Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Keeping Motivated watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I'm revising for my GCSEs at the moment, but I'm really starting to worry...I set myself a timetable for the Easter holidays which I've failed to keep to spectacularly!

Does anyone have any tips on how to stay focused for at least a couple of hours? It's just that I have so much to cover if I'm to reach my target grades and I'm starting to think that, maybe, it's time to buckle down and do some work....

Thanks guys

:tsr2:

ReputationRep:
    Being organised helps a lot. It's difficult to get on with things when you just stress and panic about how much work you have to do and how you're going to get it all done. What I find helpful is to write a list of everything I need to do, prioritise it and tick things off as I complete them, That way you feel more motivated because you can see you're getting through it. Also, don't worry if you can't stick to your timetable exactly. If you can't manage 4 hours a day or whatever to start off with, just do 2 hours or whatever you can and gradually build it up. Also, don't be afraid to reorganise your timetable a bit if, for example, you're invited out or there's something on TV you really want to watch. You need your relaxtion as well, and as long as you get the work done, it doesn't matter when you do it. Good luck meeting your targets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Being organised helps a lot. It's difficult to get on with things when you just stress and panic about how much work you have to do and how you're going to get it all done. What I find helpful is to write a list of everything I need to do, prioritise it and tick things off as I complete them, That way you feel more motivated because you can see you're getting through it. Also, don't worry if you can't stick to your timetable exactly. If you can't manage 4 hours a day or whatever to start off with, just do 2 hours or whatever you can and gradually build it up. Also, don't be afraid to reorganise your timetable a bit if, for example, you're invited out or there's something on TV you really want to watch. You need your relaxtion as well, and as long as you get the work done, it doesn't matter when you do it. Good luck meeting your targets

I will definitely take your advice and use a list to organise the work that I need to get through, that sounds like a good plan. Hopefully, using that method, I'll be able to gradually increase my workload whilst remaining focused.

Thanks very much

ReputationRep:
    Being motivated is the key to successful revision. Try and break your revision down into manageable chunks. Go out with friends & family, pursue a hobby, do whatever makes you feel motivated. If this isn't enough keep thinking of what you want to achieve: good grades --> good career. Listen to your favourite music. I find this helps to get you motivated.

Try not to devote all your time to revision: if you're always revising there is no way it'll sink in. You want to stay focused for a couple of hours - my tip: organise your revision to fit 2 hours before your fav TV programme then you have got something to look forward to! Make sure you have everything you need: equipment, necessary books, large drink! But I would advise you to get up after 30 mins of solid revision and have a break for 5 mins. Walk your dog (if you have one), get another drink/food, brush your teeth, talk to someone... The worst thing you can do is stay locked in your room for 2 hours.

ReputationRep:
    Have a treat at the end.
    If I stick to my timetable, I get a (usually edible) treat of like fish and chips or millies cookies or something just to keep my interest.
    Or say "well im going out with my friends on friday, so that day is free, but i must stick to everything else so i can enjoy that day properly"

1 day off a week works for me

ReputationRep:
    i ditched my timetable! i promise, i did try to use it... but it came to a point when i was only thinking about the time i would finish and i wouldnt concentrate on the exams.

personally, so far ive found out that you should rly have a watch too close to u (the one on ur cell phone will be enough) because then u get stressed out... but if you just try to do as much as u can and write notes and all that, u'll see time passes quicker than u think! and have breaks when u need too, except when u find you're spending more time on breaks than on studying, put a limit to it and make an extra effort to concentrate...

if i were you i would study by topics or something, so that it's structured but not limitative (e.g. not like a timetable). and allow yourself free time (e.g. watching a program on tv or going out for lunch or something) as your 'treat' for all your effort!

good luck everybody!

ReputationRep:
    Imagine your goal in life! Work towards it by revising...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Or nearer in the future.....think how great its gonna be when you get out of you last exam and your freeeeeeee! Thats whats keepin me goin at the moment! And revise in small chunks, say half an hour to 45 mins....ticking off what you've covered along the way. That way you can see what you've done and feel so chuffed with yourself

ReputationRep:
    Try getting Battle for Middle Earth 2, killing Orcs and Goblins always keeps me motivated, every time I kill a few I feel as if I have made Middle-Earth a little safer. :wink:

There are a few revision techniques such as drinking a lot of water, that keeps your mind focused and also makes you take a break (urinating) every so often.

Just give it a 100% and work hard til your last exam, imagine opening your results in August with a smile and that should keep you motivated.

ReputationRep:
    I ditched my timetable too - now I organise my revision the day before I do actually do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJ1990)
    Hey guys,

I'm revising for my GCSEs at the moment, but I'm really starting to worry...I set myself a timetable for the Easter holidays which I've failed to keep to spectacularly!

Does anyone have any tips on how to stay focused for at least a couple of hours? It's just that I have so much to cover if I'm to reach my target grades and I'm starting to think that, maybe, it's time to buckle down and do some work....

Thanks guys

:tsr2:
    I get that sometimes too, but I've realised that I'm just not the type of person who can study for hours on end. My brain works in bursts of about 30 minutes to one hour. After that I need to stop, otherwise my mind starts drifting away. So, I take a break and get some food and rest. After about 30 minutes, you can get back on track to studying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chugger)
    Imagine your goal in life! Work towards it by revising...
    that's if 'revising' is applicable to your goal.

i plan on starting a whole load of revision now.........and finishing at like 5 am, at which time i'll go to sleep till lunchtime + then start revising again........i seem to work better when it's dark! imo

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.