with me!
Gael
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i'm worried about being a clickycliky person in the library everyone hates... :s

true say though i was in the library the other day and there was someone with a laptop and it was annooooying.
indiekid
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Cheers folks!

I think I'll have to take my PC, I like it too much...

I'll just take less clothes in the car or something

And fair point Honza lol... where will you be travelling from?
coldfish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm so glad that I took my laptop. Being an annoying clickity clack person int he library improved my productivitiy hugely.

(though I do only work in there stupidly late at night, so there's nobody there to disturb)
sarahliz12345
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm quite looking forward to being able to go to the library late rather than in the afternoon when it's busy... and I like libraries anyway
Sejanus
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I didn't have a computer for the first term, which turned out to be rather annoying, so I wound up getting a PC. My parents didn't want me to get a laptop as it was too stealable. Having a PC is ok, it packs up into 2 boxes, and you can put stuff like towels round the computer in the box to pad it out and to save space.
Aired
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think I read that the library at John's is open 24 hours a day. Does anybody actually use it at like 3 am? :confused:
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I've used the library at King's at really odd hours...
Jan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
And fair point Honza lol... where will you be travelling from?
not too bad, 'only' from the czech republic.
Loocy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Part of the reason I applied to King's was really liking the library on the open day.
Although this was partly because the guy showing us round raved about it for about an hour, he seemed pretty keen on it himself.
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
if you live at keynes, you'll love the library. it takes me about 30 seconds to go there, and it's just really convenient. in mich, i couldnt seem to get any work done in my room and spent ages there, but things changed in lent. i can see myself spending a lot of time there in the next few weeks though...
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
why stop at one computer? If you're making the trip, take several

A.
coldfish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Aired)
I think I read that the library at John's is open 24 hours a day. Does anybody actually use it at like 3 am? :confused:
*coughs*
No, not at all. I'm responsible enough to do my work far earlier than that! No rushing work late at night for me, oh no no.
Loocy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by visesh)
if you live at keynes, you'll love the library. it takes me about 30 seconds to go there, and it's just really convenient. in mich, i couldnt seem to get any work done in my room and spent ages there, but things changed in lent. i can see myself spending a lot of time there in the next few weeks though...
I stayed in Keynes during interviews... seemed pretty nice, not sure if I could afford ensuite though. But it's so close to everything, I might be prepared to pay the extra for being like 30 seconds away from the bar..
Gael
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
less computer space, more clothes space hooray!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (469)
66.62%
No (235)
33.38%

Watched Threads