The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

^^ As the above person said. BAE are absolutely HUGE, to get your mind around an organisation like that is always going to be tough, even if you work for them! They basically have their fingers in every engineering pie in Europe. As a matter of fact, BAE hold a 25% stake in MBDA.
Reply 21
Confirmed it today, they deffo dont do weapons although they have them on site they just implement the systems and use dummy ones for avionics. You gotta remember BAE make submarines and boats so it really is endless
I better tell my friend! His whole placement year, dissertation etc. are obviously faked :wink:

I assure you they do work in weapons since they work with explosives!
BAE are involved in weapons, they certainly had a big technical input at MBDA, which they part own. They part designed the Eurofighter.
Reply 24
Wo wo wo wo, they deal with weapons they dont make them. I spend 8 hours a day there and i know for sure that weapons are made by external companies.

They have dummy empty weapons so they can test the effect son flying e.t.c. but they dont make them.
Walker
Wo wo wo wo, they deal with weapons they dont make them. I spend 8 hours a day there and i know for sure that weapons are made by external companies.

They have dummy empty weapons so they can test the effect son flying e.t.c. but they dont make them.

Yes thats the point people are making. BAE don't directly manufacture them, but they are involved in systems development.
They don't do weapons but they do? How odd :wink: Does my company not 'do gas' because we only do R&D in it rather than make it? You're being pedantic, a company that does engineering with explosives for weapons works in weapons :rolleyes:! I.e. if you want to work in weapons engineering (design of weapons, ammunitions, high explosives etc.) BAE is a possibility!

I spend 8 hours a day at my place of work which is just a little smaller than BAE (sarcasm) and I don't know most of what happens on the desk next to me, let alone in the rest of the business. Half of the reason why BAE don't shout about designing explosives for bombs etc. is that it's hardly a 100% ethical business to be in within the UK.
I just typed "BAE weapons engineering" into yahoo, and first item is a job for a weapons engineer at BAE :wink:

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/jobseeker/jobsearch/job_detail.html?job_id=JT8VSSHT8
Reply 28
it will be implementation and testing the affects of weapons on flight

BAE DOES NOT MAKE WEAPONS.

Last time im openign this thread. I know for a fact they dont make weapons.

The post sounded like he wanted to develop and manufacture weapons as a career I was pointing out that that can NOT be done at BAE. There may be jobs for "bomb heads" infact there is one that sits 2 seats down from me in the Tornado department but he designs the attatchments and the guy in his little corner of the office works on the avionics effects of loading a weapon onto the Tornado
And all the contracts for the weapons systems that BAE have received in the last year? Fake? I am not sure if they do make weapons, i doubt they do, but they certainly design them. BAE still work in weapons engineering, for example, Astute attack submarine work.

Don't you think it would be odd for the UK's largest defence firm (quote BAE) to not work in weapons?! I don't know what more you want as proof that they work in weapons engineering. I am not sure what you think a weapons engineer does, design submachine guns? No, it's a lot broader.
Reply 30
JitsuCol
As far as I know, there is no field of 'Weapons Engineering'. In general the Electrical, Mechanical and Chemical fields of Engineering are good sectors to work in if that is your aspiration.

That said the entire field seems to be fairly murky, I know of people that are involved in missile guidance for example with companies that may well be better known for more peaceful products. Perhaps physics would be a good field to enter if you have the mind to turning theory into practical application. Always remember ethics though, a literal minefield!

Q.E.D.
This took me 20 seconds to find on wiki:
BAE plays important roles in miltary aircraft production. The company's Eurofighter Typhoon, Panavia Tornado and Harrier fighter-bombers are all front line aircraft of the Royal Air Force. BAE is a major partner in the F-35 Lightning II programme. Its Hawk advanced jet trainer aircraft has been widely exported.

BAE Systems Land Systems manfactures the British Army's Challenger II, Warrior Tracked Armoured Vehicle, M777 howitzer, Panther Command and Liaison Vehicle and L85 Assault Rifle. BAE Systems Land and Armaments (formerly United Defense) manufactures the M2/M3 Bradley fighting vehicle family, the United States Navy Advanced Gun System (AGS) and the M109 Paladin.

Major naval projects include the Astute class submarines, the Type 45 air defence destroyer and the future aircraft carrier.

So they make assault rifles, submarines, tanks, artillery, the warrior APC etc.

Yet don't work in weapons engineering :wink:

lol
Reply 32
Im not saying they dont recruit weapons engineers - or bomb heads, as i said above they do but they are there for implemantation of the weapons systems in to the aircraft, subs e.t.c. The post sounded like he wanted to actually be in R&D (Research and Development) in which case I was saying that you cant do that at BAE. They do not start with the raw materials and make weapons. They are contracted along with other countries like QQ, EADS. To me a "weapon" is to do with the explosive. If he means he wants to do the electrical end with the computers connecting to the cockpit e.t.c. then he can certainly do that at BAE.

Im trying to help this guy out, I know for a fact BAE DO NOT MAKE WEAPONS. If he is after an internship on the explosive side of weapons he cant do it at BAE. They do work in munitions (small rounds 5.56, 7.65 110mm shells - I assume you dont plan for a career here because they are just a piece of rifle brass and 2 explosive charges) but they are pulling out of that and have been doing for some times - i have heard rumours of some factories closing down. Im certianly not saying dont go to BAE, im working in the strike department with a few bomb heads and its worht getting up at 7 in the holidays for.

pghstochaj - I dont see what your problem is, and as i have been saying all along they do work in weapons but they do not do the explosive side of things.

The contracts you said it yourself, they are contracts for systems. They are not the production of the war heads e.t.c.

All along i have made it clear that his post makes it sound like he wants to be in R&D in the EXPLOSIVE side. They do make the sensors for the systems, they do implant the systems, they make the computers for the feedback from the sensors. On the boat sides of things they may appear to make the weapons but that is because unlike on an Aircraft they cant be attached later. Therefore the systems of the turrets e.t.c. are in place. Yes they make things like the turrets and 7.65 e.t.c ammunition but I feel you are talking about war heads - smart bombs e.t.c. torpedos, and from what i have picked up they dont.

All I have tried to point out is that BAE can not offer that. If he wants to go into this side of things, PM me by Monday and I'll ask around for you.
What a cop out...!

Anyway, I assure you, BAE work in explosives, I know for a fact, I don't have to look it up, you don't have to believe me, but I am right. I know since my friend I lived with for 2 years works in explosives for BAE!
BAE systems dont do weapons from what i understand

Yes they do, i gave examples before. L85 Assault Rifle to the warrior, BAE products.

The post sounded like he wanted to actually be in R&D (Research and Development) in which case I was saying that you cant do that at BAE.

BAE
£1.2 billion annual R&D spend

Make up your mind anyway, BAE don't do R&D yet don't make weapons yet do work with weapons? Hmm. Implementation is R&D in most cases.

they deal with weapons they dont make them

Given examples, yet you have changed your mind:

I know for a fact BAE DO NOT MAKE WEAPONS.

That's weird, they seem to think they do.

If he is after an internship on the explosive side of weapons he cant do it at BAE

Yes he can. If he wants to, he can PM me and ask me for the person to contact. It's in the Bristol area.

You may also want to read:
http://www.na.baesystems.com/releasesDetail.cfm?a=51

BAE SYSTEMS designs, manufactures and supports military aircraft, surface ships, submarines, radar, avionics, communications, electronics, guided weapon systems and a range of other defense products.

BAE SYSTEMS has been awarded a contract to supply explosives to the U.S. Army Joint Munitions Command (JMC), the Single Manager for Conventional Ammunition (SIMCA). The contract has a ceiling value of $141 million.

BAE SYSTEMS has been awarded a $7.2 million contract by the US Army to manufacture Composition C-4 Class 3 explosives

http://www.na.baesystems.com/releasesDetail.cfm?a=105

So, they make weapons, they do R&D, they make and design explosives, they make tanks, submarines, boat weapon systems etc. etc. so for somebody who wants to get into weapons engineering, BAE is the best place to start. You can't get more of a company than BAE for their products.

Just please don't post on something so blatently obvious unless you're right.
^^ As above poster said. Maybe explosives aren't sold badged as "Made by BAE" but that doesn't mean they don't do R&D in explosives. They have a huge investment in an organisation employing over 10,000 people which focuses purely on missile design and manugacture. Just because Mercedes badge expensive cars as Maybachs and sell them doesn't mean there is no Mercedes engineering in those cars. Engineering companies are very very rarely (if ever) standalone and always work by consulting others in their field of engineering.
Reply 36
Ok, I was just trying to get across what i have been told because i was looking at it. One thing i have picked up on though is that is all american so what i was told may just be on British Sites or even just in the north.
No, just that the UK press releases aren't as high as the US ones on google. My friend works at one of the Bristol area locations in explosives, so it's not just the US.
Reply 38
I am not writing to be told I am wrong, I am not writing to be snapped at and I am certainly not writing to say your wrong:

(Taken from the BAE intranet careers site)
If anyone who wishes to persue a career in weapons at BAE we hold a 37.5% stake in a company called MBDA

Their site is: www.mbda.co.uk

Hope this helps

Adam
Walker
I am not writing to be told I am wrong, I am not writing to be snapped at and I am certainly not writing to say your wrong:

(Taken from the BAE intranet careers site)
If anyone who wishes to persue a career in weapons at BAE we hold a 37.5% stake in a company called MBDA

Their site is: www.mbda.co.uk

Hope this helps

Adam

And I know as someone who has worked at MBDA that BAE worked very closely with the company on systems engineering. Hell we even had to call BAE computing help when our e-mail wasn't working.

Latest

Trending

Trending