Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Probably the last thing anyone on this forum is worrying about but anyway...

I'm determined NOT to get a laptop. They're expensive, break, get stolen, can't be upgraded etc. Do many people take their own PC's? Or would that be a ridiculous amount of hassle?

The way I see it atm, my dad's going to be doing 400-mile round trips six times a year anyway, shifting all my shtuff across the country... Is this what everyone does?

Any ideas? What are YOU doing/planning to do?

I like my PC... :rolleyes:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    erm...you can upgrade laptops. I'm definitely going to be taking one. Generally most Colleges have ample computer facilities so its not necessary to have your own, but bear in mind how much stuff you can fit into the car and how much you're going to need - as to whether taking your PC is a viable option.

ReputationRep:
    There's a reasonable number of people with both. Probably slightly more have laptops but I'm really glad I have my PC - I hate laptop keyboards and it doesn't take up much more space than a laptop would - flatscreen monitor, and I keep the tower on the floor next to my desk. Mine comes home with me at the end of each term, it only takes 10 mins to pack up into its boxes.

However, if you want to be an irritating type who works on their computer in the library, (*clickyclickyclickyaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh*) then a laptop would be the way to go.

ReputationRep:
    ive had my laptop since i was 16 (just over a year) and ill probally take mine to uni in 2007.

ReputationRep:
    I am in love with my laptop..btw, all you british folk, stop complaing about 400-mile journeys 6 times a year in a car and think about internationals who have to carry all the stuff in their baggage on flights..ever thought about transporting a PC that way?

ReputationRep:
    I bulit my PC with the intention of it coming to UNI with me!

ReputationRep:
    i'm worried about being a clickycliky person in the library everyone hates... :s

true say though i was in the library the other day and there was someone with a laptop and it was annooooying.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers folks!

I think I'll have to take my PC, I like it too much...

I'll just take less clothes in the car or something

And fair point Honza lol... where will you be travelling from?

ReputationRep:
    I'm so glad that I took my laptop. Being an annoying clickity clack person int he library improved my productivitiy hugely.

(though I do only work in there stupidly late at night, so there's nobody there to disturb)

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite looking forward to being able to go to the library late rather than in the afternoon when it's busy... and I like libraries anyway

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have a computer for the first term, which turned out to be rather annoying, so I wound up getting a PC. My parents didn't want me to get a laptop as it was too stealable. Having a PC is ok, it packs up into 2 boxes, and you can put stuff like towels round the computer in the box to pad it out and to save space.

ReputationRep:
    I think I read that the library at John's is open 24 hours a day. Does anybody actually use it at like 3 am? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I've used the library at King's at really odd hours...

ReputationRep:
    And fair point Honza lol... where will you be travelling from?
    not too bad, 'only' from the czech republic.

ReputationRep:
    Part of the reason I applied to King's was really liking the library on the open day.
    Although this was partly because the guy showing us round raved about it for about an hour, he seemed pretty keen on it himself.

ReputationRep:
    if you live at keynes, you'll love the library. it takes me about 30 seconds to go there, and it's just really convenient. in mich, i couldnt seem to get any work done in my room and spent ages there, but things changed in lent. i can see myself spending a lot of time there in the next few weeks though...

ReputationRep:
    why stop at one computer? If you're making the trip, take several

A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aired)
    I think I read that the library at John's is open 24 hours a day. Does anybody actually use it at like 3 am? :confused:
    *coughs*
    No, not at all. I'm responsible enough to do my work far earlier than that! No rushing work late at night for me, oh no no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    if you live at keynes, you'll love the library. it takes me about 30 seconds to go there, and it's just really convenient. in mich, i couldnt seem to get any work done in my room and spent ages there, but things changed in lent. i can see myself spending a lot of time there in the next few weeks though...
    I stayed in Keynes during interviews... seemed pretty nice, not sure if I could afford ensuite though. But it's so close to everything, I might be prepared to pay the extra for being like 30 seconds away from the bar..

ReputationRep:
    less computer space, more clothes space hooray!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 5, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.