Got flashed going through a red light. Please help Watch

This discussion is closed.
TrueUnitedFan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Please don't flame me, I know it's my own fault but i was approaching a traffic light, it was on green, then it went to orange and it was not safe to stop so I carried on.

I'm absolutely ****ting myself because of this and i'm litterally about to break up in tears. I'm 18 just passed in july.

Does anyone have a real insight into the outcomes?

i'm guessing 3 points and a massive fine?

I'm hoping it's an awareness course. Do they also have a set date to when they are meant to send out the letter where if I don't get it after a certain timeframe, it no longer becomes valid?

thanks for your help
FrogInABog
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If it's any comfort, I know exactly how you feel.

I only passed 6 months ago, accidentally went through a red a couple of weeks ago, and was ****ing myself for days. In the end, nothing has come of it, and hopefully that's the end of it.

So yeah, I feel your pain, and sorry I can't give you any actual help!
Ears
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If it was more dangerous to slow down, and you literally crossed as the light were changing, then it is more than likely that nothing will come of it. It doesn't sound like you really crossed a red light?
marcusfox
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You get 3 seconds on amber. Thats a pretty big whack of a distance even at 60. Even so, the red light camera has a short delay once the light changes to red to give drivers the benefit of the doubt.

If you got flashed, it's probably going to be 3 points and £60.

Better be careful from now on, if you do get the 3 points, you only have 3 more to play with.
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If in doubt, throttle out

Once you commit to not stopping for the lights, put your foot down. Decide early, to give you more time to either brake or accelerate. The more time you dither around slowing down, the less time you have for one or the other.
ROG.
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If it flashed twice and the film or recordings are there then it will be 3 points and £60 FPN
If I remember correctly the penalty code is a TS10
Michaelj
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm afraid if you got flashed and you wasn't paranoid then it's 3 points and a fine or an awareness course. I know someone who crossed traffic lights to let ambulance out and she got flashed and still got an awareness course.
ROG.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Michaelj)
I'm afraid if you got flashed and you wasn't paranoid then it's 3 points and a fine or an awareness course. I know someone who crossed traffic lights to let ambulance out and she got flashed and still got an awareness course.
FACT - no driver has ever been prosecuted for going SAFELY through a red light to allow a blue lighter to pass UNLESS they decided not to contest it

Usually such incidents are quashed before any NIP gets sent out but on the odd occasion when they are sent out all those who contested them have had them quashed by post
Michaelj
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ROG.)
FACT - no driver has ever been prosecuted for going SAFELY through a red light to allow a blue lighter to pass UNLESS they decided not to contest it

Usually such incidents are quashed before any NIP gets sent out but on the odd occasion when they are sent out all those who contested them have had them quashed by post
Well she was my course instructor and she told me she did get done. For what reason would a 55 yr old woman lie about such an incident? A wealthy woman who had her own business as well as instructing multiple courses?
ROG.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Michaelj)
Well she was my course instructor and she told me she did get done. For what reason would a 55 yr old woman lie about such an incident? A wealthy woman who had her own business as well as instructing multiple courses?
Ask her to prove it because the national newspapers would love to publish it

Plenty of others have said they got done for this or that but so far none have proven it to be the case

It is possible she went though the red light UNSAFELY in which case that would be a different matter
Michaelj
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ROG.)
Ask her to prove it because the national newspapers would love to publish it

Plenty of others have said they got done for this or that but so far none have proven it to be the case

It is possible she went though the red light UNSAFELY in which case that would be a different matter
I'll remember to go to the media if such an incident arises. I imagine most people don't go to the media when they get done for something (I don't think she did, I think she accepted it). There was that idiot who went to the media when she failed a test for splashing a pedestrian but that was a total different matter.
stew1988
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My friend did the same and he got arrested and put infront of a judge, he then got a 6 month jail sentence and was brutally played with by the other prisoners.. anyway, wont bore you with the details, but he killed himself..
Kage
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hmm, I have had it a few times where I've gone through an amber light because it was unsafe to stop. If it goes to red when you are in the middle of the junction, then I don't see why a camera should flash you.
If it was amber though for a while, and just as you went through, they went red, then yeah maybe, but I would have also thought in those 3+ seconds, you would have had chance to stop.
That said, we have all done it, but its very unlucky there happened to be a camera on it.

I hope nothing comes of it, as you learn from mistakes. I have plenty of times, but never through a fine
py0alb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just because it flashes doesn't mean there is a camera in it.
marcusfox
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ROG.)

You are wrong.

Mark Freeman from Doncaster was at traffic lights on red when he saw an ambulance approaching from behind with blues and twos. Being a considerate driver he moved forward to give the ambulance a clear route through, and was snapped by the red-light camera. South Yorkshire Camera Partnership and local magistrates were not impressed with his reason for crossing the line and he was given £60 fine, 3 points and lost £300 in wages while attending court.

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/...-laws-1-497020
py0alb
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by marcusfox)
You are wrong.

Mark Freeman from Doncaster was at traffic lights on red when he saw an ambulance approaching from behind with blues and twos. Being a considerate driver he moved forward to give the ambulance a clear route through, and was snapped by the red-light camera. South Yorkshire Camera Partnership and local magistrates were not impressed with his reason for crossing the line and he was given £60 fine, 3 points and lost £300 in wages while attending court.

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/...-laws-1-497020
I'd still do it, a £60 fine is a price worth paying for potentially saving someone's life.

*In fact I've done it before, loads of times.
TrueUnitedFan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I believe it was on this road below but this google maps shot seems very different to how it was last night, whole road seems different im 100 percent it's this one though. In the shot below it doesn't show any speed cameras or traffic light cameras at all.

address is 5 Yew Tree Lane, Solihull, England, United Kingdom

I only been down this road 4 times, twice going through and back, two occasions dropping a neighbour to work, if it wasn't for the **** asking me to drop her this wouldn't of happened. :mad: I know it's my fault though as I was driving...

I posted on another forum and according to them this website http://www.wmsafetycameras.co.uk/regions_gmapi.php

states there are no cameras on this stretch of road.

hmmm
Lamps08
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by py0alb)
I'd still do it, a £60 fine is a price worth paying for potentially saving someone's life.

plus £300 in wages?
py0alb
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lamps08)
plus £300 in wages?
Thats only because he went to court
InnerTemple
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by py0alb)

Depends how much extra it adds on to your insurance too. It may end up costing more than £60 overall. Also, with the 3 points you get, you can only do it a few times before you are banned...

Also, if anyone finds themselves regularly going through ambers because they felt it was unsafe to stop, then you are doing something wrong.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (225)
14.76%
The paper was reasonable (852)
55.91%
Not feeling great about that exam... (333)
21.85%
It was TERRIBLE (114)
7.48%

Watched Threads