The Student Room Group

Do you think parents have right over their own children?

Obviously this is bad place to ask this question but I'll bite the bullet.

There's too many children saying "I can do whatever I want, my parents can't control me".

Do they not realise that parents are ones who made them, raised them and put roof over their heads? How can they be so ungrateful?

Another point to make, I think parents should be allowed to do whatever they want to their own children as long as they're under 16 and as long as it does not affect them massively, in harmful way or ruin their life through school/childhood. This means circumcision should be allowed because they are not harmful, nor do they negatively affect person's life. However, I think till at age 10 which they can say no to circumcision which should be respected if it hasn't done.
Original post by Rtcw

There's too many children saying "I can do whatever I want, my parents can't control me".

Do they not realise that parents are ones who made them, raised them and put roof over their heads? How can they be so ungrateful?

Another point to make, I think parents should be allowed to do whatever they want to their own children as long as they're under 16 and as long as it does not affect them massively, in harmful way or ruin their life through school/childhood. This means circumcision should be allowed because they are not harmful, nor do they negatively affect person's life. However, I think till at age 10 which they can say no to circumcision which should be respected if it hasn't done.

Hmm.

Should parents have ANY rights over their children? Fair enough with property and personal actions, but when you create life, do you have any rights to control it?
Reply 2
Original post by The Polymath
Hmm.

Should parents have ANY rights over their children? Fair enough with property and personal actions, but when you create life, do you have any rights to control it?

Yes just because you own it. Otherwise why can't parents just throw the baby out once they get enough of this baby business?

Once you own it, it means you have responsibility to care for it and there should be consequences for not caring it properly.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Rtcw
Yes just because you own it. Otherwise why can't parents just throw the baby out once they get enough of this baby business?

Pretty sure you don't OWN your children.

And they can throw the baby out, they just have the legal responsibility to ensure that some other guardian takes over. If they accept the responsibility of raising a child, then they have to uphold it or see to it that someone else does.
Original post by Rtcw

Once you own it, it means you have responsibility to care for it and there should be consequences for not caring it properly.

They don't own it. You can put the child up for adpoption, give it to social services etc, some parents do this. I don't think they should be allowed to do whatever they want to their child, but of course, can act to discipline them within reason. E.g. I'm all for parents grounding their kids if they do something wrong, but not hitting them ...
Original post by Rtcw

*Parents cut money off*, can't do **** all then lol.
Problem is not all parents are responsible. Responsible parents have a right over their children.
Reply 7
Original post by Rtcw

Responsibilities and rights go together. Children are the parents' responsibility, so accordingly they have rights to go with them.

I will pick out you saying "parents are ones who made them" as if that was done as a favour to the kids so the kids owe something back. Nobody has children for the sake of that child, you have it for your own selfish (biological) desire (or for some crazy reason like for the Fuhrer).
Original post by Rtcw

I think everyone recognizes that parents have rights over their children. The issue rises as to what those rights are and where they end (ie. where the child's rights begin). For example I think everyone recognizes that parents have the right to make medical decisions for their children. So really its not a question of if parents have rights over their children, but again what rights and how far they extend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending