Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My Paypal Saga watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I sold my phone on eBay in roundabout Sept. 2005 time. Buyer bought it using buy it now, and all was dandy. Got e-mail from him saying thanks etc, and he left +ve feedback.

61 days afterwards (notice it falls outside of paypals supposed 45 day limit) he initiated a chargeback, but gave no reason. I wrote Paypal a huge report with all the info needed in it, and they told me i had lost. This put my Paypal balance down to -£230ish.

Might add as well now, the bloke who bought it 'accidently' sent £100 too much and asked for it to be refunded. Fortunately i didn't, otherwise i would have sent him £100 there and lost a further £230. I have been informed that this is also a scam, and that from day 1 the intention is for him to get his money back. Logical, really. Just bloody irritating.

He did exactly the same to more than just myself on exactly the same days (eBay ID is punetk, but his account has since been closed). Coincidence? I think not, more like ignorance on Paypals part for believing his story.

Every couple of days/weeks since, paypal kept reminding me that my balance was in the -ve, and now my account is locked. Heard nothing for a month or two and now we have the debt collectors letter. Now, i have absolutely no intention of paying them. Essentiallly they are trying to cheat me out of my money, i have done not one thing wrong, yet i am the victim of this????? Doesn't seem very fair to me, but then after reading things on www.paypalsucks.com, that just seems to be that way that Paypal operate!

Never ever am i going to use or recommend Paypal like i used to. This event has really opened up my eyes to what really happens behind closed doors in their offices. I now only deal with cash/cheque. Needless to say, i shall never be using a company as bad as this again!

eBay, i must say it is such a shame that they have such a brilliant website that has obviously done so well, but then they affiliate themselves with such an awful company.

Rant over

In essence, PAYPAL SUCKS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lofty)
    eBay, i must say it is such a shame that they have such a brilliant website that has obviously done so well, but then they affiliate themselves with such an awful company.
    Paypal is an Ebay company.

Is there no way you can complain, how did he get his money back? He left positive so what was wrong?

Didn't they explain anything to you?

ReputationRep:
    Technically Paypal started as an eBay company, but i thought a yeasr or so ago they became independant?

I have tried numerious times to complain, to no avail. The paypal people on the phone are very nice to talk to, but absolutely useless at sorting out problems.

And no, i was told nothing about why a chargeback was happening...... they have some good customer relations in that building eh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lofty)
    Technically Paypal started as an eBay company, but i thought a yeasr or so ago they became independant?

I have tried numerious times to complain, to no avail. The paypal people on the phone are very nice to talk to, but absolutely useless at sorting out problems.

And no, i was told nothing about why a chargeback was happening...... they have some good customer relations in that building eh!
    Can't you go to the Citizens Advice Bureau? As they are ripping you off.

ReputationRep:
    This exact problem was dealt with Watchdog yesterday on BBC 1. One thing to do is to contact them and tell them your story, that way as the complaints build up watchdog can contact Paypal on your behalf and get something sorted out.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, as rahmed says, contact Watchdog, they've been on there for the last 2 weeks and seem to be getting somewhere with the complaints they receive.

ReputationRep:
    Take them to small claims court for the £210+costs. When they don't turn up to defend themselves or don't file a defence, then you'll win automatically and then they can whistle for their money.

ReputationRep:
    Try calling PayPal, if it comes to nothing then they aren't dealing with your complaint in the way that the FSA have said they must and since they are regulated by the FSA you can complain to them.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/we...en/fsa-outside

Hope it helps, I've had problems with PayPal too. They are really unprofessional with dealing with this sort of thing.

I've been selling and buyin on eBay for 3 years and only use Paypal. Its been great for me, but I know it is flawed. But I never sell to people in other countries. I think the guy u sold to was in India right? But contact Watchdog, saw the show yesterday, and its sellers who are complaining, not buyers.

ReputationRep:
    I was stung in a similar way and lost £300 to them for my iPod that i sold. I vowed never to use them again nevermind how convenient it is. I use NOCHEX now, paypal only as a last resort.

regards
    --marty
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Most problems with paypal are easily avoided if you read the T&C's and have some common sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Most problems with paypal are easily avoided if you read the T&C's and have some common sense.
    Obviously you don't understand the problems paypal has then :confused:

It isn't in Paypal's T&C's that it is OK every once in a while for scammers to make some money. At least not in the T &C's that i read. You cannot predict that it will happen, christ, seeing how easy it is to claim back money, i'm surprised more people don't do it!

ReputationRep:
    How old are you by the way?

If you are under 18 phone up the debt collectors themselves and tell them that you are a minor and they will refuse to chase you for the money. Gets them off your back and gives you time to sort things out.

If they guy is abroad then I don't think you can use the small claims court.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Lofty)
    Obviously you don't understand the problems paypal has then :confused:

It isn't in Paypal's T&C's that it is OK every once in a while for scammers to make some money. At least not in the T &C's that i read. You cannot predict that it will happen, christ, seeing how easy it is to claim back money, i'm surprised more people don't do it!
    No, you don't understand the T&C's

ReputationRep:
    Sorry? In what way, an explanation would be nice......

You're obviously a very clever person to know that i don't understand the T&C's when i didnt even mention them
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Lofty)
    Sorry? In what way, an explanation would be nice......

You're obviously a very clever person to know that i don't understand the T&C's when i didnt even mention them
    Why do you need an explanation? It's simple.

If you don't send by recorded/special (special in your case as ober £30) then you're not covered. If you send abroad (and you shouldn't for phones, coz that's a common scam) then you need to send that by a trackable method.

Also, the paying too much thing is so obviously a classic scam. If you are gonna sell high value items, you need to know about scams. They do make new ones, but you fell for about the oldest there is! That shows absolutely no common sense.

ReputationRep:
    Juno as an expert on Paypal's T&C's then you will of course know that sending by a trackable method is not the only requirement to be covered and by their own admission its very difficult to comply with their requirements.

(Original post by Juno)

If you don't send by recorded/special (special in your case as ober £30) then you're not covered. If you send abroad (and you shouldn't for phones, coz that's a common scam) then you need to send that by a trackable method.

Also, the paying too much thing is so obviously a classic scam. If you are gonna sell high value items, you need to know about scams. They do make new ones, but you fell for about the oldest there is! That shows absolutely no common sense.

She's right you know.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)

Jesus, nice to see you learnt to read!

For a start, i did send it recorded delivery, International Signed For if you must know. Still got the confirmation here, and it was signed for at his home address.

Oh and also, to clarify, i didn't fall for that scam. Lol. Hence the reason i said-

(Original post by Lofty)
    Might add as well now, the bloke who bought it 'accidently' sent £100 too much and asked for it to be refunded. Fortunately i didn't, otherwise i would have sent him £100 there and lost a further £230
    So please read the thread before you start moaning at me. Although congratulations on bringing things up that i have already mentioned

Oh, and i still don't see why its simple? In that how do i not understand Paypal's T&C's, i seem to have followed them quite well.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    My point is as soon as your saw he'd paid too much, you knew or should have known it was a scam. Therefore, you shouldn't've gone through with it.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.