The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

what if your shy?

Delete thread please.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by idealized
Im doing a course at queen mary, well i just started and all i hear is "you must particpate in seminars" "you must discuss & debate" etc etc

Im extremely shy and hate talking infront of people whether it be 20 or 2,

any one experienced this? Are there any problems if you dont participate in seminars and such?

Well I hope your shyness doesn't make you unsociable but from the seminars I've had you really don't have to say anything at all, I know some people who just sit there and don't say anything the whole time although the only problem is that in one of my seminars we've been told that some time during this semester we'd have to do a presentation in front of the 5 other people plus the professor but I haven't heard anything about that since

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
best thing to do is talk to your tutor who takes the class. he/she wont laugh at you and probably dealt with shy students before.
Reply 3
Original post by Imperial Blitz
Well I hope your shyness doesn't make you unsociable but from the seminars I've had you really don't have to say anything at all, I know some people who just sit there and don't say anything the whole time although the only problem is that in one of my seminars we've been told that some time during this semester we'd have to do a presentation in front of the 5 other people plus the professor but I haven't heard anything about that since

Maths student?
Original post by SimpleGirl
Maths student?

And I'm guessing so are you? :wink:

*listens and lurks*
Reply 6
Original post by Imperial Blitz
And I'm guessing so are you? :wink:

Perhaps.. :cool:
How are you finding lectures so far?

And I hope we don't hear about the presentation thing again, not particularly looking forward to that..

*OP, from the few seminars I have been to so far, not everyone speaks/has to speak; in fact, there are people who don't interact at all, they simply listen/take notes/ask for help when necessary etc.
Though, this may be subject depend; I do Maths so perhaps the 'discuss and debate' approach is less fitting in my case.
I think you should just try to engage more if it's expected but if you still feel it's a problem then just speak to your tutor, like others have suggested, and I'm sure he/she will be able to help you out.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by SimpleGirl
Perhaps.. :cool:
How are you finding lectures so far?

And I hope we don't hear about the presentation thing again, not particularly looking forward to that..

My favourite lecturer is the one we have for intro to probability by far!! :P

got to ask, what did you get in essential Maths??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending