This discussion is closed.
Jahe
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Aplogise in advance if this is in the wrong thread. Looked at all the others but couldn't find anywhere appropiate to put this.

I am currently in year 13 and when I finish my Alevels I am looking into doing an open uni law LLB degree. I was wondering if it is worth doing it ? Do employees value it ? Would it give me entry to a career in law ? How long would it take me to complete if I did it full time ? Thanks
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
3 years if you do it full time, but if you're going to work as well I'd recommend only working part time. Doing two 60 pt courses and full time work (40 hrs a week) was REALLY difficult.

From what I've seen employers really value OU degrees because it shows you can motivate yourself and learn without relying on lectures etc. You sort of direct your own study. Also, many OU students have other commitments ie jobs, children, or disabilities which mean they would feel uncomfortable or struggle at a 'brick uni'. My current and past employers were really impressed when I said I study with the OU :dontknow:

I'm not sure if it'll be the same for law - that would depend on your aspirations.
Jahe
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by inksplodge)
3 years if you do it full time, but if you're going to work as well I'd recommend only working part time. Doing two 60 pt courses and full time work (40 hrs a week) was REALLY difficult.

From what I've seen employers really value OU degrees because it shows you can motivate yourself and learn without relying on lectures etc. You sort of direct your own study. Also, many OU students have other commitments ie jobs, children, or disabilities which mean they would feel uncomfortable or struggle at a 'brick uni'. My current and past employers were really impressed when I said I study with the OU :dontknow:

I'm not sure if it'll be the same for law - that would depend on your aspirations.
Thank, helps alot
amison
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lager_lad_69)
Its for people with a low IQ who can't get into a real university but still want to boast that they have a degree.
Woah, sweeping generalisation. I was accepted into four of my choices when I was still at school, but decided at the time I didn't want to go to university. After working in the real world, earning money, paying taxes and getting a kick start in my career, I realised I missed education slightly so have signed up with the OU to do a course with them which may, or may not, lead to a degree. So as for you saying that it's for people who can't get accepted into a "real" university, in my case, I'd have to disagree.
Smophie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't feed the troll!
Persipan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have a degree from 'real' university; I'm just doing another one for fun!
Simone.xox
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Its for people with a low IQ who can't get into a real university but still want to boast that they have a degree.
I got into five my of my choices, went to a red brick for two months & had to leave due illness. I planed to return to a different university, but didn't feel ready so I applied for The Open University. I'm now working & studying. Ignorant much?
Nitebot
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't know how I managed to gain two degrees from a brick Uni before I started with the OU then!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
PureDevotion
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Go to open days, they worth it, at least one, and of course attend the lecture for the course to which your applying. Seeing the university makes a huge difference, you'd know wether you'd stand a chance of being accepted. And you'd know wether you wish to go or not. To add to it, you earn information that will help you immensely.

So go.
TheMathematician
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by PureDevotion)
Go to open days, they worth it, at least one, and of course attend the lecture for the course to which your applying. Seeing the university makes a huge difference, you'd know wether you'd stand a chance of being accepted. And you'd know wether you wish to go or not. To add to it, you earn information that will help you immensely.

So go.
I understand that you want to make yourself feel superior. Must have been hard being rejected from dental school.

Some of us, open uni students, had the grades to become dentists but didn't like it. Good luck with your applications in continental Europe.
bownessie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The law degree at the OU was made in collaboration with the College of Law, so I get the impression that the LLB from the OU is looked on quite highly.
Renceface
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah I agree, not... I'm fed up of earning 60k for 34hrs work a week without a degree. I boast the free time to educate myself since I have a high IQ, I may aswell use it since I didn't try at school but scrape by being golden *******s in everything I do anyway. Hope you had fun eating noodles and beans whilst I was earning bare cash. And I'll still get a degree. And still be handsome.
Coffeeneeded
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I love it.
I'd consider your reasons for holding OU over a brick uni - it requires a lot of self motivation and you don't get that contact like at a brick uni. But I love this way of studying and am so glad I have had this option.

There are lots of Facebook groups for the law modules. It's worth joining a few and talking to people in the midst of it all. And the OU General forums can be good for finding out specifics about a degree good luck!
Gaz B
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well your a d**k. I have very well paid job out in the middle east as an Engineer and at 32 I am now thinking about getting a degree. So how do you come to the opinion that I, and many others like me have a low IQ?
Hedgehog1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What utter nonsense. I went to a brick university (Bangor) back in 1995 where I was reading for a B.Sc. in Biological Sciences and had to drop out due to bereavement. Now as a married man with a young daughter, I am studying the same course, which is just as challenging. Only with the added pressure that I am working full time, looking after my little girl and working full time. On top of that I am studying full time. Don't you dare be so bloody dismissive, I'd love to see you do a 37.hr working week and cram in a further 40 hours study a week, and raise a family! Furthermore, if the qualification is good enough to get into teaching (which I am hoping to do), or to get onto a masters or doctorate programme then it must have some credibility.
caito_o
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by amison)
I was accepted into four of my choices when I was still at school, but decided at the time I didn't want to go to university. After working in the real world, earning money, paying taxes and getting a kick start in my career, I realised I missed education slightly so have signed up with the OU to do a course with them which may, or may not, lead to a degree..
Hi, I left school in September and connect (if that's the right word) to what you are saying. I finished with A*, A, B, C but I didn't want to pack my bags and go off to Uni, despite being accepted. So I am now working, earning money, paying my way etc. but I miss education too. I would like a degree to boost my employment prospects, but still do not feel like I want to go to "proper" university.
What course did you sign up for? Was it one of the access modules? I am interested in joining the OU so would be interested in any comment you have on it Thank you
Camilli
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Dr. Leigh Shaw-Taylor, who more or less runs the Cambridge Group (social history/demographics), got his start with a BA from Open University before a master's at Oxford and a PhD at Cambridge.
misslaw1985
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The Open University LLB law is an accredited degree which is looked upon highly by employers. It is the same degree that someone would do in a brick university, it's just a different way of learning for the same qualification. You have to be highly motivated and work off of your own back at home to achieve your degree but there are monthly lectures and online webcam tutorials- these are not compulsory but are a real help. I took up a law degree part time with the OU in September and throughly enjoying the challenge of juggling family life and studies. My family solicitor started his career with a law degree from the OU too. It's definitely worth doing any degree that is accredited. Always avoid unaccredited degree's/courses as these do not necessarily cover the topics that employers want from an employee. Best of luck 🍀
Aviation789£
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Lager_Lad_69.One hell of a statement to make, because I’m very certain anyone with any kind of a brain would not make. I am an Airline Pilot and have been for 26yrs. I am a chief training Captain for a very respected Airline so please be assured that had i not had a full time job and supporting a family and paying my taxes (Unlike you) I would beyond a shadow of a doubt been able to get into a real university as you so arrogantly put it. I am doing a open University degree how unfortunate for me!!!!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (92)
60.93%
No (59)
39.07%

Watched Threads